Author Topic: 1000 DIY by GPX  (Read 2271 times)

Martin

1000 DIY by GPX
« on: 12 October, 2010, 08:29:56 am »
it had to happen;

I like this write-up; it sums up what AUK is about (names removed to protect the innocent)

This wasn’t an easy ride but the long ones rarely are. Re the GPS. I’ve set mine to record every 30 seconds, the reason being it will record the whole of a long ride (1001 Miglia) without running out of memory. Hope this isn’t an issue with AUK as I’d like to avoid a re-run, at least this year!  One set of lithiums just lasted for the run down, and a 2nd set for the return. So there are 2 track logs, one each way. But I switched it off at Sennen to conserve power.

Getting out of London to the SW I use the NCircular /A4/A30 but at least there wasn’t much traffic late at night. Pushed into a SW headwind all the way out. A mixture of main roads and lanes. I’d put alternative routes in the GPS and followed one thro Crediton North of Exeter which was very laney and rather hilly. In fact some roads I wouldn’t have like to drive down. Can see how the artics get into issues using these devices!

Hit by an appalling mini storm at night somewhere on Bodmin moor and instantly soaked. Eventually found shelter on an industrial estate and spent a couple of hours in a cardboard box til the worst had passed, which rather slowed things down.

7am Wednesday arrived at Sennen Cove where I have the keys to a cottage, so I had the chance to dry out for a few hours before the return leg. Used the old A30 from Okehampton, then a new route in Exeter, looked shorter on the etrex but involved a monster climb in the dark.

Had a very rough third night, stopping at every garage and shelter I came across. Had enough of climbing and chose the A303 expecting the SWesterly to blow me home only it had turned round, so grovelled into a headwind all the way back. With the last 120k into London thro the rush hour, not nice.

I stopped at maybe a dozen bus shelters which I can now mark on the etrex for future use. What the LED lights, floro jackets, 24hr petrol stations GPS and mobile phone this long distance game is a lot easier then it used to be!

Chris N

Re: 1st 1000 DIY by GPX
« Reply #1 on: 12 October, 2010, 08:34:18 am »

« Reply #2 on: 12 October, 2010, 08:37:29 am »
Doesn't sound much fun.

Chris n, Toby and I made our 1300k GPS DIY in May much more pleasurable, although we got lucky with the weather. No bus shelters involved: Scottish DIY 1300: May 29th - June 2nd 2010

Haha, and Chris is up earlier than me!

Martin

« Reply #3 on: 12 October, 2010, 08:38:05 am »

Chris N

Re: 1000 DIY by GPX
« Reply #4 on: 12 October, 2010, 08:45:30 am »
It really does make so much sense, especially for remote and long rides.  We were very disciplined about control locations (and collected receipts for each) anyway - because of lack of choice but the GPS made life easy.

The only worry, for me at least, was the trackpoint limit.  My Etrex H can only record 10,000 points so I had to set mine to 1 point every 140 metres.  It seemed that mine underestimated the climbing too: approx 17000 metres compared to 19000 metres on Paul and Toby's Vista HCx units.

« Reply #5 on: 12 October, 2010, 11:36:30 am »
Matter of interest, how many controls in that 1000km, Martin?

« Reply #6 on: 12 October, 2010, 11:55:43 am »
When I set my Etrex track recording interval to .1km rather than .01km, I find the track comes out .5km shorter over my 29km commute. I presume this doesn't matter for validation purposes, as it's just got to show that you went through the controls.

« Reply #7 on: 12 October, 2010, 12:01:17 pm »
When I set my Etrex track recording interval to .1km rather than .01km, I find the track comes out .5km shorter over my 29km commute. I presume this doesn't matter for validation purposes, as it's just got to show that you went through the controls.

One benefit of the Edge 705.

One point every second and a 1GB internal memory stops you worrying completely.

A 27 hour 400km Audax was only 34MB including GPS, HR and power data logged every second.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

DanialW

« Reply #8 on: 12 October, 2010, 12:22:17 pm »
Yes, I was amazed to discover recently that my gps unit had been quietly logging my rides to the data card. Every ride I'd done since April 2008 had been saved. This got me out of a terrible pickle, and allowed me to bank a DIY700.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #9 on: 12 October, 2010, 12:31:39 pm »
Had enough of climbing and chose the A303

Ouch, nasty
The whole thing sounds a bit grim

Martin

« Reply #10 on: 12 October, 2010, 01:23:37 pm »
Matter of interest, how many controls in that 1000km, Martin?

only 9 intermediate; he rode 200km between a few of them (but presumably stopped off for food in between)

another advantage of GPS; you can space out the controls on a linear route as the programme will pick up any sections that are not ridden at cycling speed