Author Topic: Tour de France 1935  (Read 1391 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Tour de France 1935
« on: 03 July, 2013, 11:04:32 am »
***May Contain Spoilers***  ;D

No, I've not gone crazy, or slipped  through a hole in the space-time continuum or any such...

I saw a link to these photos on another forum, and I thought folk would like to share.

By Robert Capa, who was not known for sports photography, but produced some great images here.

There is some doubt about the date Magnum have put on it (a couple, including my favourite, are actually captioned 1939).  Some photos are thought to be of a later Tour.  More knowledgeable folks than myself may be able to judge that.  Anyway, enjoy the photos:

http://www.magnumphotos.com/C.aspx?VP3=CMS3&VF=SearchDetailPopupPageFS&ALID=2K7O3R1PEZ7W
Getting there...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Tour de France 1935
« Reply #1 on: 03 July, 2013, 11:16:00 am »
Some great pics there. Thanks for that.

Apparently, Pierre Cloarec won two stages in 1939, one of them being the stage to Brest - presumably the one that went past his bike shop, which is captioned "Brittany".

Didn't win another race after that year though, which suggests his career was cut off in its prime by certain other events.  :(
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2 on: 04 July, 2013, 11:46:35 am »
I tried to find a pictuire of Wiggins and Martin slumped against the barriers after the Olympics TT, but couldn't. Inevitably most of the pictures are triumphalist, but this one sums up a lot, it's the moment when Wiggins has completed his task by winning the Tour de France without sacrificing his Olympic heritage. I like the way the breath-rite strip on his nose echoes the Duck Tape on his bar risers.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #3 on: 04 July, 2013, 11:59:36 am »
Very nice, not pictures but a movie from the TdF 1962 here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=O37PyhmVEGs

I like the way they get supplies.

« Reply #4 on: 04 July, 2013, 12:27:21 pm »
They should bring back bistro raiding. Maybe they could even have a new jersey for the rider who managed to blag the most expensive drinks.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 09 July, 2013, 10:10:39 am »
Some good pics there, thanks. I especially enjoyed the ones of the riders resting with the crowds, and "Cyclists hitch their bicycles over their shoulders and climb the hedges as the route is changed." - plus ca change!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.