Author Topic: Fettle or skip this trailer?  (Read 7004 times)

Re: Fettle or skip this trailer?
« Reply #50 on: 12 August, 2020, 08:47:35 am »
The frame I've got is steel and not going to win any awards for being lightweight - given how hilly Lancaster is, it would be good to keep the weight down on the platform where possible.

The wheels will be easy enough to remove, and if the box is removable too, then that's fine storage-wise. No need to get any more foldy than that, and I don't think that would be possible anyway without serious frame re-workings.

The box will be useful for food shopping and maybe participatory workshop scenarios. I wouldn't be surprised if it has to carry a sewing machine at some point, and loads of random metal and wood (nice work with the clamps, Kim!) are all par for the course.

Additional chassis crossbars would be a good move, I think, but welding access is still unlikely. Probably they're retrofittable to a certain extent, or it might be possible to bolt something on.

I'm trying to remind myself that a) in its original form there was just a thin layer of cloth supporting a couple of small children and b) wood can always be replaced if necessary.

Thought: I suppose I'm going to have to contrive to make it D-lockable as well.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #51 on: 12 August, 2020, 09:41:48 am »
<Mad idea>
Given that Lancaster's hilly and some of those loads sound pretty heavy, but that you're "way too young" for an e-bike, and given the cost of an e-bike and the possible desire or need to use this trailer with multiple bikes, how about a small electric motor on the trailer? To be controlled from the bars of the rider's bike via some gadgetry.

A powered trailer. What could possibly go wrong?
</Mad idea>

Sane idea: rather than a D-lock, a decent chain would be more flexible in the types of things you could lock it to, would be able to secure wheels and frame, and shouldn't require modifications to frame etc.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #52 on: 12 August, 2020, 11:03:26 am »
<Mad idea>
Given that Lancaster's hilly and some of those loads sound pretty heavy, but that you're "way too young" for an e-bike, and given the cost of an e-bike and the possible desire or need to use this trailer with multiple bikes, how about a small electric motor on the trailer? To be controlled from the bars of the rider's bike via some gadgetry.

</Mad idea>

Like all the best mad ideas, it's an existing product.  https://ridekick.com/

Sane idea: rather than a D-lock, a decent chain would be more flexible in the types of things you could lock it to, would be able to secure wheels and frame, and shouldn't require modifications to frame etc.

I just lock one of the (removable!) wheels of the trailer to something with a cable-lock.  Admittedly, I'm just popping into the shop, rather than leaving it all day outside a university.  I never came up with a good way to secure the plastic box.

Standard Carry Freedom security enhancement for touring: Replace the hitch pin (and probably the one attaching the hitch arm to the frame, unless you opt for a nut and bolt) with an appropriately-sized padlock.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #53 on: 12 August, 2020, 11:12:35 am »
<Mad idea>

</Mad idea>

Like all the best mad ideas, it's an existing product.  https://ridekick.com/
500W in a trailer? No, nothing bad could happen. And it'll carry a briefcase? Very useful for $849.

I just lock one of the (removable!) wheels of the trailer to something with a cable-lock.  Admittedly, I'm just popping into the shop, rather than leaving it all day outside a university.  I never came up with a good way to secure the plastic box.

Standard Carry Freedom security enhancement for touring: Replace the hitch pin (and probably the one attaching the hitch arm to the frame, unless you opt for a nut and bolt) with an appropriately-sized padlock.
A decent length chain should be able to go through frame and at least one wheel. I doubt if the box on its own is particularly attractive to thieves and you could always carry it with you if you were worried about it. Well, maybe. It is kind of big.

Ha, you could put castors on the bottom of the box and tow it behind you like a suitcase. Castors would fit into cut outs in the plywood, so not rolling around on the trailer.

« Reply #54 on: 12 August, 2020, 01:58:41 pm »
Given that the route to campus has spent some of the last week under water, maybe a paddle wheel attachment and use the big box as a flotation aid?

The box has castors - they're not in the photos because they weren't helping things stay where I wanted them.

Noted: thanks!

« Reply #55 on: 12 August, 2020, 04:05:31 pm »
<Mad idea>

</Mad idea>

The KMX guys built one back in 2002/3 and had it at one of the Cyclemagic events in Leicester - it was a flat bed with bateries and motor below, IIRC. I remember one of them 'surfing' on the trailer behind one of the junior KMX Kart trikes.  ;D

Given that the route to campus has spent some of the last week under water, maybe a paddle wheel attachment and use the big box as a flotation aid?

The big trailer I built from a section of scaffold tower could be used to tow the 8ft pedal boat that I built, but it could also be fixed behind the boat, floats added, and the towing bike fixed to a 'roof-rack bike rack' on the trailer. So you could tow the bike on the trailer with the boat. :smug:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #56 on: 14 August, 2020, 03:37:51 pm »
The big trailer I built from a section of scaffold tower could be used to tow the 8ft pedal boat that I built, but it could also be fixed behind the boat, floats added, and the towing bike fixed to a 'roof-rack bike rack' on the trailer. So you could tow the bike on the trailer with the boat. :smug:

That's impressive! How much in the way of extra floats does a big trailer built from scaffold tower require?!

