Author Topic: How many A roads have you cycled on?  (Read 10350 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
How many A roads have you cycled on?
« on: 25 February, 2023, 06:16:58 pm »
Whilst nursing a lurgy, pondered the question how many of the 1- and 2-digit A roads had I cycled on, which gave the pleasurable experience of exploring memories and logbooks.  The answer came to 66 of the 99 roads numbers A1 to A99.  Many of them were for very short sections (as little as a hundred meters or so) , usually as a result of an Audax route having to use a short section of a main road.  Two of them - the A29 and A94, I think I've done the whole length of the road. 
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Re: How many A roads have you cycled on?
« Reply #1 on: 25 February, 2023, 07:15:56 pm »
I think you should allow the A303, it being a major trunk road.

« Reply #2 on: 25 February, 2023, 07:19:17 pm »
There was an A-roads game thread on here, or possibly on Cycling UK, at one time. Participants were attempting (collectively) to ride on all the nation's A roads, in numerical order. I'll have another go at finding it later.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 25 February, 2023, 07:32:13 pm »
There was an A-roads game thread on here, or possibly on Cycling UK, at one time. Participants were attempting (collectively) to ride on all the nation's A roads, in numerical order. I'll have another go at finding it later.

It was on this forum's predecessor. It was started by Sir Simon Legg-Bandage, and he has never set foot over here.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #4 on: 25 February, 2023, 08:25:38 pm »
A roads? Who cares about A roads when you can have motorways

M1 out of Dublin: massive roadworks in 1998 and when I asked about the "old airport road" I got directions that got me in 30 seconds on the motorway in rush hour. Thrilling! Overtaken by a police car twice, neither could be bothered.

M48 across the Severn bridge. Closed to traffic because of maintenance, I could not resist and ride on the main road instead of the cycling path. Got some funny looks fro road workers.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: 25 February, 2023, 08:32:03 pm »
M5 J18 to Avonmouth Bridge whereupon we chucked the bikes over the security fence separating us from the bikeway, climbed over and disappeared into the night.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #6 on: 25 February, 2023, 08:36:51 pm »
It was on this forum's predecessor. It was started by Sir Simon Legg-Bandage, and he has never set foot over here.
Amazing how time flies. I could have sworn it was more recent than that. I think we petered out somewhere around the A64?

I used to claim that I'd raced on the whole of the A1 from Baldock to Morpeth. An exaggeration of course, but local club courses (and, I think, the old F1) ran north from Baldock. Various versions of the F1 ran up from Tempsford, then some N courses between Alconbury and Norman Cross. I'd not actually done much around Newark, but I raced as a student west of Retford - I remember going up towards the turn at Blyth. Another bit of a gap till bottom and top Boro, which gets you pretty much to Leeming Bar. Then the Newcastle clubs used to go north from that city, when I was meant to be visiting my girlfriend, who was a student there - she married me, so I can't have overdone the racing too much :-)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #7 on: 25 February, 2023, 08:40:01 pm »
I think you should allow the A303, it being a major trunk road.

I've not got that far yet, but I have cycled on the A303 on the Kernow & SW one year, just a short section, and a bit past Popham once on a club run when we were trying to avoid ice.  The road was gridlocked as they hadn't gritted that either, which turned out to be entertaining.

I did manage to cycle the length of the A319 on my 319th century ride.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8 on: 25 February, 2023, 08:48:48 pm »
I have (accidentally) cycled on what used to be the A40(M) and M41.  There are no warning signs on Gloucester Terrace and, if you take the right fork here,  you have no escape.

208 Gloucester Terrace
https://maps.app.goo.gl/DTy1XjjrtTJw3A8h7
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9 on: 25 February, 2023, 09:02:21 pm »
M5 J18 to Avonmouth Bridge whereupon we chucked the bikes over the security fence separating us from the bikeway, climbed over and disappeared into the night.
Rather you than me! I hate that bridge on the cyclepath, such constant noise. The actual motorway must be even worse.

Off the top of my head:
A4
A38
A46
A36
A39

Most of these are far quieter than their numbers and primary route status suggest.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #10 on: 25 February, 2023, 09:08:24 pm »
It was around midnight two decades ago and we couldn’t work out how to get onto the bikeway across the river. Once we rode onto the bridge from the on-ramp, we finally saw the bikeway.

The A5 went through a town I lived in for five years. I rode small chunks of it quite frequently. Some sections were the ‘old A5’, having been reclassified when a bypass went in.

The A4 is fine to ride in some sections at odd hours.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #11 on: 25 February, 2023, 09:14:13 pm »
I think we got further than the A64. I recall claiming the A122, which no longer exists, which was Writtle Street, Chelmsford. The A roads west from Chelmsford have now been renumbered. The A414 is the nastier of the two and heads out towards Stansted Airport. The A1060 isn't too bad. Can't recall where it ends up.

