Author Topic: Bryan Chapman Memorial 600 - 18th May 2013  (Read 110288 times)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Bryan Chapman Memorial 600 - 18th May 2013
« on: 07 January, 2013, 06:07:38 pm »
Thought it about time this ride got a thread.

Booked in for this one. If there is one ride I must do this year, more than any other, it is the BCM.

As probably the most 'famous' Audax ride, I feel it is one I must ride, at least once.

Last year, despite being booked in, hotels booked etc., a friend decided that getting married that day was a good idea - so I spent the day doing wedding things instead.

This year, there is nothing to stop me I really do hope!

So, anyone else got the BCM booked into their diaries yet?
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 600 - 18th May 2013
« Reply #1 on: 07 January, 2013, 06:23:33 pm »
Entry's in the post.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #2 on: 07 January, 2013, 06:24:10 pm »
I had it pencilled in, having had to cancel last year because of work pressure. But have now discovered that it's my wife's business school reunion that weekend, so I have childcare duties.  :(

Which leaves me having to decide which other 600 to do instead......   
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

simonp

« Reply #3 on: 07 January, 2013, 06:29:26 pm »

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #4 on: 07 January, 2013, 06:37:08 pm »
In May 2010 (before I'd even heard of Audax) I was driving home to Bristol from my Uncles place in Dolgellau after a weekend of hill walking.
I decided to take the scenic route and found an awful lot of battered looking cyclists in various ragged states strung out over quite some distance spanning the last hour or two to Chepstow. I was intrigued, it wasn't a sportive, some had sandals on! :o Saddle bags?  :o

BCM has been the big one I've wanted to do since I started riding Audax events.
Last May I hadn't ridden further than 200km and I wasn't ready.
I posted my entry last week.  ;D
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

« Reply #5 on: 07 January, 2013, 06:40:06 pm »
Entry's in the post.

Mine too. I am more nervous about this one than LEL for some reason. (Maybe because its sooner?)
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #6 on: 07 January, 2013, 06:42:45 pm »
The obvious choice:

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/13-474/

I rode it as my alternative to the BCM last year. A fine ride, but very challenging.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

simonp

« Reply #7 on: 07 January, 2013, 06:45:14 pm »
The obvious choice:

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/13-474/

I rode it as my alternative to the BCM last year. A fine ride, but very challenging.

Yes, it's much harder than the BCM despite having a similar amount of climbing.

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
« Reply #8 on: 07 January, 2013, 06:46:17 pm »
Entry's in the post.

+1

This event is my motivation for weight loss.  8.25AAA - cool.
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/

« Reply #9 on: 07 January, 2013, 06:46:33 pm »
Yes sir, will be my first time too, so muchly looking forward. Entered in my first season last year, but had a bad knee after the Brevet Cymru so couldn't ride. Unfinished business.....  :thumbsup:

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #10 on: 07 January, 2013, 06:51:02 pm »
Entry's in the post.

Mine too. I am more nervous about this one than LEL for some reason. (Maybe because its sooner?)

Me too, but even more nervous about Brevet Cymru which is two weeks before BCM.
I'm going to be on Valium by the time I get to Loughton in July.  :facepalm:
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #11 on: 07 January, 2013, 06:52:22 pm »
K&SW for me too last year, as I couldn't make the BCM weekend, and it was a great ride. Not entirely flat though.

This year's BCM entry printed and going in the post tomorrow. K&SW entry already done online.
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

simonp

« Reply #12 on: 07 January, 2013, 06:58:11 pm »
The Brevet Cymru is also a fantastic ride.

« Reply #13 on: 07 January, 2013, 07:08:41 pm »
This was my first ever 600! Woo hoo! This has been my only ever completed 600 (and completed with broken gears!)! Awesome ride, but I aint gonna do it again!
I dunno why anybody's doing this!

« Reply #14 on: 07 January, 2013, 07:26:39 pm »
My entry is in the post for what will be my first 600 and was going to be a warm up for LEL but may now become the main event and a mighty fine one I think it should be as well having read a few reports.....

No chance of it raining is there? In Wales?

« Reply #15 on: 07 January, 2013, 07:34:58 pm »
My entry is in the post for what will be my first 600 .....
T'was my first 600 in 2001, come to think of it, this ride was only my third AUK event at randonneur pace. Just take it stage-by-stage, you'll be fine.

No chance of it raining is there? In Wales?
No chance, this was probably the driest 600 in 2012
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Hillbilly

« Reply #16 on: 07 January, 2013, 07:44:46 pm »
I think I've entered.  At least a cheque stub says "BCM" and I have a vague recollection of grimmacing at shelling out £25 when I scribbled the figure out.  Then again, all these entries merge into one after a while and I might be deluding myself.  Either I will get a route sheet through the post in 5 or so months, or I will be enjoying my subscription to "Big Cocks Monthly" (magazine of choice for poulterers who like to keep up to date with rooster news) by then.

I am planning to finish in daylight on Sunday.

« Reply #17 on: 07 January, 2013, 07:58:48 pm »
Me too, but even more nervous about Brevet Cymru which is two weeks before BCM...

I hadn't thought to be worried about Brevet Cymru, but I am now. Thanks  :P
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

« Reply #18 on: 07 January, 2013, 08:00:26 pm »
............................. and I have a vague recollection of grimmacing at shelling out £25 when I scribbled the figure out.

I could be wrong, but I think the new entry fee is all inclusive, so no need to shell-out anything at 6 of the 8 controls - from looking at the AUK event page , I was. And would have been the entry fee if I was doing it this year. The field has been steadily growing over the last few years, and up until now it hasn't been possible to accurately set an "all inclusive" price.

I am planning to finish in daylight on Sunday.
You'll be one of the many then, only a few finish in the dark
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Chuffy

• Found a newt on LEL
« Reply #19 on: 07 January, 2013, 08:01:29 pm »
Entry going in the post tomorrow (pleasepleasepleasedon'tbetoolate) and looking forward to this one very much.

If anyone does the K&SW Baggy & I will be running the Penzance control as I wanted an excuse not to ride it again felt I should repay Ian's bountiful generosity with small lanes, never ending hills and amusing diversions.  ;D :thumbsup: