Author Topic: Flickr Explore  (Read 4685 times)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Flickr Explore
« on: 31 December, 2012, 11:14:41 am »
Explore is something I knew about, but hadn't really bothered with before.  Then someone told me that a photo I uploaded yesterday made it to the Explore page:

It's hardly National Geographic, but suddenly I'm all narcissistic and chuffed  ::-)

Every day, the Flickr elves choose 500 of the most "interesting" recent images determined by a whole bunch of factors that nobody seems to really know or understand.  Chances are, much of the process is entirely automated, but it's clearly not just number of views for each image that puts you on this page.  There is much speculation in the groups about how you go about making the Explore list, but the consensus of opinion has it that the chosen images need to be commented on, discussed and favorited in multiple 'real' groups by people who are themselves regular contributors.  I should imagine that a real human reviews and selects the final cut, but there must be a fair amount of arbitrary number crunching to start with.

Anyway, I was unaccountably chuffed with making the list today with a street portrait I shot yesterday morning.  It got me thinking that I might have been explored before and never actually noticed it. 

Turns out I was right  8)

Anyway - I thought you might want to run yourself through one of the search pages - I note that our very own DocSquid got an Explore back in May of this year.  How many other YACF shooters got Explored, I wonder?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Re: Flickr Explore
« Reply #1 on: 31 December, 2012, 11:29:08 am »
Well, my sister has about 60 on there, my brother (Salvatore) has around 30 and I'm lagging behind somewhat on 0.

« Reply #2 on: 31 December, 2012, 11:45:12 am »
1 for me. Technically my photo but I didn't take it, just uploaded it.

Afasoas

« Reply #3 on: 31 December, 2012, 12:11:52 pm »
Well done Charlotte.
None for me :) ..but then I'm not a prolific Flickr user. I've only been uploading images to show them here.

« Reply #4 on: 31 December, 2012, 12:13:09 pm »
1 for me. Technically my photo but I didn't take it, just uploaded it.

Still makes me chuckle.

Flickr Explore
« Reply #5 on: 05 January, 2013, 09:32:38 pm »
I think I've had about 30 images explored at one time or another. It depends on how many people elect your photo a favourite and how quickly.  It seems to be related to how it is trending rather than how popular it is over a long period of time.

It is nice but seems to be quite random. People have picked very odd pictures to favourite and ignored ones that I thought were technically and artistically superior.
Spinning, but not cycling...

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #6 on: 17 April, 2013, 11:15:58 am »
My Nuncio's sister's last eight pictures are in Explore/were explored (or whatever the term is). I am the model in one of them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17516529@N00/
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #7 on: 18 April, 2013, 11:47:01 am »
Big fat zero for me too..   Must try harder.

flickr.com/photos/darkpoint
Just someone's butler

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #8 on: 18 April, 2013, 12:21:31 pm »
I think it depends very much on the community into which you post your pics. If they are very 'favourite friendly' and favourite a lot of pics then it will boost the ratings. If the group don't favourite many (are discerning) then you won't get hit.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #9 on: 18 April, 2013, 01:26:52 pm »
It's not necessarily to do with the number of favourites. I've had one Explored with as few as 3 favourites, and several more in single figures.

LEE

« Reply #10 on: 19 April, 2013, 01:25:18 pm »
My Nuncio's sister's last eight pictures are in Explore/were explored (or whatever the term is). I am the model in one of them.

Your sister's photos are very, very, good indeed aren't they?

« Reply #11 on: 19 April, 2013, 03:06:47 pm »
They're OK I suppose.

LEE

« Reply #12 on: 19 April, 2013, 03:21:55 pm »
They're OK I suppose.

Lie down and tell me about your childhood. You've never forgiven her for dressing your Action Man up in Cindy's clothes have you?

Blazer

• One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind
« Reply #13 on: 19 April, 2013, 09:16:53 pm »

Your sister's photos are very, very, good indeed aren't they?

+1 - stunning :thumbsup: (none for me BTW)

« Reply #14 on: 12 June, 2013, 01:17:48 pm »
Had a quiet spell, but quite a few Explores recently

Spinning, but not cycling...

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #15 on: 22 June, 2020, 07:10:21 am »
In explore today

Under Yahoo some real dross got into Explore. For some reason their secret algorithm favoured pictures of USAian yellow school buses, or refuse vehicles, often several from the same contributor.

The overall standard seems to have improved since smugmug took over.