Author Topic: Online with Jacquie Phelan  (Read 1879 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Online with Jacquie Phelan
« on: 26 February, 2022, 10:12:34 pm »
Older MTBers will remember Alice B Toeclips (Jacquie) as the unbeatable woman on a dropbar aluminum Cunningham MTB who raced against the best men last century. There is an online event with Jacquie, along with Charlie Cunningham, Gary Fisher, Charlie Kelly and Otis Guy. These blokes were instrumental in the creation of MTBing.

Register to join the event at
https://www.mvhistory.org/event/march-2022-first-wednesday-talk-unmitigated-gal-an-evening-with-mountain-biker-pioneers-jacquie-phelan-and-friends/

The time difference means the event will be pre-dawn Thursday 02 March.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Arellcat

• Velonautte
Re: Online with Jacquie Phelan
« Reply #1 on: 01 March, 2022, 06:50:59 pm »
I'm going to try to stay up for this.  I haven't seen Jacquie in person for, er, 14 years now.  I'm also hoping CC is in a better shape these days; it's been hard for JP.
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 01 March, 2022, 09:02:29 pm »
I’ve never met them (despite wanting to since I first read about them in the ‘80s) and probably never will now. I don’t think Charlie is improving much, according to Jacquie’s updates. It will be a stupidly early alarm for me.

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #3 on: 02 March, 2022, 11:21:05 pm »
Note to self: read the small print.

7pm Pacific time, not 7pm Eastern time!  Argh!  Not sure I have four hours left in me.
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 04 March, 2022, 10:29:00 pm »
We enjoyed it and finished wanting to hear some more. Jacquie is even more of a deep thinker than I had realised. She would have been a cool person to hang out with back in the day.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: 05 March, 2022, 06:15:24 pm »
The Mill Valley Public Library organised this event and have collected a large number of oral histories from local residents. Several of these residents are notable cyclists (Steve Potts, Otis Guy, Joe Breeze, Jaquie Phelan, Charlie Kelly) and some folk here might like to hear them.
https://www.millvalleylibrary.org/853/Oral-Histories? and *Browse by topic* *Recreation*