Author Topic: This is not a tour. Welsh rides in the spirit of Mike Hall - 2/3rd June 2018.  (Read 63866 times)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Re: This is not a tour. Welsh rides in the spirit of Mike Hall - 2/3rd June 2018.
« Reply #50 on: 22 September, 2017, 07:11:08 pm »
...Struggling to get my head around the 600 option. 600km zipping along at 30km/h on smooth tar is one thing. 600km grinding up steep dirt tracks in the dark is quite another.

Welcome to the world of the full value rider, happy just to get round in time! :D

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
Re: This is not a tour. Welsh rides in the spirit of Mike Hall - 2/3rd June 2018.
« Reply #51 on: 22 September, 2017, 07:30:06 pm »
The ford is on the Claerwen - Teifi Pools track. Unbridged river crossing. No footbridge alternative. Depending on how much rain there's been it can be anything from ankle to thigh deep.

There's another one on NCN818 but there is a footbridge there so you don't have to ride/wade through it.

The 5th bit of off-road is the Elan Valley cycle path up to Craig Goch dam.
:o thigh deep? :-\

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #52 on: 22 September, 2017, 07:46:18 pm »
Not sure I can complete the 600 in time, but that's part of the attraction so that's the one for me. Bring it on!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #53 on: 22 September, 2017, 07:47:16 pm »
The ford is on the Claerwen - Teifi Pools track. Unbridged river crossing. No footbridge alternative. Depending on how much rain there's been it can be anything from ankle to thigh deep.

There's another one on NCN818 but there is a footbridge there so you don't have to ride/wade through it.

:o thigh deep? :-\
Is that Mr Dulates's thigh or Mrs' ?

If the farcebook servers allow, here's someone else making the dread crossing:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

U.N.Dulates

• aka John Hamilton
« Reply #54 on: 22 September, 2017, 09:35:48 pm »
Well you'll get wet feet either way.

But be grateful you're not going down the Strata Florida track http://www.wetroads.co.uk/ceredigion.htm

« Reply #55 on: 23 September, 2017, 12:11:19 pm »
Very keen for this. I've got the right bike now, so no excuses.
Struggling to get my head around the 600 option. 600km zipping along at 30km/h on smooth tar is one thing. 600km grinding up steep dirt tracks in the dark is quite another.

However like a moth to the flame it's hard to ignore the pull.

You've got the right sort of bike,  so that's one hurdle overcome. We both know your ability on the flat, so there's no problems there either. You're familiar with Wales in the spring, so thats another variable taken care of. You will have seen the Claerwen  vid, another unknown sawtid. The event notes also give advice, and there's more on the FB group.

Sounds like you're all ready and good to go. :thumbsup:

where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #56 on: 24 September, 2017, 03:55:28 pm »

This is the correct description of the rough sections. The 300/400/600 events were all planned so that the rough sections can be ridden before night fall because we are nice like that. I've also fixed the description on the fast 400km page.
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #57 on: 25 September, 2017, 12:28:49 am »
At the risk of winding folk up over the unfortunate clash of dates, is anyone not riding Black Sheep or Lucy's event thinking of using the AUK reunion weekend as a recce?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #58 on: 25 September, 2017, 10:22:39 am »
At the risk of winding folk up over the unfortunate clash of dates, is anyone not riding Black Sheep or Lucy's event thinking of using the AUK reunion weekend as a recce?
No: I'm doing Phil Dyson's (always very well-attended) event!  :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #59 on: 25 September, 2017, 07:34:33 pm »
If you ride the rough sections in November, be mindful that the weather maybe more of a factor than in June. Ie, it will be colder, darker, wetter under wheel, the ford higher, etc. Just saying.

« Reply #60 on: 25 September, 2017, 07:48:15 pm »
So it's an off road audax in November?  Has there been a risk assessment?

« Reply #61 on: 25 September, 2017, 07:54:44 pm »
So it's an off road audax in November?  Has there been a risk assessment?

???
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Smeth

« Reply #62 on: 25 September, 2017, 11:16:15 pm »

If you ride the rough sections in November, be mindful that the weather maybe more of a factor than in June. Ie, it will be colder, darker, wetter under wheel, the ford higher, etc. Just saying.

Good points appreciated and noted. A recce of some bits as a day out on the bike, no sleep deprivation and can turn round if the river's 4 ft deep. "Better drowned than duffers. If not duffers won't drown" A. Ransome.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #63 on: 26 September, 2017, 01:31:13 pm »
Pic 5 in the instagram feed, what road is that?
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #64 on: 26 September, 2017, 05:42:50 pm »
If we mean the same photo then it's along side Clearwan Reservoir.

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #65 on: 26 September, 2017, 05:46:06 pm »
Or 5 from the other end of the feed is looking down Bwlch-y-Groes

SoreTween

« Reply #66 on: 27 September, 2017, 07:52:41 am »
Bwlch-y-Groes was the one I meant, thanks. The OS map is quite arrowey just there isnt it  :o My knees are exceedingly pleased to see the 300 doesn't go that way.

A technical hitch has meant the entry button didn't pop up at 00:01, they should all be available in 15 minutes or so...

SoreTween

Working now :-D (300, interesting, sane)

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
I'm in for the fast 300  :thumbsup:

Darren Franks

• Adventure Capitalist
    • The Adventure Capitalist Blog
I've signed up for the Fast 400 but I'm now wondering if I've been soft and should be doing the 600.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
I am surprised (in a good way) at how many people are going for the 600  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

I decided on the fast 400 too as I'm going to attempt the Mersey roads 24 just over a month later and if LEL was anything to go buy I'm not sure I would fully recover in time if I did the 600 (getting old , getting sensible, getting Grumpy 🤔Pick any two)😎

I am surprised (in a good way) at how many people are going for the 600  :thumbsup:

How many are going for the 600 ?

Smeth

I am surprised (in a good way) at how many people are going for the 600 

How many are going for the 600 ?
Er.. me. Glad there will be quite a few.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk