Re: DOTD
« Reply #225 on: 15 February, 2015, 05:53:53 pm »
Me?  :-\ Too fast into the lights?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB00nBKMLOo

« Reply #226 on: 16 February, 2015, 10:28:38 am »
Me?  :-\ Too fast into the lights?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB00nBKMLOo

Um, no - they should have given way. I don't see that you did anything wrong there.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #227 on: 16 February, 2015, 10:32:47 am »
Yup not your fault, they wouldn't have done that if you were in a car

« Reply #228 on: 16 February, 2015, 10:47:46 am »
Si

You are perfectly entitled to do what you did, however if what you did was prudent ...

Unless you can see and be seen by the driver waiting to turn across you they are likely (unreasonably) to expect that the car in front of you will block the oncoming traffic as they did. Be glad you hit the gap and wonder what would happen to the motorcyclist in a similar situation.

To conclude. not your fault, but a mistake that you could anticipate and allow for. Seeing as we get hurt in an accident I ride on the basis of failing to anticipate a driver's error means I made a mistake.

Si_Co

« Reply #229 on: 16 February, 2015, 11:15:29 am »
Thanks, its the prudent bit..I knew there was a chance of right turning traffic, which is why I was stood up, in a mercatone uno top, to try and make myself visible. This actually compounded the situation since I touched the brakes as I hit the stop line, then hit the pothole which made the bike really light and caused the wheels to lock up so I had to get off the brakes and go for evasion instead of stop.

It was a foreseeable situation and I think I made a poor choice, and yes at the time I did think "bleeding glad I'm not on a motorbike"

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #230 on: 16 February, 2015, 02:18:57 pm »
Hhhhmmm, yes, nasty junction. It's one of those that give both road users the choice of approaching driver-to-driver or passenger-to-passenger, with no helpful road markings to define vehicle positioning. A "Shall I shan't I?", unless you are the first to gain priority, and then you can dictate what the other person should do.

Well done anyway.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #231 on: 16 February, 2015, 04:47:27 pm »
I'm kind of with matthew in terms of it not being your fault but nonetheless a situation that could be anticipated and allowed for.

The driver should have seen you, should have given way, and as far as I could tell doesn't even really have the excuse of "a car won't fit through there so I'm good to go" as there *is* room for a car, especially once the Audi in front of you had begun to clear your lane.

It's too easy for someone just to follow the car in front, with the twin reasoning of "they're going, so there's obviously not a car coming" and "if there is a car coming, it'll have to slow down for them anyway, so I'll be fine if I just follow them close" (a car driver can, of course, believe at least six contradictory things in the space it takes them to clear a junction), so someone cutting across your bows is all too predictable.

I'd probably have been doing much the same speed: I might have been easing off a bit as the brown estate crossed my lane, and I'd probably have been covering the brakes (without standing) as I entered the junction. But once the brown estate has gone (as 14s ticks into 15s), you've got a clear lane ahead of you and a good view of the driver's-side windscreen of the black  Focus. They didn't see (or didn't look) rather than not being able to see you.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #232 on: 16 February, 2015, 08:42:55 pm »
Looks like they underestimated your speed somewhat, as they were starting their turn and were slightly across your lane as you went past the kerb.

Either that or they weren't looking properly.

« Reply #233 on: 16 February, 2015, 09:07:32 pm »
I think I'd have blamed myself for that. (as the cyclist)

I've done things like that, thankfully not so many now. I learned a big lesson from being hospitalized for months from a smidsy (where greater prudence would have prevented it)

« Reply #234 on: 16 February, 2015, 10:07:41 pm »

I've done things like that, thankfully not so many now. I learned a big lesson from being hospitalized for months from a smidsy (where greater prudence would have prevented it)

I once 'hit the gap' when two vehicles entered a mini-roundabout from my left as I was going straight on at 15-20mph. The first should have waited for me, the second never looked, and the pedestrian on the corner was yelling "Oh S**t". Unlike Si I didn't take any evasive action as I didn't have time to react and just got very lucky.

« Reply #235 on: 17 February, 2015, 12:09:12 am »
Si

You are perfectly entitled to do what you did, however if what you did was prudent ...

Unless you can see and be seen by the driver waiting to turn across you they are likely (unreasonably) to expect that the car in front of you will block the oncoming traffic as they did. Be glad you hit the gap and wonder what would happen to the motorcyclist in a similar situation.

To conclude. not your fault, but a mistake that you could anticipate and allow for. Seeing as we get hurt in an accident I ride on the basis of failing to anticipate a driver's error means I made a mistake.

Yes, that = Defensive driving riding strategy; where everyone's potentially an idiot and so anticipation is key.   That car should have had the highway code ringing in their ears ' go if the way is clear, and take special care if turning', but busy intersections tend to suffer from 'SMIDSY', and so I try to ride so as to 'eyeball' and quite often have the font light flashing - which IMO gives me a bit more time to play with when proceeding straight through.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #236 on: 17 February, 2015, 09:27:52 am »

Manged to get myself into a similar scenario this morn. :-(

IanN

• Voon
« Reply #237 on: 26 February, 2015, 10:16:53 pm »
I'd like to nominate the cyclist I encountered on the way home from work today. (Bristol, by the fountains)
I was cycling through a pedestrian crossing (on the road, on a green light, obviously  ;D)
The cyclist on the pavement looked at me and then slowly cycled across...

