Author Topic: Group holiday ideas  (Read 1743 times)

Group holiday ideas
« on: 26 May, 2019, 05:48:30 pm »
Right collective minds. October half term the wife would like to go away with her two best friends and their families so we are talking 3 families of two adults and two kids each. Eldest 7 youngest will be around a year by then. Ideal would be accommodation that is centralised but with space to be apart. Everyone except me has said maybe center Parc but I don't like it or want to pay school holiday prices for it.

Had anyone got any brilliant suggestions. Families are coming brom Essex and Brighton areas so below London would probably ideal

My girls are pretty rugged but don't think the other would want to camp, maybe glamp but would want somewhere for wet days

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Re: Group holiday ideas
« Reply #1 on: 27 May, 2019, 09:51:05 am »
Exclusive use of a hostel or bunkbarn - like the one at Malham (out of your geographical area but I'm sure there are others in better-for-you places) that has featured on a couple of forum jollies? http://www.malhambunkbarn.co.uk/ 

Or look for grouped holiday cottages? e.g. (random pick from cottages.com so not an actual recommendation)  https://www.cottages.com/cottages/sherrill-farm-holiday-cottages-great-meadow-ukc1433?start=25-10-2019 which if you scroll to the bottom has a 'Alternative properties at this location' section which shows a number of 4-5 person cottages.  You can search their site for 'grouped properties' to find that kind of thing, and specify geographical area/features such as swimming pools or wifi.  Cottages.com usually have a cashback deal available via quidco btw.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2 on: 27 May, 2019, 10:06:30 am »
Check CenterParcs in Holland. Different company and much nicer people - not so many Audi owners. Max 3 hours drive from the channel Tunnel.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 27 May, 2019, 01:10:24 pm »
UK Centerparcs are very good at what they do (but not cheap!).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #4 on: 27 May, 2019, 02:21:59 pm »
Independent Hostels:

https://independenthostels.co.uk/

There may be one small enough for you to takeover if some people don't mind sharing.

« Reply #5 on: 27 May, 2019, 02:28:49 pm »
A large farmhouse rental would work.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #6 on: 27 May, 2019, 03:25:16 pm »
A large farmhouse rental would work.

That was my initial thought - the Cubs and I have done shared holidays away with CrinklyUncle&CrinklyAuntie or another couple we are friends with, and a few years back we all went away together and it was lovely, hence going and having a quick look at fairly mahoosive holiday 'cottages' but then I thought that the several cottages in the same place might be better for this requirement:

Ideal would be accommodation that is centralised but with space to be apart.

« Reply #8 on: 17 June, 2019, 10:37:58 pm »
Ever stayed on Lundy?

https://www.landmarktrust.org.uk/search-and-book/properties/millcombe-house-13591/?ZJjYEWg8T5Uilneb2kJmmS/wLBbpScPD6nGb8t7jjFdmZPMlAXYp1Ou1pz9L0dybC0U7hHM2O9CfxHpziggtKCGI3Ap5EQg6noQp677jc9P8QD1y0gsloR2X+6LU9V8BAssDq0ZmyUqrWGVCagJ9iN9hqPrUryGq#Overview

Landmark trust have lots of historic and interesting buildings you can stay in.

Lundy's great - especially if you book the house next to the pub like I did ;D   There's a sense of adventure going somewhere by boat first.
Check sailing dates - not sure if they only sail mid week which might not wor k well with half-term. Also fairly spendy as the accommodation is limited.
Lundy's campsite is next to the main generator shed so until they switch the juice off late at night the CHP throbs a bit and is a touch irritating.  Also, a jolly windy campsite!