Author Topic: Bryan Chapman Memorial 600 - 18th May 2013  (Read 110279 times)

Chuffy

• Found a newt on LEL
Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 600 - 18th May 2013
« Reply #625 on: 18 May, 2013, 09:52:18 pm »
Just in case Mandy (Mrs Bairdy) is reading this, yer man was leaving Kings as I returned. Going well and riding with a good group.
Powered by Minions

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #626 on: 18 May, 2013, 09:58:04 pm »
As a reward for not packing I had an egg thrown at me from a passing car near Dolgellau.

Is that the most eggciting part so far?

IGMC

RichardH

• All Time AUK 979 Pts
« Reply #627 on: 18 May, 2013, 10:08:44 pm »
Chuffy sounds like you were going well before you packed, try taking it a little
easier on the longer rides. Especially if your not riding 400k each weekend
leading up to a 600k. I always tried to ride 2 x 200k each weekend for a month
prior to a 600k.
You are probably right about the weight I was 9 stone in my hay day.
4 x Wessex Sr. Crackpot 1998. PBP 1999.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

« Reply #629 on: 19 May, 2013, 07:42:27 am »
Looks like the weather's going to be gorgeous all day for the BCMers.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #630 on: 19 May, 2013, 08:48:16 am »
Looks like the weather's going to be gorgeous all day for the BCMers.
That'll be because I'm not there!  My first reaction this morning was 'I've overslept', and 'It's not raining'.

« Reply #631 on: 19 May, 2013, 09:14:20 am »
Ice cream on the lawn at Weobley then  :P

simonp

« Reply #632 on: 19 May, 2013, 10:41:16 am »
What a difference 3.5h sleep makes.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #633 on: 19 May, 2013, 11:12:39 am »
I packed. My sincere apologies for lack of notice to organiser/helpers - I couldn't find a phone number on routesheet or brevet card, so texted Henry to pass on the message, and then I realised on waking this morning that I'd sent a text message to Henry's OLD number so it wasn't relayed that way either.

Started getting heart palpitations on the climb to Llanberis, scared the shit out of me, chest was hurting and I was getting short of breath. Upon stopping and phoning the wife, I kind of realised that I'd not really been at 100% all day and was fully anticipating grinding to a halt at some point through illness. so I set the GPS for Bangor and rode straight there, hopping the 8pm train for the motherland (Birmingham) where wifey came to rescue me and take me back to darkest zummerzet.

Feeling rather dejected/gutted right now.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

« Reply #634 on: 19 May, 2013, 11:51:25 am »
For what its worth I think you did the right thing.  Its only a bike ride and Im sure it will still be there next year once you get the problem sorted.

Get well soon.

Jeff E

• Formerly JRe
« Reply #635 on: 19 May, 2013, 11:52:50 am »
Event phone number is on Brevet. 07809 552 246.  Commiserations on DNF.  I stopped at Kings with pain in right hip and caught train from down the road towards Barmouth.  7 hours back to car.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #636 on: 19 May, 2013, 11:53:23 am »
Don't feel too dejected Graham. It's better to listen to your body (esp your heart!) and not take chances.  I, too, bailed out at Menai on my first BCM; I'd come down the pass in sleet and was still shaking uncontrollably after an hour at the control.  The BCM was still there the following year, and so was I, finishing in  my best time for a 600 and thoroughly enjoying it.

See you in Chepstow, May 2014, I hope.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #637 on: 19 May, 2013, 12:40:15 pm »
I packed. My sincere apologies for lack of notice to organiser/helpers - I couldn't find a phone number on routesheet or brevet card, so texted Henry to pass on the message, and then I realised on waking this morning that I'd sent a text message to Henry's OLD number so it wasn't relayed that way either.

Started getting heart palpitations on the climb to Llanberis, scared the shit out of me, chest was hurting and I was getting short of breath. Upon stopping and phoning the wife, I kind of realised that I'd not really been at 100% all day and was fully anticipating grinding to a halt at some point through illness. so I set the GPS for Bangor and rode straight there, hopping the 8pm train for the motherland (Birmingham) where wifey came to rescue me and take me back to darkest zummerzet.

Feeling rather dejected/gutted right now.

Don't feel dejected. You are still alive.

I've had that on several occasions, usually when cycling with an underlying virus burgeoning. Didn't have chest pains though. Go to doctor.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #638 on: 19 May, 2013, 12:52:47 pm »
Don't worry, the rational side of me is well aware that it's only a bike ride.

Flatus - chest was hurting more due to the drop in temperature and what seemed like a quick drop in lung capacity, one of those tell-tale signs that lurgy is on the horizon.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

« Reply #639 on: 19 May, 2013, 01:09:29 pm »
What an amazing ride - first 'dry' Chapman that I can remember in years!

First time I've rode through the night, not sleeping at King's on the return.

