Author Topic: The Hill Climb thread  (Read 9170 times)

S2L

The Hill Climb thread
« on: 13 February, 2020, 11:33:44 am »
I've decided to do a bit of hill climbing in the autumn. I generally get bored of doing Audax after June/July and need to refocus on something else... something different and nothing seems more different to Audax than a Hill Climb

I've signed up for the local Solihull CC Saintbury + Dovers in September, looking at my PB on both against past results would put me just outside a "bottom up" podium, so there is work to do... and I am mulling over whether to sign up for the Wrexham organised one up the Horseshoe pass, just because...

Anyone else interested in hill climbing at all?

Re: The Hill Climb thread
« Reply #1 on: 13 February, 2020, 01:21:49 pm »
Yes, I find it a refreshing antidote to a spring/summer of Audax. Totally different. I didn't do any last season due to injury and really missed it.

There's nothing quite like turning yourself inside out in 2 minutes.

« Reply #2 on: 13 February, 2020, 01:29:34 pm »
I tried it (I think there was some discussion on the TT thread), but it clashes with CX, and I prefer that sort of masochism! ;)

S2L

« Reply #3 on: 13 February, 2020, 01:30:55 pm »
Yes, I find it a refreshing antidote to a spring/summer of Audax. Totally different. I didn't do any last season due to injury and really missed it.

There's nothing quite like turning yourself inside out in 2 minutes.

I'm hoping to do Dovers in under 6 minutes and Saintbury in under 9 on the day, they are on the long side in HC currency... I think the records stand at under 4 min for Dovers and Under 6 for Saintbury.

Horseshoe is anyone's guess... I think the record is under 9 minutes, so maybe I can do it in 13-14...

« Reply #4 on: 13 February, 2020, 02:43:53 pm »
One of my weaknesses is climbing so I decided to tackle my issues head on. I have gone for my first AAARtY (which is pending final verification) and a couple of years ago I signed up to do the Col de Hinton run by Bath CC near Wellow. At the time I only belonged to Audax Club Bristol which wasn’t signed up by the Time Trial body. So because of paperwork anomalies I wasn’t allowed to enter. Now ACB are and I should be ok as well as also belonging to a local road club. (Somer Valley CC)

Knowing I wasn’t going to be any good or beat much of the competition,  I had entered myself on my cargo bike in the ‘inappropriate’ category. Hopefully I’ll give it a shot this year if Dave Atkinson can bare the embarrassment.

Phil W

« Reply #5 on: 13 February, 2020, 06:49:41 pm »
How steep are the hills typically or is there no typical?

« Reply #6 on: 13 February, 2020, 07:41:06 pm »
https://veloviewer.com/segment/721152/Hinton+Hill+Climb

https://veloviewer.com/segment/782830

These are two I have watched events on. We’ve all done stuff like this but you should see how fast these climbers do them Scary. Over 7 watts/kg needed to claim the kom on Hinton Hill. And over 4 watts/kg to claim the qom!

Phil W

« Reply #7 on: 13 February, 2020, 07:53:49 pm »

These are two I have watched events on. We’ve all done stuff like this but you should see how fast these climbers do them Scary. Over 7 watts/kg needed to claim the kom on Hinton Hill. And over 4 watts/kg to claim the qom!

Where did you fall on this spectrum on the cargo bike?

S2L

« Reply #8 on: 13 February, 2020, 08:37:30 pm »

No typical...

Winnats pass is probably as steep as they get and Long Hill from Buxton probably as shallow as they get.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #9 on: 13 February, 2020, 09:48:18 pm »

To get a feeling for the sport and terrain, Paul Jones's book about it is a very good read. 

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #10 on: 13 February, 2020, 10:55:43 pm »

No typical...

Winnats pass is probably as steep as they get and Long Hill from Buxton probably as shallow as they get.

Riber hill up from Matlock is steeper than Winnats... 25% vs 20%. Winnats is a tad longer, though.

32.   Riber               Matlock   162m   Avg: 9%   1.8 km   Max: 25%
33.   Winnats Pass   Derbys.   198m       12%   1.7 km   20%
34.   Rowsley Bar   Derbys.   140m         13%   1.1 km   25%

See: https://cyclinguphill.com/100-climbs/

(I've never raced them but I have ridden all those used for racing in the Derbyshire Peaks!)