« Reply #57 on: 14 August, 2020, 04:22:38 pm »
I was not allowed to try it out, but the trailer was about 15kg, plus the weight of the bike - probably another 15kg.

The pair of floats were ones I was given, and I would guess they were 30-40 litre displacement, each.

These floats...

Which fitted this trailer...

That would have gone behind this boat

« Reply #58 on: 21 September, 2020, 08:02:05 pm »

Big box doing sterling work as a small workbench.

Getting there...

« Reply #59 on: 21 September, 2020, 08:45:05 pm »
As I am getting low on stock of the trailer hitches I use, and gave a trailer to a local lad starting a gardening business, I looked for a better supplier of the M10 releasable ball joints I use.

I got some from this company, and they seem pretty good - wondered if you are interested Nikki, if you want a quick to hitch/unhitch solution to the attachment issue.: https://www.wdscomponents.com/en-gb/steel-quick-release-ball-joints-wds-557/c-431/p-2078/v-15136

« Reply #60 on: 21 September, 2020, 09:37:27 pm »
As I am getting low on stock of the trailer hitches I use, and gave a trailer to a local lad starting a gardening business, I looked for a better supplier of the M10 releasable ball joints I use.

I got some from this company, and they seem pretty good - wondered if you are interested Nikki, if you want a quick to hitch/unhitch solution to the attachment issue.: https://www.wdscomponents.com/en-gb/steel-quick-release-ball-joints-wds-557/c-431/p-2078/v-15136

A quick to hitch/unhitch solution sounds appealing but I have to confess I have no idea how that joint works!

nikki, are your electric tools duelling?

heh! My German supermarket brand drill's battery went kaputt, so the uni's DeWalt would definitely win!

« Reply #61 on: 21 September, 2020, 09:46:27 pm »
A quick to hitch/unhitch solution sounds appealing but I have to confess I have no idea how that joint works!

I googled it...

I'd have to do a fair bit of construction to make a bracket that attaches one bit to the bike and the other to the trailer, wouldn't I? I think that's going to be beyond what tools I've got access to atm.

« Reply #62 on: 30 October, 2020, 08:28:04 am »

I trailered the trailer yesterday!

Needed some encouragement to get out of the studio...

(But it did fit in the goods lift.)

Bins!

I'm already fed up with faffing with the QR each time I attach and detach the trailer, and I've ordered some rubber feet to use as locating gubbins on the base of the box to prevent it drifting into the wheel.

The bike's not very stable when it's all parked up (although it was pretty windy yesterday), so I'm also pondering some sort of stand for the front of the trailer so I can detach it and still have it horizontal to function as a useful surface during workshops.

« Reply #63 on: 30 October, 2020, 08:36:43 am »
top job!!

« Reply #64 on: 30 October, 2020, 09:47:57 am »
Thanks!

The old maxim "it'll be nice when it's finished" :-)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #65 on: 30 October, 2020, 12:23:30 pm »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #66 on: 30 October, 2020, 06:50:54 pm »
Very smart 🤓 👌
the slower you go the more you see

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #67 on: 30 October, 2020, 06:56:40 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Need a wider studio door...

« Reply #68 on: 30 October, 2020, 08:24:28 pm »
In the absence of a studio ceiling that doesn't let water in from the floor above, they're moving us to different studios. The next one has a double door - just lots of narrow and corner-y stuff to get to it...

« Reply #69 on: 30 October, 2020, 09:35:57 pm »
From someone who spent almost 50 years working in engineering, "Most impressive bit of fettling"  :thumbsup:
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

« Reply #70 on: 02 November, 2020, 07:25:39 pm »

I googled it...

I'd have to do a fair bit of construction to make a bracket that attaches one bit to the bike and the other to the trailer, wouldn't I? I think that's going to be beyond what tools I've got access to atm.

I took a couple of photos at the weekend, when I had the trailer in use - The attachment to the bike used a couple of inches of angle-iron, and tools used were hacksaw, file, centre-punch and drill (plus a vice). Although attachment to the trailer involved welding a M10 bolt into a bit of tube, I could have just drilled a 10mm hole through at 90deg to the tube, and put a bolt through.

« Reply #71 on: 04 November, 2020, 09:51:03 pm »
Thanks for the photos Wobbly John (and for the various positive responses, everyone else!).

I decided to just suck it up this time and get the Carry Freedom hitch.

I'm really looking forward to getting out and about with it. Oh...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #72 on: 05 November, 2020, 11:42:55 am »
I'm really looking forward to getting out and about with it. Oh...
Daily food run. Plus essential research.