Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 479338 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #3900 on: 16 April, 2022, 03:59:33 pm »
Try using a rear-light as a torch when you get out of bed. You should see enough to have a visual reference and the light won't be powerful enough to disturb barakta. Won't clobber your night vision either.  I also have dodgy balance and it works for me. 

I just press the button that lights the LED fairy lights around the periphery of the ceiling to 5% of maximum brightness.  That's enough to not fall over (giving a 'horizon' makes up for low illumination), but not enough to see through closed eyelids.  Barakta will sleep through it, unless she's not sleeping properly anyway, sees the lights on and gets confused and starts asking me why the lights are on (and then can't see well enough to read my response, requiring further waking up).

We have a similar arrangement in the bathroom that comes on automagically when the motion sensor is triggered between sunset and sunrise, giving enough light to find medication, check for Big Hairy Spiders™, see if the toilet's flushing, have a bath when you've got a migraine, etc. without blinding yourself.  Something which I can thoroughly recommend.

The bigger problem is finding clothes in the morning if she doesn't want to get up, but 'twas ever thus.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3901 on: 16 April, 2022, 04:33:54 pm »
Try using a rear-light as a torch when you get out of bed. You should see enough to have a visual reference and the light won't be powerful enough to disturb barakta. Won't clobber your night vision either.  I also have dodgy balance and it works for me.

A technique I once used.
We've improved on that now.  Separate rooms.   :thumbsup:  She can read as late as she likes; I can listen to the iplayer.
We did try separate countries for a while, but it didn't really work.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #3902 on: 16 April, 2022, 09:19:29 pm »
We have several of those tiny glow stick things, that give a very feeble light. Not enough to disturb sleep, or to see by, but they do give points of reference to navigate by. Two on the mantlepiece to guide me to the door, one each side of the loo, then one on the door handle so I don't walk into the door on the way back to bed.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #3903 on: 19 April, 2022, 10:30:42 am »
A short Physio Approved bike ride yesterday, around 40 minutes or so, just under 10km.  :thumbsup:

My walking is still crap though, in it's weird neurological wading through treacle way.    ???

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3904 on: 19 April, 2022, 07:25:20 pm »
Do feet shrink in the same way that old people shrink vertically?
A poll conducted by the college found two-thirds of women claim their feet have got wider in adult life, and 35% said they have got bigger. And the survey of 2,000 British adults found 48% of men said their feet have got bigger, and 61% said they are wider.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jun/03/british-feet-longer-wider-say-experts
In contrast, my feet now seem to fit smaller shoes than they used to, but I'm not sure if this is actually my feet shrinking – and I'm not noticeably shorter than I used to be, so it would seem odd that my feet would shrink even if it's possible – or if shoe sizes are inflating in the same way as trouser sizes?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3905 on: 19 April, 2022, 08:12:38 pm »
Feet are getting fatter because people are getting fatter.
Mum's feet got longer in her last pregnancy, possibly because her arches sank.
I'm using larger shoes as my feet are swollen. Length appears unchanged.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3906 on: 20 April, 2022, 06:37:07 pm »
My feet aren't getting fatter – even if the rest of me is!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3907 on: 20 April, 2022, 06:52:02 pm »
My feet aren't getting fatter – even if the rest of me is!

Looking only at my own hands and feet, they are less fleshy now than when the rest of me was about as fat as I am now, in the past.
Maybe younger plump people have fatter feet.

Buying shoes for myself and Mum suggests lasts are getting shorter and fatter.

This is a pity because Mum needs new slim/medium soft Size 9s...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3908 on: 20 April, 2022, 07:04:56 pm »
Yes, it could be that not only are people in general getting fatter but distribution of fat is changing.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3909 on: 20 April, 2022, 07:10:41 pm »
I think ageing changes fat distribution.

Older folk have more 'central' fat.

'Bingo wings' feature on women who have been fat in younger years…

People are heavier in general now, especially younger folk.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #3910 on: 21 April, 2022, 05:53:51 am »
Bingo wings are a major problem for me now - at 50 years old and 40kg down from my adult weight.