S2L

« Reply #11 on: 14 February, 2020, 07:40:21 am »

To get a feeling for the sport and terrain, Paul Jones's book about it is a very good read. 

Second that, very good indeed

« Reply #12 on: 14 February, 2020, 09:03:07 am »

Where did you fall on this spectrum on the cargo bike?

;D I suspect if I take up the challenge this year I won’t be measuring in Watts/kg. More likely in the number of days it’ll take me to get to the top.

rob

« Reply #13 on: 15 February, 2020, 03:14:23 pm »
My clubs event here :-

http://www.catfordcc.co.uk/events/hill_climb.aspx

Oldest bike race in the UK.  Short and very steep.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14 on: 15 February, 2020, 03:33:33 pm »
Oldest cycling event in the world still being held, I thought. The Catford hill climb is older than PBP and held much more frequently.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

S2L

« Reply #15 on: 15 February, 2020, 03:37:00 pm »

I'd love to do that one... only problem it's a 5 hour round trip by car to ride 4 minutes

rob

« Reply #16 on: 15 February, 2020, 04:21:16 pm »
Oldest cycling event in the world still being held, I thought. The Catford hill climb is older than PBP and held much more frequently.

Good point.  I’m a little off message.

rob

« Reply #17 on: 15 February, 2020, 04:22:42 pm »

I'd love to do that one... only problem it's a 5 hour round trip by car to ride 4 minutes

There’s usually a double with the Bec event just down the road in the afternoon.   Also there’s a station pretty close.

S2L

« Reply #18 on: 15 February, 2020, 05:05:14 pm »

There’s usually a double with the Bec event just down the road in the afternoon.   Also there’s a station pretty close.

It's not the environmental concern... it's just the idea of travelling the other side of the country to climb a small hill and probably finish in the bottom third.
Anyway, off topic... maybe one day if I can pair it with something else to do on the same weekend

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #19 on: 15 February, 2020, 06:13:24 pm »
Do you normally finish in the top 3rd of races? What sort?

[I have no idea of your abilities - just curious ... ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

S2L

« Reply #20 on: 15 February, 2020, 08:28:41 pm »
Do you normally finish in the top 3rd of races? What sort?

[I have no idea of your abilities - just curious ... ]

Haven't done a competitive hill climb yet, but I can anticipate I won't, but if I did I'd probably be keener to travel further to race  :thumbsup:

« Reply #21 on: 16 February, 2020, 12:36:02 am »
The Rake at Ramsbottom has been mentioned.  It's only a little over half a mile, averages 1 in 11 and has a maximum gradient of between 1 in 4 and 1 in 5.  When the Tour of Britain went up it last summer I heard that a Russian was off the front and he flew up - in the saddle.  The record (by a local, because no-one wants to travel up here just to be humiliated) is about 2.15.  I did it in about 3 in my mid sixties - but that was descending........ .

I did once beat the illustrious T of Britain winner Bill Bradley up Ripponden Bank but I was about 15 years younger than him!

S2L

« Reply #22 on: 16 February, 2020, 07:02:02 am »
I heard that a Russian was off the front and he flew up - in the saddle. 

These days we have gears to do that. I did Hardknott and Wrynose in the saddle and always do Bushcombe lane in the saddle... gives you more control and better balance over rocking left and right on the pedals... it also prevents the rear wheel from slipping

« Reply #23 on: 16 February, 2020, 12:58:55 pm »
The point being that ALMOST NOBODY can do the Rake (or the Hardknott- Wrynose route) in the saddle - even with the dinnerplates available today.  I envy you your prowess!  (And probably your age....?)

S2L

« Reply #24 on: 16 February, 2020, 01:22:08 pm »
The point being that ALMOST NOBODY can do the Rake (or the Hardknott- Wrynose route) in the saddle - even with the dinnerplates available today.  I envy you your prowess!  (And probably your age....?)

I did Hardknott on 36 x 36 and Wrynose I think it was 36 x 34... I don't think it's harder by being in the saddle, in fact it is easier to keep balance, provided you can keep turning the pedals (slowly) and place enough weight on the bars to avoid the front wheel taking off. If you stand up, the rear wheel will lose traction, unless the tarmac is perfectly dry.

Last weekend (before Ciara) I did a ride with 7 steep climbs, I couldn't stand up on any of them, as the surface was so slimy...