Author Topic: [HAMR] Current thoughts on the record attempt?  (Read 253796 times)

Re: Current thoughts on the record attempt?
« Reply #825 on: 20 December, 2015, 06:13:54 pm »
There must be a highest annual mileage in a velomobile, I wonder what it is?

« Reply #826 on: 20 December, 2015, 06:30:54 pm »
Are fairings allowed under UMCA rules?

nope.

Yes.  From the UMCA rules:

"SOLOS:
Age Groups: 18-49, 50-59, 60-69 and Over 70
Bicycle Type: Standard, Recumbent and HPV"

A velomobile is an HPV (Human Powered Vehicle), it just can't be compared against a std or 'bent for Championship purposes.

LMT

« Reply #827 on: 20 December, 2015, 07:33:02 pm »

nope.

"SOLOS:

A velomobile is an HPV (Human Powered Vehicle), it just can't be compared against a std or 'bent for Championship purposes.

Rule 5...or otherwise I'd borrow a WAW, rent a place in Norfolk and put in over 100000 miles for the year easy.

The HPV you refer to would be something like a hand cycle or an eliptigo et al.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #828 on: 20 December, 2015, 07:36:32 pm »

nope.

"SOLOS:

But from the HAMR rules:

Quote from: UMCA

Rider may use any bike type, or combination of bike types, except for faired recumbents. There will not be separate record categories based on bike type. (This means standard frame bikes and recumbents will be on equal basis for this record.)

(My emphasis)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #829 on: 20 December, 2015, 07:50:45 pm »
For months I've been baffled as to why Tarzan doesnt use the recumbent for most of his mileage. He seemed to go OK in it early on, so surely there were enough miles in the year to get comfortably adapted.

There can't be any doubt that his choice of terrain/roads suit a down-wrong. Can there?  :-\
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #830 on: 20 December, 2015, 07:59:47 pm »

nope.

"SOLOS:

But from the HAMR rules:

Quote from: UMCA

Rider may use any bike type, or combination of bike types, except for faired recumbents. There will not be separate record categories based on bike type. (This means standard frame bikes and recumbents will be on equal basis for this record.)

(My emphasis)

Does this mean that LMT is going to ...

... borrow a WAW, rent a place in Norfolk and put in over 100000 miles for the year easy.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #831 on: 20 December, 2015, 08:05:26 pm »
Sorry PB, but I think a WAW is fully-faired - so we'll have to give LMT the b-of-the-d on that one :P

Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #832 on: 20 December, 2015, 08:11:23 pm »
Sorry PB, but I think a WAW is fully-faired - so we'll have to give LMT the b-of-the-d on that one :P

A WAW, yesterday.  Strictly forbidden.

LMT

« Reply #833 on: 20 December, 2015, 08:12:35 pm »
For months I've been baffled as to why Tarzan doesnt use the recumbent for most of his mileage. He seemed to go OK in it early on, so surely there were enough miles in the year to get comfortably adapted.

There can't be any doubt that his choice of terrain/roads suit a down-wrong. Can there?  :-\

What's a down-wrong?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #834 on: 20 December, 2015, 08:15:16 pm »
Opposite of an upright.

HTH
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

LMT

« Reply #835 on: 20 December, 2015, 08:16:43 pm »
Very nice Mr L, I'm thinking around the 180w mark to get upto cruising speed of around 28mph. Fully faired and a trike means any weather, ice or not. My FTP is around the 330w mark so 180w would be a recovery ride. The biggest problem would be boredom when doing the miles but I'd rig some sort of music system to keep me going.

LMT

« Reply #836 on: 20 December, 2015, 08:18:21 pm »
Opposite of an upright.

HTH

Not really, what's an upright?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #837 on: 20 December, 2015, 08:32:41 pm »
A 'normal' bicycle.
Saddle above pedals and usually about level with handlebars.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #838 on: 20 December, 2015, 08:33:29 pm »
A 'normal' bicycle.

AKA a DF (diamond-framed) bicycle.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #839 on: 20 December, 2015, 09:45:15 pm »
A 'normal' bicycle.

AKA a DF (diamond-framed) bicycle.

AKA 'upwrong' or 'wedgie'

Martin

« Reply #840 on: 20 December, 2015, 10:16:47 pm »
Steve carries on not cos it's good strategy but cos he's an audaxer, it's just what he does - like scorpion and frog.
If he is calling it a day he might as well at least see the year out, there's only ten or so days left now, even if the chances of breaking the record are minimal.

I can't see Steve stopping at any point before August myself

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #841 on: 20 December, 2015, 11:44:25 pm »
and why should he when all we have got is a rather sad bunch of people who would never consider doing it themselves saying "I wouldn't do it like that!"  ???
It is simpler than it looks.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #842 on: 21 December, 2015, 12:15:58 am »
You must think that Steves original approach was the ONLY possible way to do it -- which just has to be wrong ( and pretty stupid as an analysis too )  . Historically he would never have accepted a vehicle transfer -- but now realising that this could increase his mileage - he is very likely to do it.. personally I think this has been because people have been banging on about possible help and NOT because Steve of his own accord suddenly saw the wisdom of this idea. There are other suggestions being put forward ( not all of which might be valid as improvements ) .. but they should all be considered by the team -- and the sensible ones run past Steve to get his reaction. Nothing should be forced on him -- it has to be his decision -- but a closed mind will not get him the record.. just look at the riding record -- he has never strung together to a run of excellent days -- and in the summer was huge distances short of what he had originally said he could do.

