Author Topic: joining GPX files  (Read 1438 times)

joining GPX files
« on: 03 February, 2016, 01:19:58 pm »
Planning on doing a my first 400 and 600 rides over the summer. my plan for the 600 is to ride 400 then sleep then do the remaining 200. Is it bad form to join these 2 rides together via GPX software before placing on my own Strava? and have them as one long ride or is it really 2 rides? when does a ride become 2 rides?

in my mind I can do whatever I like however I just wondered what others do.

Re: joining GPX files
« Reply #1 on: 03 February, 2016, 01:25:00 pm »
Personally I would splice them together and count it as one ride, as the event you are riding is a 600, not a 400 and a 200, so the strava entry (and kudos!) should reflect that IMO.
Up the hills and round the bends

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #2 on: 03 February, 2016, 01:28:51 pm »
Do what you want, it's only Strava it doesn't matter

I'll say that again: you have a brevet and are doing an event, Strava doesn't matter at all

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #3 on: 03 February, 2016, 01:42:16 pm »
There are pros and cons of joining or not.

If you like stats like Eddington numbers and have something like VeloViewer calculate it for you, then a joined together ride of, say, 600km will only be counted once; even though it may have taken you more than 1 day.  So, for instance, my Eddington number according to that is low 90s, whereas the reality is that it almost certainly quite a bit higher (stuff like 600s, LEL, PBP etc. all counted only once rather than the individual days).

That said, I like having just the one ride recorded for my personal form of OCD. I don't want to look at day 3 of LEL, rather the whole thing.

If you play the strava gran fondo game, then a ride of over 24 hours does not count.

I generally join things together, but accept that it screws up some things that may or may not matter to you.  Ultimately as vorsrpung says, it doesn't matter anyway.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 03 February, 2016, 02:08:51 pm »
I don't bother joining tracks for Strava, because it can't cope with un-ridden sections (ie. train journeys) which are the main reason I want to do so.  The occasional ride that crosses midnight is lost in the noise.

Why not record the 600 as a single ride, just turning the GPS off while you sleep?

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5 on: 03 February, 2016, 02:18:50 pm »
Its similar for any other ride with a break in the middle. ie riding to the shops, or going to the pub for a few hours, or commuting etc. It it 2 separate rides or not?
I would usually go for a single ride, unless its more than a couple of hours break. Though depends on what GPS I am using, and whether it records as a single track, and if I can be bothered splitting or joining tracks.

For an audax, I would say its a single ride, as any stops count towards the total time. ie you still have to maintain the minimum average speed, including stopped time.

Though as Kim says, it gets complicated if you have parts where you are travelling but not cycling, ie trains or ferries. If a single ride, that would count towards the distance.

« Reply #6 on: 03 February, 2016, 02:25:21 pm »
I record it as a single ride- and leave the GPS running so I have overall average speed showing on the second day.

I don't care what happens to it on strava- sometimes it's one ride (PBP) sometimes it's 2 (Verberie 600).
Strava. Pah.

I count my own Eddington as rides-between-sleeps. So if midnight on a 600 is 350km but sleep is at 420, then 420km is that 'day' for my E number (which is 'bad' as then day 2 is only 180km and doesn't add to my total, damnit).

My own internal consistency is what counts.

« Reply #7 on: 03 February, 2016, 05:00:20 pm »
I never used to bother (too technically challenging) to splice bits of rides together till I discovered https://www.fitfiletools.com/ which makes it all so easy

« Reply #8 on: 03 February, 2016, 05:04:12 pm »
fitfiletools.com is what you need. I am in the mind of thought that one continuous ride is prettier! This is why I won't do rides that has a LONG boat ride in the middle of the journey!

Brakeless

• Brakeless
« Reply #9 on: 03 February, 2016, 05:38:53 pm »

Why not record the 600 as a single ride, just turning the GPS off while you sleep?

Garmin 800s tend to freeze if you try to record more than approx 300km in one ride.

« Reply #10 on: 04 February, 2016, 09:41:26 pm »
If a 600 icould we'll be classed as one event but would you log LEL as on ride?

Phil W

« Reply #11 on: 04 February, 2016, 10:16:53 pm »
If a 600 icould we'll be classed as one event but would you log LEL as on ride?

Of course, it is one ride, one where the clock doesn't stop.