... in front of the double decker bus coming the other way

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #238 on: 27 February, 2015, 11:27:24 am »
Si

Yes, that = Defensive driving riding strategy; where everyone's potentially an idiot and so anticipation is key.   That car should have had the highway code ringing in their ears ' go if the way is clear, and take special care if turning', but busy intersections tend to suffer from 'SMIDSY', and so I try to ride so as to 'eyeball' and quite often have the font light flashing - which IMO gives me a bit more time to play with when proceeding straight through.

Cars have ears?  ???

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #239 on: 27 February, 2015, 11:52:24 am »
Si

Cars have ears?  ???
Why not?  Many of them have dicks.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #240 on: 27 February, 2015, 03:54:38 pm »
POTD in DOTD ^  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #241 on: 28 February, 2015, 12:48:17 am »
Agreed!

« Reply #242 on: 28 February, 2015, 06:25:18 pm »
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #243 on: 28 February, 2015, 11:53:56 pm »
If walls have ears then that's Teethgrinder's sausage delivery van.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #244 on: 01 March, 2015, 04:51:11 pm »
I forgot, on Friday, 'pavement' cycling in extremis. I live on a steep hill, about 1-in-4, and the road turns into a lane which clambers up onto an even more steep flight of 98 steps (I walk up and down them everyday, so I know them all). So I'm walking back from the pool and I hear a sound like someone throwing bags of ball bearings into an industrial shredder behind me.

"I HAVEN'T GOT ANY FUCKIN' BRAKES!" yells the chav on a PoS Halfords-special full suspension mountain bike as he literally bounces past me down the steps like a rodeo rider on a recently gingered bull. Now these aren't gentle steps, probably twice the gradient of your average stairs. I've no idea how he managed to stay on until he hit the lane where he fell off, bounced and slid another twenty or so metres without a bike and then, as I thought bugger I'm going to have call an ambulance, got up and retrieved his bike and got back on and resumed his downward journey. OK, he's conquered the steps, but there's another 200-odd metres of 25% gradient hill. Before he hits T-junction. I did expect to see a mangled bike at the bottom of the road, but I guess somehow he survived. I don't think he'll be troubling old age.

« Reply #245 on: 01 March, 2015, 05:03:12 pm »
Salmon BMX riding the wrong way down the bus on the Euston Road  :o

Judging by his control as he then went through the queuing traffic there was a distinct lack of brakes on the bike as well.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #246 on: 01 March, 2015, 05:06:18 pm »
"I HAVEN'T GOT ANY FUCKIN' BRAKES!" yells the chav on a PoS Halfords-special full suspension mountain bike as he literally bounces past me down the steps like a rodeo rider on a recently gingered bull. Now these aren't gentle steps, probably twice the gradient of your average stairs. I've no idea how he managed to stay on until he hit the lane where he fell off, bounced and slid another twenty or so metres without a bike and then, as I thought bugger I'm going to have call an ambulance, got up and retrieved his bike and got back on and resumed his downward journey. OK, he's conquered the steps, but there's another 200-odd metres of 25% gradient hill. Before he hits T-junction. I did expect to see a mangled bike at the bottom of the road, but I guess somehow he survived. I don't think he'll be troubling old age.

Perhaps an urban version of http://road.cc/content/feature/12692-scrapheap-challenge is in the pipeline?   ;D

ian

« Reply #247 on: 01 March, 2015, 05:39:59 pm »

Perhaps an urban version of http://road.cc/content/feature/12692-scrapheap-challenge is in the pipeline?   ;D

He'd be a champion. I'm not sure if he planned the descent or not, it's a footpath and I suppose you might not know it's a big flight of steep steps. It's not easy to walk down, and to be honest, I think a tad technical even for a professional mountain biker.

I've really no idea how he managed to get up after that fall and just carry on, he sort of bounced and rolled down the lane and the bike was going top over tail without him (I'm not sure how the bike survived for that matter). He was 'lucky' as sometimes people park on the lane leaving just enough room for a slow moving pedestrian to squeeze by.

« Reply #248 on: 01 March, 2015, 06:07:45 pm »
D's of the day, three abreast wrong way along a narrow one-way street in a  Wold's market town.
Compounded by shouting at the oncoming cars going the correct way.
One wearing a well known jersey from the nearby city cycle club

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #249 on: 04 March, 2015, 10:35:26 pm »
Today's is the owner of the very elegant Brian Rourke track bike I parked next to outside the Lewisham leisure centre. Lovely clean lines, top tube angling up near the seatpost, internal routing for the rear brake cable, but looking cleaner still with the brake removed, proper flip-flop hub ... turned to use the freewheel side. :facepalm:
Not especially helpful or mature