Your rather nasty comment about  sad people -- would suggest that since there have been only 3 , 4 or 5 people ( IronOx  ?) attempting this challenge in the last 75 years -- that they are the only people who could possibly have any constructive ideas on how to tackle the challenge, and this is clearly barking mad.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #843 on: 21 December, 2015, 12:28:55 am »
Very nice Mr L, I'm thinking around the 180w mark to get upto cruising speed of around 28mph. Fully faired and a trike means any weather, ice or not. My FTP is around the 330w mark so 180w would be a recovery ride. The biggest problem would be boredom when doing the miles but I'd rig some sort of music system to keep me going.

My grate frend Mr Bird is currently building a racing f/f recumbent trike which he reckons will give him 26-27 mph at 130W, though it's not intended for all-day habitation like a pukka velomobile.  The Milan seems to be the current state of the art as far as record-breaking goes with a 12H record of >420 miles and over 750 miles in 24H.  Which is by the by coz it's against the HAMR rules anyway.  I'm sure if one asked the WHPVA and/or IHPVA nicely they'd sanction a record under similar rules of evidence as UMCA are doing for HAMR.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #844 on: 21 December, 2015, 12:46:22 am »
ICBA to go back and check on all the kibitzing that was going on a year and more ago, but I think we all naively assumed in the early days that there couldn't possibly be two people in the world so (nicely) bonkers as to want to break this record at the same time as each other. Steve's "purist" approach was very popular, even though we were all aware that technical developments could give Steve a significant advantage over Tommy Godwin.

I suspect that we are all rather sadder and wiser men/women than we were a year ago. Assuming Kurt breaks the record and it's the Searvogel record that needs to be dealt with, I think that Steve will have to take a different approach if he is to make another serious challenge. I would think a faster bike, and allowing himself a rather higher working heart rate, so that he can up his speed a bit, will be necessary.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #845 on: 21 December, 2015, 12:48:12 am »
You must think that Steves original approach was the ONLY possible way to do it -- which just has to be wrong ( and pretty stupid as an analysis too )  . Historically he would never have accepted a vehicle transfer -- but now realising that this could increase his mileage - he is very likely to do it.. personally I think this has been because people have been banging on about possible help and NOT because Steve of his own accord suddenly saw the wisdom of this idea. There are other suggestions being put forward ( not all of which might be valid as improvements ) .. but they should all be considered by the team -- and the sensible ones run past Steve to get his reaction. Nothing should be forced on him -- it has to be his decision -- but a closed mind will not get him the record.. just look at the riding record -- he has never strung together to a run of excellent days -- and in the summer was huge distances short of what he had originally said he could do.

Your rather nasty comment about  sad people -- would suggest that since there have been only 3 , 4 or 5 people ( IronOx  ?) attempting this challenge in the last 75 years -- that they are the only people who could possibly have any constructive ideas on how to tackle the challenge, and this is clearly barking mad.

You are defintely not one of the sad people.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #846 on: 21 December, 2015, 09:14:29 am »
You are defintely not one of the sad people.

Please, can we just drop this polarising talk of "good" and "bad" people. It's not only a bit nasty but it's distracting from the discussion. 

In 34 pages of posts I can only see a single one that could possibly be construed as having a dig at Steve (gleefully quoted by mattC).  It's pretty apparent that everyone here is not only captivated by the challenge but also wants the best for Steve.

No-one here has a monopoly on representing Steve's interests, and people shouldn't claim that role for themselves and shout down others that they claim "don't know him as well as I do".  It's simplistic to the point of childishness.  A North Korean fan club approach isn't really appropriate in a discussion forum.
The sound of one pannier flapping

red marley

« Reply #847 on: 21 December, 2015, 09:30:37 am »
Quietly without fanfare, yesterday, Steve passed René Menzies' 1937 record – with ten days yet to ride. Sometimes it's good to be reminded what Steve has achieved so far even when things don't go exactly as planned.

At the time the battle between Menzies and Nicholson received much attention.

Taking Ossie Nicholson's record before the end of the 2015 is also a realistic prospect for Steve.

hillbilly

« Reply #848 on: 21 December, 2015, 09:50:17 am »
In addition to stepping up to one of the upper plinths on the pantheon of the 20th century records attempts, it's perhaps worth remembering that Steve will be recorded by HAM'R as the record holder at close of play 31 December, and will hold his age-group record for at least a year. 

Not bad for a humble bloke from Bedfordshire, who likes to ride his bike.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #849 on: 21 December, 2015, 09:50:48 am »
Sorry - I was a bit put out by the sad comment.

If we think about world class athletes -- and in terms of this record then Kurt and Steve are world class athletes -- they would not win a track event or a TT , or the TdF -- but at getting near the Year record they are world class. But all world class athletes in all sports have coaches and trainers to ensure maximum performance, peak fitness, improved  skills, etc etc.

Now  my experience tells me that Steves team were  led in a way that did not allow any views other than this "" Steve knows best ", which I just can not agree is correct. Add to that my unhappiness about the treatment of donors -- and you will see why after I had done my bit for PBP .. I chose to step away.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!