Author Topic: A random thread for cycling things that don't really warrant their own thread  (Read 107486 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
A good deed well done.  :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Would it be very wrong to add an omafiets to the stable? I suspect so, because their endearment to me is more about how and where I was riding this last week than the quality of ride (fascinatingly relaxed).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Would it be very wrong to add an omafiets to the stable? I suspect so, because their endearment to me is more about how and where I was riding this last week than the quality of ride (fascinatingly relaxed).

Will there be hills?  If so, a heavy single-speed without the full legal complement of brakes would seem unwise.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
To the dimwit riding on the road between Ely and our village after dark o'clock today, wearing black

GET SOME FUCKING LIGHTS YOU TIT!
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
To the dimwit riding on the road between Ely and our village after dark o'clock today, wearing black

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=76283.0  :)

Will there be hills?  If so, a heavy single-speed without the full legal complement of brakes would seem unwise.

Hills? London? nah.

Actually, the omafiets came as a surprise (there is also actually an opafiets with a crossbar rather than step through). It is a lot higher than expected, with a strange handling characteristics resulting from the high CoG and castor angle. Not sure what the gearing was - maybe 60" or thereabouts? So hills shouldn't be too much an issue, and the rear coaster is up to the performance.

But no, I think I will be resisting.

ElyDave

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=76283.0  :)

:-*

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
It's that time of year again.  The one where you can identify the nationality of the freshers by how they react to bicycle bells.

ElyDave

In Cambridge tourists and students alike seem to think the the cyclists will do all the work in avoidance, even on normal roads, which get treated as pavements

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary

Hills? London? nah.

Miss von Brandenburg, as a resident of Pystal Crapace, might disagree but then in Saarrff London the dragons need somewhere to nest.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
El Prez is just back from presiding over an FFCT holiday in Hendaye.  Over 50% of participants were on ebikes.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
I did a sample session at a turbo trainer studio today, using Wahoo Kickr trainers. I was astonished at how good they were. The way the ergo mode feature 'locks on' to a wattage in particular is brilliant. Far better than the magnetic trainers that I've used before. Not cheap though...!
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
It's a right skogfest out there today, with bonus flooding.

Won't be long until chutney season is upon us.  I noticed that one bit of lane smelled like November.

Cudzoziemiec

Don't know about November (though "as ugly as November" is a Polish phrase which I think transfers rather well into English) but there's a genuine October Lane down here in the Capital of WoE. http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=360012&Y=176537&A=Y&Z=106

ElyDave

It's a right skogfest out there today, with bonus flooding.

Won't be long until chutney season is upon us.  I noticed that one bit of lane smelled like November.

soem funny smells around here as well,  a mix of fermenting fruit and burning rubber somehow

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Check out the footware required for a Welsh Cycling event held in Llandysmul.   :)
https://twitter.com/rhiannonwalton/status/1178357672707592192?s=19
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

Basil

• Help me!
A lot of beech trees around here..  I can tell you that very thick beech nut and husk chutney is much worse than traditional leaf chutney.  Particularly when descending one of our local chevrons with poorly adjusted rim breaks.
Decided to dismount on the hair pin, shoulder first.
No damage.

Cudzoziemiec

At least there was no canal!

Basil

• Help me!
No.  But there is the Teifi, which in its current state would be much, much worse.

I must improve my upper body strength,  so when I use my upper arm as a fall cushion, there is actually some cushion.  :-[

Cudzoziemiec

I've got my Brompton, a highly prized and exceptionally rideable cycle, folded into something similar to the size of a triple gatefold-sleeve lp set of albums by Yes. It's the next best thing we have on the planet to a Harry Potter invisibility cloak.
Peter Finch, Edging the Estuary, 2013

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I've got my Brompton, a highly prized and exceptionally rideable cycle, folded into something similar to the size of a triple gatefold-sleeve lp set of albums by Yes. It's the next best thing we have on the planet to a Harry Potter invisibility cloak.
Peter Finch, Edging the Estuary, 2013

"Invisibility cloak" describes the effect they have on drivers, too.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
I was wondering recently whether I like cycling or whether what I actually like is bikes.

Before anyone deletes my account, I really do like cycling, love it, indeed. But there are times when I think I might love bikes more. I know it's not really an either/or thing. For example, part of what I love about bikes is the fact that they can be ridden. And I'm not crazy about the idea of a bike that will never be ridden (unless it's beyond riding, maybe).

But there are certainly times when I think I'd rather be fettling/cleaning than riding.

I don't care about this much (hence putting it here), but thought I'd mention it.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Who TF designs a rim brake frame with the seat stay rack eyelets level with the brake bridge?

I mean it works fine as long as you don’t want to install a back brake and a rear rack at the same time.

Answer to above may be Thorn. I've been trying a few racks I had and two of them foul the v brakes. Suppose I could run a rear canto or more likely will modify the rack to bolt on inside of stays. I was actually complaining about this last night to Jan