General Category > The Knowledge

Expensive Waterproof Jackets - Worth it?

(1/14) > >>

Christophe:
Morning

This has probably been done to death but after real world experience. I'm looking at buying a waterproof where I am not going to 'boil in the bag'. Looking at various options and some of the prices are eye watering.

What I'm after is :

1. Are they worth paying for??

2. Recommendations!

Cheers

Chris

quixoticgeek:

--- Quote from: Christophe on 14 October, 2020, 10:08:10 am ---Morning

This has probably been done to death but after real world experience. I'm looking at buying a waterproof where I am not going to 'boil in the bag'. Looking at various options and some of the prices are eye watering.

What I'm after is :

2. Recommendations!

--- End quote ---

i give this a massive "DEPENDS!"

I have had a selection of waterproof jackets over the years, but none have been as good as my Paramo Quito.

It's too warm for use in summer, but for Autumn, Spring, and Winter, it's the best I've ever had. I got it I think in 2012. I've had the main zip replaced once already, and it's currently in to have the pit zips and the main zip replaced, as well as a couple of areas where I'm wearing through the fabric. This is costing me about £120 for the repairs, but a new jacket is €350. And I really do need the jacket. Also I'd rather keep one going, than buy a new one, what with the environment and all that.

The pit zips mean you can vent things to get the temp just right, I've never found anything that can breathe as well as Paramo. And it's very comfortable to wear. Can you tell I'm a fan? But because of the different approach (so called analogy fabric), there are no taped seams, so you can just undo the stitching, and do repairs. Which dramatically prolongs the life of the jacket. Something you can't really do with taped seam membrane jackets.

I am looking for a membrane type jacket to use when racing in the summer, but I am really struggling to find a cycling specific membrane based jacket that has a hood and pit zips. Not sure why.

A good waterproof jacket is worth it, cheap ones are just another proof of Sam Vimes Theory...

J

DuncanM:
What sort of riding do you want to do? I don't think any jacket is suitable for sustained hard efforts and gentle pootles (or 4 season usage), so use cases are vital to recommendations.

quixoticgeek:

--- Quote from: DuncanM on 14 October, 2020, 10:24:01 am ---What sort of riding do you want to do? I don't think any jacket is suitable for sustained hard efforts and gentle pootles (or 4 season usage), so use cases are vital to recommendations.

--- End quote ---

Disagree. I use my Quito jacket (see love letter above). For training, including HIIT in the rain, as well as Audaxes (when you're doing them in over 13 hours, that counts as a gentle pootle), as well as temps down to -7°C.

J

jiberjaber:

--- Quote from: Christophe on 14 October, 2020, 10:08:10 am ---Morning

What I'm after is :

2. Recommendations!

Cheers

Chris

--- End quote ---

Yes - Gore shakedry 1985.

There's a lot of new versions and also other companies using the material available now but it really is the best jacket I have ever owned based on packed size, weight and performance. The only thing I would change is having a longer back section, but that may be available in other styles now. 

IMHO, Other options are available but perhaps not meeting those 3 areas.

If only I'd remembered to take it with my on that french ride!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version