Author Topic: Coronavirus and Audax  (Read 89146 times)

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
Re: Coronavirus and Audax
« Reply #25 on: 12 March, 2020, 04:28:18 pm »
A mask *could* be useful to keep yourself from putting your fingers in/around your gob. But tbh I just don't want to do that.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Davef

« Reply #26 on: 12 March, 2020, 04:30:09 pm »
It is a Margaret Thatcher mask. I thought it might encourage social distancing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #27 on: 12 March, 2020, 04:46:33 pm »
The Dutch 300km brevet this weekend is going ahead as planned, with a note on the registration page for participants to act sensibly.

I'm all set (trains and hotels booked, without cancellation options) for the Rando Imperator on May 9th. No word yet from the organisers, but I fear this will be cancelled. Last year about 250 riders at the start in Munich (mostly Italians) to ride through Austria and Bolzano / Trento / Mantua to Ferrara.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #28 on: 12 March, 2020, 05:00:24 pm »
I wouldn't give up hope just yet.  It's hard to see Italy keeping the whole country on lockdown for that long.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #29 on: 12 March, 2020, 06:03:40 pm »
The Dutch 300km brevet this weekend is going ahead as planned, with a note on the registration page for participants to act sensibly.

I am/was (it's in a quantum state at the moment) going to ride that brevet. My main worry is my reliance on public transport to get to the start (who knows who has touched the button to open the doors). The audax itself (with some updated rules like no group start, only free controls) seems safe enough.

Chris S

« Reply #30 on: 12 March, 2020, 06:34:46 pm »
I've not been audaxing much for a while, but I had entered the Dirty Reiver 200. Looks like they're going to try their best to keep the event going, but I very much think the decision will be taken out of their hands - by 18th April, I'm pretty sure we'll be well into the "Everyone stay in your homes" stage.

As for looking after your immune system - it all starts with sleep, so riding a long event that robs you of that is just daft, at a time when you need it most.

« Reply #31 on: 12 March, 2020, 06:40:03 pm »
I agree about sleep deprivation. As such, my daughter is now up for auction on eBay. Happy bidding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #32 on: 12 March, 2020, 08:27:52 pm »
I have two 400's entered and paid for in May which for a full value rider such as myself will mean riding (or at least being out) for around 26 hours. I can see the wall but just struggling to read the writing at the moment.

Phil W

« Reply #33 on: 12 March, 2020, 08:46:55 pm »
If you are not already full value then you may want to slow down your audax pace.  I was pretty wiped out after a 200 in December but my three 200’s since I’ve felt pretty good throughout and at the end.  The early wipe out may have been poor fitness for the task after a reduction of cycling in autumn.  But pacing it so I don’t go too hard and don’t go too easy seems to be doing the job.

I’d just concentrate on your fitness and being as anti social as you can bear for now. I’m assuming events I’ve entered will run and if not I’ll look to DIY something equivalent assuming no travel restrictions.

Fitness as well as age is a good predictor as to how well you’ll deal with the infection in the absence of any pre existing conditions.

simonp

« Reply #34 on: 12 March, 2020, 08:50:21 pm »
We are some way beyond 1000 cases. The reported number is days behind new infection and is doubling every 3.5 days.

Now confirmed it’s believed the true number of infected people in the uk is 5000-10000.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #35 on: 12 March, 2020, 09:08:10 pm »
Plus side for me is, if loads of the events I've entered are delayed, I might get to ride them if my leg ever recovers....

Phil W

« Reply #36 on: 12 March, 2020, 09:27:39 pm »
Plus side for me is, if loads of the events I've entered are delayed, I might get to ride them if my leg ever recovers....

Must be a bugger watching your fitness leech away.

simonp

« Reply #37 on: 12 March, 2020, 09:33:51 pm »

Tell me about it.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #38 on: 12 March, 2020, 09:51:09 pm »

Not noticing, I can't walk far enough on it before the oww gets me, limited to about 100m tops.
I usually walk just short of 2km every lunch time...

What I am noticing is the affect of not managing to alter diet to suit lack of activity.

