Author Topic: Arrivée est arrivé!  (Read 475411 times)

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
Re: Arrivée est arrivé!
« Reply #2950 on: 14 December, 2023, 10:15:48 am »
That doesn't sound good, but hopefully it is an isolated case. Please email me membership@audax.uk ideally with a photo of the offending pages and I will a) send a replacement copy if you would like one and b) tell the printer.  If anyone else has the same problem please do likewise!

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #2951 on: 14 December, 2023, 10:17:43 am »
Got my copy on Tuesday . . .  and they've reintroduced the ink smell at the printers . . . . . . . it really is awful so my copy has been banished to the garage by Mrs robgul.
I have a lot of copies in the house and haven't noticed an odd odour. Normally I have got a good sense of smell........
Goes off to sniff box full of magazines.....

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2952 on: 14 December, 2023, 02:01:52 pm »
Just had a sniff of mine, nothing particularly outstanding about the smell over my usual blood and snotters baseline

« Reply #2953 on: 14 December, 2023, 07:43:50 pm »
Mine doesn’t smell of printing chemicals

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2954 on: 14 December, 2023, 07:53:17 pm »
I have noticed that (really rather unpleasant) smell in previous issues but not this one.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2955 on: 14 December, 2023, 10:19:59 pm »

An envelope has arrived. Haven't opened it yet tho.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #2956 on: 14 December, 2023, 10:48:21 pm »
Got my copy on Tuesday . . .  and they've reintroduced the ink smell at the printers . . . . . . . it really is awful so my copy has been banished to the garage by Mrs robgul.

Same here.  I suspect people who don't notice anything untoward have something wrong with their olfactory system.

I'm enjoying the content, though.  Especially the mild bragging (joke, maybe?) about Cross Of Greet having a "gentle kicker" at the top - not from the north, it doesn't!

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #2957 on: 15 December, 2023, 03:09:31 pm »
I didnt notice anything untoward with the smell of my copy. 

On the back of this thread I went and sought it out again and had a good sniff.  "Noticeable but not overpowering" I'd say.

In the act of proactively sniffing a magazine I was reminded of a disciplinary case I was involved in many years ago at work. 

Part of the duties of a an individual employed as a car park attendant was to park the staff cars in a tiny Edinburgh city centre car park - some expertise was needed to ensure that the maximum number of cars could fit in to the very small city centre car park. 

In the course of his duties he had developed a penchant for smelling the seats of cars dropped off by women workers. 

His line manager wanted him dismissed for gross misconduct (matters were made more complicated as his wife was one of the aforementioned female workers) and  the individual himself saw no wrong in his conduct.

I concluded that a written warning was sufficient.

Can't please everybody

« Reply #2958 on: 15 December, 2023, 03:16:46 pm »
Even though I park my Audax mags. as tidily as possible, I do not consciously sniff them.  They just go for me!

« Reply #2959 on: 15 December, 2023, 09:53:10 pm »
Cant quite believe I’ve just picked up my magazine and given it a good sniff😂😂😂

The wife and kids are all looking at me like there’s something wrong with me!

Anyway I couldn’t smell anything unusual but did reflect that I like that it’s printed on a nice substantial paper rather than something resembling tissue paper.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #2960 on: 16 December, 2023, 09:33:50 am »
You can't judge a mag by the smell of its cover.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #2961 on: 16 December, 2023, 11:05:13 am »
The smell might be from copies first off the press where the ink hadn't fully dried or cured before packing.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2962 on: 16 December, 2023, 01:25:27 pm »
The smell might be from copies first off the press where the ink hadn't fully dried or cured before packing.

. .  as a former printer (some while ago) the printed sheets are very probably UV-cured/dried as they leave the press cylinders into the machine's delivery stack - the sheets would have then been through a folding machine before reaching the stitch & trim line. 

« Reply #2963 on: 16 December, 2023, 08:38:00 pm »
Regarding the speeding in Ashdon on the Tourdax ride report - I wonder if this is what was being referred to:

It's in the Ashdon village museum, which is open on (some?) Sunday afternoons in the summer - CTC Cambridge sometimes visit for afternoon tea. The sign is definitely due a comeback!

« Reply #2964 on: 17 December, 2023, 05:05:03 pm »
Any idea when the online version of the latest issue will be published? I want to link to it from our cycling club email newsletter as one of our members is featured. No pressure!!  ;D

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
« Reply #2965 on: 20 December, 2023, 11:23:31 am »
I sniffed my centrefold, no complaints about either!
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.