Author Topic: sleep problems  (Read 2221 times)

sleep problems
« on: 09 July, 2008, 10:07:47 am »
Mrs A is having problems sleeping.  Sh'e a nurse and works all sorts of mixed and irregular shifts two or three times a week, which obviously doesnt help.  But its got worse recently, certainly in the past 9 months since we moved house.  Any suggestions that might help?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: sleep problems
« Reply #1 on: 09 July, 2008, 10:11:54 am »
When moving house sleep patterns will alter, due to external events happening at different time and different houses having different noises.

The orientation of the house can have an impact on sleep patterns.

Things to consider:
Do we need blackout linings for our curtains?
does out heating system make a noise, however low?
Is there a train line/motorway/flight path within earshot (however slight) of the house?
Does the house have a damp problem? Mould spores can cause breathing problems which can disturb sleep

And deal with from there
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #2 on: 09 July, 2008, 08:48:51 pm »
Would your wife's doctor not prescibe a short burst of Temazepam.This might help her re- establish a sleep pattern.
I think it works as a hypnotic.

I have been on a small dose for years and half a tablet will send me quickly off after i have been awaken,usually about two am, for my old man's toilet wanderings.Lack of sleep apres tiddle(s) was causing depression.

I pointed out to my GP sometime ago that the tablets were thought to be addictive but he reminded me he was the doctor and at my age i had more to worry about than thoughts about becoming a temazepam junkie.

Feng shui,herbal tea or Nytol did little to help me.

N
Mal-odorous,liver-spotted, coffin-dodger.

« Reply #3 on: 09 July, 2008, 09:36:14 pm »
I think ingesting chemicals is an absolute last resort.
It's a bit of an indicator of stress and depression.  The obvious thing is to change the shift work patterns.

Finding an hour a day for serious cardio-vascular exrecise would probably work.

cometworm

« Reply #4 on: 09 July, 2008, 10:46:27 pm »
I use a piece of software called pzizz for my napping - they also do a sleep module for insomniacs. It sounds stupid, but it really works for me. You either run it directly from your computer or create an mp3 file for your ipod.

http://www.pzizz.com/

« Reply #5 on: 09 July, 2008, 10:51:00 pm »
As a shift worked I understand how disruption can take a while to settle down and find a comfortable routine. Moving house is stressful which can take a while to recover from. From the uncertainties to the unpacking and getting everything just so can affect stress levels.

Also a few other things to try

Move the bed
Try winding down before bed - so avoid stimulating things such as TV etc
Exercise is a great stress reliever and tired you out
Is the room too hot/cold

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #6 on: 09 July, 2008, 11:27:35 pm »
 How about 'melatonin' levels can they alter up or down with shift work?

Our daughter has melatonin to get her to sleep because of her disabilities but alledgedly milk contains melatonin so a hot milky drink can help get you off to sleep.

It could just be stress build up from the move etc.
"Don't stop pedalling"

« Reply #7 on: 10 July, 2008, 07:40:18 pm »
Having been insomniac since childhood, my naturopath gave me valerian tablets. I take two every night and I am guaranteed six hours of sleep, which is such magic. I hadn't realised how malfunctioning I was.

« Reply #8 on: 10 July, 2008, 08:09:13 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions  :thumbsup:  Mrs A isnt keen on the serious chemical route. She already regularly has a milky drink before bed anyway.  Moving the bed and exercise are the first two to try.  I've also suggested looking at what she eats late afternoon/evening .  Never heard of Valerian , but may have a look.