I keep trying to find some kind of bolero thingie to wear under a t-shirt to extend the arms to elbows (my forearms are fine) but can’t find anything. Sleeve/arm warmers just roll down.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3911 on: 21 April, 2022, 06:09:13 am »

My feet got wider, but did not change length, I put it down to taking up long distance running. Now that I'm not running any where near so much, they've not gone back
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #3912 on: 21 April, 2022, 10:10:45 am »

My feet got wider, but did not change length, I put it down to taking up long distance running. Now that I'm not running any where near so much, they've not gone back

Tranverse arch has stretched allowing the feet to spread wider?

« Reply #3913 on: 24 April, 2022, 08:03:35 pm »
Mrs M had her other knee replaced on Tuesday, home yesterday (would have been Friday, but pharmacy).
She's hobbling around well, but the acrobatics & trampolining are still on hold.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #3914 on: 24 April, 2022, 08:05:30 pm »
Hope Mrs M's recovery goes well and she is able to both stay mobile and convalesce accordingly.

Who did the drawing?

« Reply #3915 on: 24 April, 2022, 08:23:13 pm »
Hope Mrs M's recovery goes well and she is able to both stay mobile and convalesce accordingly.

Who did the drawing?
Thank you!
One of my scribbles.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #3916 on: 25 April, 2022, 09:38:14 pm »
Excellent scribble! Thank you for sharing.

« Reply #3917 on: 04 May, 2022, 03:09:34 pm »
Anyone here have experience of Morton's Neuroma?

I've been getting pain in one foot, put it down to damage from an old old accident.

Location fits (between 3rd and 4th toe).
Worse in the morning when I get up.

Been on my feet a lot more than previously, what with dog walking plus a little bit of running.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3918 on: 04 May, 2022, 03:11:59 pm »
I think a forum member had surgery for this.
Might have been fboab but I'm not sure.

ETA… https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=116107.msg2513263#msg2513263

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3919 on: 04 May, 2022, 03:24:54 pm »
Morton's is a neuroma (lump on the nerve), which occurs on the nerves serving the toes as they run between the marble-shaped metatarsal heads. Pressure from underneath and sideways worsens the symptoms and relief of this can improve matters. This can sometimes be achieved by orthotics, bigger shoes/boots or a metatarsal arch support.
Sometimes it's necessary to remove the neuroma and this can result in numb toes.

« Reply #3920 on: 04 May, 2022, 04:21:19 pm »

Yes, I have. It felt like I was constantly walking on stones in my left foot for a couple of months about two years ago and I couldn't run without pain. I got a bit desperate, tbh, and I tried various things to try to relieve the pain.

I pretty much solved it with innersole in my cycling shoes that have a metatarsal pad. These ones: https://footactive.co.uk//metatarsalgia-full-length. It was trial and error to find the right innersole which could have been avoided if I had just gone straight to a podiatrist or cycling fitter that makes custom innersoles.

They felt very weird at first but now I don't notice them at all when cycling. Interestingly, I can't wear these innersoles when I'm walking as they are too invasive and press into my foot.

I know other people suffer badly so I'm glad to have found a solution.

« Reply #3921 on: 04 May, 2022, 04:36:49 pm »

Yes, I have. It felt like I was constantly walking on stones in my left foot for a couple of months about two years ago and I couldn't run without pain. I got a bit desperate, tbh, and I tried various things to try to relieve the pain.

I pretty much solved it with innersole in my cycling shoes that have a metatarsal pad. These ones: https://footactive.co.uk//metatarsalgia-full-length. It was trial and error to find the right innersole which could have been avoided if I had just gone straight to a podiatrist or cycling fitter that makes custom innersoles.

They felt very weird at first but now I don't notice them at all when cycling. Interestingly, I can't wear these innersoles when I'm walking as they are too invasive and press into my foot.

I know other people suffer badly so I'm glad to have found a solution.
Did it only hurt when on your feet? My foot is worse when I first get out of bed in the morning, which seems weird.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #3922 on: 04 May, 2022, 05:03:04 pm »
Yes, it did hurt first thing in the morning as far as I can remember. Those first steps were painful. Plantar fasciitis is also painful first thing in the morning which is associated with how tight your calf muscles are and the fact that you lay with your feet in plantar flexion.

« Reply #3923 on: 04 May, 2022, 05:21:35 pm »
Thanks

The thread Helly linked was also quite informative.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #3924 on: 05 May, 2022, 11:35:37 am »
My optician chain tells me their lens maker will not allow the near sight segment to be lower than 12mm in height, base of frame to top of segment, as they say that "you will not be able to see through it."  :facepalm: