Author Topic: The Flatlands 2017 - 9th Sep  (Read 42778 times)

Re: The Flatlands 2017 - 9th Sep
« Reply #275 on: 09 October, 2017, 12:57:57 pm »

Incidentally, after sending the form back to Kent police they wrote back to say that the speed camera picture was not clear enough to prosecute.   Bit odd given that it was clear enough to pick out my numberplate.   Lucky escape anyway.
[/quote]

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #276 on: 09 October, 2017, 03:09:21 pm »
Incidentally, after sending the form back to Kent police they wrote back to say that the speed camera picture was not clear enough to prosecute.   Bit odd given that it was clear enough to pick out my numberplate.   Lucky escape anyway.
:thumbsup: Nice dodge!

« Reply #277 on: 08 September, 2018, 08:31:30 pm »
Today's Times has a report about last year's Flatlands accident. It is grim reading.

« Reply #278 on: 10 September, 2018, 06:52:43 pm »
For those that missed the Times can you share the highlights?

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #279 on: 10 September, 2018, 07:06:54 pm »
Here's a link.  Hopefully it won't be behind the firewall.  It makes for grim reading but should explain why it was so important to close down discussion of the incident here and on other fora in the immediate aftermath.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/past-six-days/2018-09-08/news/cyclist-william-tweddell-paralysed-and-adrian-boswood-and-christopher-pratt-injured-after-driver-michael-bradbury-hit-three-and-fled-during-flatlands-600k-event-nc7n56tjj
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #281 on: 10 September, 2018, 07:39:41 pm »
Jon Straw, mitigating, told the court Bradbury had been a normal, hardworking young man.

"He did not set out that night to hurt anyone, he set out to drive home."

Mr Straw added: "In perhaps 9,999 out of 10,000 times he would have got away with it.

"Sadly, that wasn't the case here."

Is it just me, or does this make anyone else extremely angry?

Passing through the area over the weekend (though fortunately not the A15), I was reminded of this incident by the numerous signs warning drivers of the high number of fatalities. To paraphrase Oscar Wilde, one road death may be regarded as a misfortune... I'd guess it's statistically likely that most road deaths are caused by "normal hardworking young men". Why should this be regarded as any kind of mitigation? You don't have to be especially evil to drive like an arsehole and kill people.

I was especially mindful of the incident while riding back south through Branston - it occurred to me that being on my own, if someone had knocked me off and not stopped, it's possible I wouldn't have been discovered until the morning.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #282 on: 11 September, 2018, 11:59:38 am »
If you can't read the article at the link (I get asked for registration details) there is a legible scan of it on this thread http://citycyclingedinburgh.info/bbpress/topic.php?id=19105 (started by Dave of Laid Back Bikes in Edinburgh).