Although as IroIroMono pointed out the other day in relation to Deanos 1000 "You’ll be fresh if not fit".
Once I'm back on the bike I'll build up to 100 and then see how I get on on longer, the 1000 at least gives me plenty of bail out options most of the way round.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #39 on: 12 March, 2020, 11:48:20 pm »

I feel sorry for many who are significantly through their RRtY attempt.

I've got 9/12 of the AUK RRtY. Am supposed to be doing 10/12 on Monday...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #40 on: 13 March, 2020, 12:29:40 am »

J

Possibly there could be some kind of adjustment made? I think there has been for weather before.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #41 on: 13 March, 2020, 12:42:29 am »
Good luck with that. The last "adjustment" was contentious to say the least.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #42 on: 13 March, 2020, 12:53:59 am »
 ;D

Oh yes, but this is Audax.  :P
It is simpler than it looks.

S2L

« Reply #43 on: 13 March, 2020, 06:31:33 am »

J

To be honest, with thousands of people dying around the world and millions of healthcare workers coping with emergencies, I really give less than a fxxk about anyone in the middle of their RRTY...

« Reply #44 on: 13 March, 2020, 08:07:14 am »
I can confirm the:

- Kidderminster Killer is cancelled
- Beyond the Dyke is postponed until 3rd October
- From Clee to Heave is postponed until 3rd October

I have shared my detailed rationale privately with both AUK and other organisers within the Organisers Facebook Group.

Cancelling a cycling event is a emotive experience amongst passionate cyclists but this disproportionate to the  reality of social and public health responsibility.  Livelihoods are not at stake and audaxes are not significant compared to the wider concerns over public health.  On this basis, I decided to ignore the emotive issues and follow my professional instinct exercised in my workplace and as an event organiser.  The KK can wait for another year.

Other organisers will have their own rationales and methodologies dependent upon the level of risk, ability to provide mitigating measures and event timing.  I am sure that decisions will be considered and proportionate representing the characteristics of each individual event and evolving public health policy.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

Davef

« Reply #45 on: 13 March, 2020, 08:16:27 am »
To mitigate effects

1. Postal start and finish
2. Staggered start times
3. Only information controls
4. Self sufficiency for food

.... but then it isn’t really an audax anymore.

I think the autumn is going to be busy.

S2L

« Reply #46 on: 13 March, 2020, 08:40:39 am »
To mitigate effects

1. Postal start and finish
2. Staggered start times
3. Only information controls
4. Self sufficiency for food

.... but then it isn’t really an audax anymore.

I think the autumn is going to be busy.

I did think about it and I don't see why it isn't audax anymore... if push comes to shove and there is still no ban on running small events but the perception is that it is not safe to do so and it turns out impossible to find volunteers to help, I will probably go for something along those lines and tell riders that the proceedings will be donated to the NHS

« Reply #47 on: 13 March, 2020, 08:43:40 am »
We did indeed decide a similar course of action for the Heerlen 300 on saturday
-only pre-entry
-only electronic payment online
-staggered start
-free controls

The Belgian governments decision of yesterday late evening changed all this, all bars and restaurants are closed, all non essential shops are closed during the weekend. All sports manifestations regardless of size are cancelled.
So we had to cancel as well. Not the conditions you want an early season 300 to be held under.

« Reply #48 on: 13 March, 2020, 10:20:20 am »
Apparently if you sit on the back of a group and never take a turn then you are cycling in a stream of exhaled droplets. if you spend more time at the front you are safe.

Instead I have bought a mask.

Masks are best worn by those with the virus to protect those without, they are very poor at protecting the wearer,  as the virus will stay on the damp mask which is positioned over your mouth and nose.

I read it as Dave saying that rather than take a turn on the front he'll take his chances at the back.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #49 on: 13 March, 2020, 10:29:13 am »
We did indeed decide a similar course of action for the Heerlen 300 on saturday
-only pre-entry
-only electronic payment online
-staggered start
-free controls

The Belgian governments decision of yesterday late evening changed all this, all bars and restaurants are closed, all non essential shops are closed during the weekend. All sports manifestations regardless of size are cancelled.
So we had to cancel as well. Not the conditions you want an early season 300 to be held under.
Also falls under the government decree of all sports events cancelled regardless of size. So no choice

Eddington  127miles, 170km