Rode with lots of great people up to King's, then Adamski for the leg to Menai and back. Them I was on my own solo to Aberhafesp. Carried on and hooked up with the excellent company of M_W_R_M; we briefly caught a few others on the climb out of Newton in the wee hours, (but they faded back on thd clomb) - then no others until approaching Woebley this morning - nothing open at 06:00, so photo and carried on. Found a great farm shop /garage to fuel us for the last 60k.
Saw the riders from the 'Wiggle Wye Valley Sportive' going the other way i their gruelling 'epic' 60 miles - they looked real happy though and probably slightly fresher than our haggard state!
No one at Bulwark when we arrived at 09:30 - how surprising 😫
I consoled myself with an excellent omelet from Aslans Cafe in Chepstow - they even let me bring the bike inside 👍👍😀

Thanks to Ritchie and all for putting on such a superb event!!

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #640 on: 19 May, 2013, 01:24:19 pm »
Ah is that what was going on in the Wye Valley yesterday.  I did a perm that came through there yesterday and I noticed a few Wiggle direction signs knocking about.  The Epic was 60 miles huh?   ::-)

Congratulations to all anyway - this is one for next year for me I think.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #641 on: 19 May, 2013, 01:32:24 pm »
What an amazing ride - first 'dry' Chapman that I can remember in years!

First time I've rode through the night, not sleeping at King's on the return.

Rode with lots of great people up to King's, then Adamski for the leg to Menai and back. Them I was on my own solo to Aberhafesp. Carried on and hooked up with the excellent company of M_W_R_M; we briefly caught a few others on the climb out of Newton in the wee hours, (but they faded back on thd clomb) - then no others until approaching Woebley this morning - nothing open at 06:00, so photo and carried on. Found a great farm shop /garage to fuel us for the last 60k.
Saw the riders from the 'Wiggle Wye Valley Sportive' going the other way i their gruelling 'epic' 60 miles - they looked real happy though and probably slightly fresher than our haggard state!
I consoled myself with an excellent omelet from Aslans Cafe in Chepstow - they even let me bring the bike inside 👍👍😀

Thanks to Ritchie and all for putting on such a superb event!!
I'm confused, it is Monday today?

« Reply #642 on: 19 May, 2013, 02:43:52 pm »

Wow! Very quick.

Aslan's is great
#makewattsnotwar

« Reply #643 on: 19 May, 2013, 02:51:03 pm »
No, the Wiggle sportive we saw was this morning - if it's Monday today, I'm seriously tardy for work !!

« Reply #644 on: 19 May, 2013, 02:56:25 pm »
If you'd got your arse in gear you could have been back in time to ride the Wiggle sportive. 97 miles for the "Epic" version, withwhole 2000m of climbing,  and a snip at only £28

;D

« Reply #645 on: 19 May, 2013, 02:57:12 pm »
Don't worry, the rational side of me is well aware that it's only a bike ride.

Flatus - chest was hurting more due to the drop in temperature and what seemed like a quick drop in lung capacity, one of those tell-tale signs that lurgy is on the horizon.

Graham,
I'm sure you'll get better soon - probably the right decision to stop. You were going like train up to Nant Yr Arian - that was some effort to catch you from Bronllys 😰

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
« Reply #646 on: 19 May, 2013, 05:26:47 pm »
I enjoyed that - and thanks to Reg for not letting a little bridge closure stop him - saved us both 10k and got to Menai in under 4 hours.

Enjoyed my sleep at Kings and as a result really enjoyed the first descent of the day. New top speed of 81.3kph for me.

It was tough though: I'm back at the travel lodge, showered, hydrated, moisturised and resting. Will not drive home tonight, so thinking of heading down to Aust for some food.
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/

« Reply #647 on: 19 May, 2013, 06:11:05 pm »
That was brilliant! Can't believe how lucky we were with the weather as I was fully expecting to get wet in Snowdonia. Not sleeping was certainly challenging but glad I wasn't the only one fighting to stay awake coming into Aberhafesp with one chap putting in intermittent huge sprint efforts to try and wake himself up. I'm not sure how effective this was but it was fun to jump onto his back wheel and get a tow.
Great company from various people especially Veloboy for the last 160km who's GPS saved the day on several occasions where my route sheet reading seemed to become a bit unreliable. We were both very happy to get back at 9:30 but a shame not to have anyone to welcome us at Bulwark. It was so tempting to join in with the Wiggle Sportive but I'd forgotten my replica Sky kit so would have stuck out like a sore thumb.
For some reason I took up my mate Matt's challenge of riding the whole thing in the big ring but he did say he'd reward me with a huge jam tart so worth the effort. Still a lot easier than trying to ride it fixed I expect (I'm sure Henry will testify to this).
After a gentle spin back to Bristol I was presented with a cheese burger by my wife and duly passed out for several hours.

I hope everyone gets back safely and enjoyed themselves as much as I did.

Marcus

« Reply #648 on: 19 May, 2013, 06:15:29 pm »

Posted by: shyumu: Today at 05:26:47 PM

I enjoyed that - and thanks to Reg for not letting a little bridge closure stop him - saved us both 10k and got to Menai in under 4 hours.

300kms in under 4 hours?   You're wasting your time riding audax's you should be on Wiggo's team!

« Reply #649 on: 19 May, 2013, 06:28:03 pm »
Last riders left Weobley at about 5pm, should finish about 9pm.

The extra 10k divert might be worth 40 mins if things get tight.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.