Author Topic: B&M USB werk problems  (Read 1381 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
B&M USB werk problems
« on: 09 January, 2017, 06:42:12 pm »
So, while out yesterday on the M5, the garmin was charging quite happily from the USB Werk until it suddenly stopped about 35km into the ride "external charging lost".

Today I took another look at it and realised that the cable to the USE Werk was long enough to allow me to remove the extra cable I'd spliced in - working on the basis that more joints in cables is bad - and reconnected to the dynamo. Hard to judge when just spinning the front wheel by hand, but I seemed to be able to detect voltage at the output of the USB werk and had a few flashes of external power to the Garmin, I think. 

Anything else anyone would recommend, or just keep fingers crossed and take it our for a ride to check?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Re: B&M USB werk problems
« Reply #1 on: 12 January, 2017, 04:56:25 pm »
Are you not using the supplied "Piggy back" spade ends supplied with the USB Werk?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2 on: 12 January, 2017, 09:00:35 pm »
Don't need to with a shimano hub, twist together the wires for the light and the USB-werk and poke them into the lego block together.

Now I've removed the superfluous extension, I'm just using the weatherproofed OEM connectors.

I'll give it a test run this weekend w.p.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #3 on: 13 January, 2017, 11:11:50 am »
Ah.....OK.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 13 January, 2017, 01:44:24 pm »
One thing I've found with the USB-Werk is that if the internal battery becomes fully depleted it pretends to be broken for a while until it's trickle-charged it back to life.  Which means you need 10 minutes of cycling rather than a wheel spin to see whether it's working or not.