If you are cycling on the A404, I think you are probably lost... ;)

PS I recall delving into the AA Road Book, dated early 1960s and a present from Aunt Phyllis to my dad. It was this exchange that reminded me of the presence of Sir Simon L-B as he exclaimed that my research was "above and beyond the call of duty".

I haven't seen Simon for years. Anyone know how he is?

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #12 on: 25 February, 2023, 09:19:30 pm »
The worst one was probably the mile of the A34 between Bury Down and Chilton, because there are just so few N-S roads in that part of the world and there is no cycleway.  The fastest was the A11 on a 100-mile TT when there was extra traffic because of a Motorbike event at Snetterton.  As I will never be that fast again, I can rest peacefully on my fastest 100 mile TT being a faster average speed that my best 50-mile TT.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #13 on: 25 February, 2023, 09:44:49 pm »
I think my most uncomfortable ride traffic-wise was along the A507 on my first day of a camping trip to Lancashire, where we were due to celebrate My Dear Wife's mother's 80th birthday, which would have been in 2009. It was anfractuous, fairly narrow and was inhabited by a lot of big lorries. There was a pretty decent minor road alternative which I eschewed for some reason.

The following day I cycled through Ireland. http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map?X=513500&Y=241500&A=Y&Z=120

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #14 on: 25 February, 2023, 09:55:29 pm »
Lots of single and double digit A roads, but I also claim the M6.  Several times.
OK, it wasn't actually opened yet, but as soon as it was fully paved, we would hammer up and down it every evening for 3 or 4 weeks.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #15 on: 25 February, 2023, 10:17:11 pm »
A1, A4, A5, A6, A7, A30 (A303), A38, A39, A40, A47, A48, A57, and doubtless others that I don't recall.

« Reply #16 on: 25 February, 2023, 10:20:15 pm »
I rode on the A720 (edinburgh bypass) before bikes were banned from it.

« Reply #17 on: 25 February, 2023, 10:24:15 pm »
The following day I cycled through Ireland. http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map?X=513500&Y=241500&A=Y&Z=120
Ireland is on our club 10 course.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #18 on: 25 February, 2023, 10:33:58 pm »
A couple of times through the Queensway tunnel,  where the A38 passes through Central Brum.

rr

« Reply #19 on: 25 February, 2023, 11:00:56 pm »
A3 going to Brixton climbing wall, A4 including the Hammersmith fly over, A5 at marble arch, A10 edgeware, A11,12,13 around Bow and Poplar, A23 on the actual Dual carriageway as the cycle path was blocked by parked lorries.
A38, A40,

Sent from my motorola edge 20 using Tapatalk

« Reply #20 on: 25 February, 2023, 11:30:23 pm »
All shortish sections, some <20m at slightly offset crossroads but at least the A3, A23, A4, A6, A10, A11, A12, A13, A14 (the old version), A15, A38, A39, A46, A65, and A66.

I recall claiming the A122, which no longer exists, which was Writtle Street, Chelmsford. The A roads west from Chelmsford have now been renumbered. The A414 is the nastier of the two and heads out towards Stansted Airport. The A1060 isn't too bad. Can't recall where it ends up.

The A1060 goes to Bishops Stortford via Leaden Roding.  The A414 west of Chelmsford is part of Ride London 100 and heads for Harlow, and then on to Hertford, Hatfield and a few more H’s before it ends.  It’s the A131 / A120 that go to the airport and neither of them are nice cycling.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #21 on: 25 February, 2023, 11:35:13 pm »
For the first 99...
Used to commute regularly on A21, A20, A2 Old Kent Road, A4 and A3 all in Inner London.
Now commute on the A26 and occasionally A20.

Other ones - A5 Edgware Road. A10, A11, A12, A13. A22, A23, A24, A25, A28. A56. Think that is all!
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #22 on: 25 February, 2023, 11:47:55 pm »

I haven't seen Simon for years. Anyone know how he is?

I went to the LonJog 10 year anniversary drinks last year. Leggy wasn't there but it was said that he and the Lovely Suzy are living in Felixstowe (I think).
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23 on: 25 February, 2023, 11:58:06 pm »
A couple of times through the Queensway tunnel,  where the A38 passes through Central Brum.

Without oxygen?

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #24 on: 26 February, 2023, 12:11:07 am »

Without oxygen?
;D
Didn't need it. This was back in the day when I was still quite fast. [ish - ED] The effect of the suction and tail wind created by the traffic in each single direction tunnel meant I would whip through in no time at all.
Stopped doing it after driving through and unexpectedly coming up behind a moped on that corner half way through.