General Category > OT Knowledge

Solid wall buildings part elebenty - alternatives to lath and plaster

<< < (2/70) > >>

Mrs Pingu:
There is a chimney on this gable wall. Therefore no guttering or any piping of any sort. There is no dpc.
Probably most likely coming in the chimney from some direction.  It was all supposed be newly cemented etc in the summer but the traditional buildings bloke reckon the slater had done a suboptimal job and the surveyor reckoned the cement around the chimney pots had been covered up rather than replaced so that's all part of the work being done in the spring.
It's not anything I didn't already know about, it just seems to be particularly bad this week.

Canardly:
When they do the work pay particular attention to the flashings/soaker to the back gutter (and sides) of the Stack. A sand and cement fillet to the tiles/slates on its own is not good enough and could explain the water running down the wall in the loft. See Lead Sheet Associaion chimney flashing.

Difficult to point you at something without seeing it but the construction of the  midfeathers and gathering in the chimney are also potential problem areas however running water coming into the loft  points to the above sources of ingress.

If you can get the water ingress issue sorted then the subsequent issues can be dealt with accordingly.

Mrs Pingu:
Again, I remain at the tender mercies of my tradespeople. This lot seem to have a nationwide rep though and do lots of historic buildings work, so fingers crossed.

So, nobody used wood wool board then?

Jaded:
All I can add is that the water source needs to be addressed. We've just done that, well, about 5 different water sources*, and now we can start repairing the internal damage.

1 - flat roof failure
2 - flashing on stone wall abutting the flat roof loose
3 - frost damage to the stone around this flashing
4 - flashing between original gable wall and new extension pitched roof in the same condition as 2
5 - frost damage to the stone around this flashing
6 - incompetent formation of lead in gully: 12 foot length beginning to fail
7 - incompetent formation of lead in gully: split in joint almost certainly created when the lead was put down
8 - some other things

OK  - so more than 5 but lots of different things. The first 5 resulted in water coming in in the same place.

Canardly speaks sense. Particularly about the risk of cement instead of lead. Are you able to stand back from the chimney (e.g. with binoculars in a neighbours) to see if there is a gap between the cement and the chimney?

Asterix, the former Gaul.:

--- Quote from: Mrs Pingu on 04 January, 2016, 10:17:17 pm ---Again, I remain at the tender mercies of my tradespeople. This lot seem to have a nationwide rep though and do lots of historic buildings work, so fingers crossed.

So, nobody used wood wool board then?

--- End quote ---

If I employed a builder I would expect them to offer me advice on what needed doing; have these people no opinion?

My barn had a damp wall that only came to light when I pierced it for windows.  It was a rain-facing wall so first off I repointed it.  It looked a lot nicer after but was just as wet. 

After much thought I realised the water was being blown in under the tiles.   It is amazing how much water wind can move horizontally!  After fitting deeper edge flashings the wall started to dry out.  It'll take a year or two before it is completely dry being 70-80cm thick.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version