Author Topic: Arrivée est arrivé!  (Read 473660 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Arrivée est arrivé!
« Reply #450 on: 12 November, 2010, 11:33:29 am »
The answer has to be to have numbers for all entrants in Audax races.  ;)
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #451 on: 12 November, 2010, 12:27:20 pm »
It has arrived in mainland Europe today.
Today I also received the Dutch CTC magazine. And the Dutch human power (recumbent) magazine. And some new advertisements by Rose. This isn't going to help finishing the final version of my Bsc assignment that was due two weeks ago.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

« Reply #452 on: 12 November, 2010, 01:30:35 pm »
Some very good photos from Tim and Francis. A nice contrast between the limited depth of field telephoto approach and the hyperfocal wide angle, what kind of fisheye is that Francis?
It's always nice to see a cow in a shot, especially when black and white is part of the composition.
I'm surprised that no-one has been crass enough to remark that she can climb my Mam Nick any time she wants. That sort of comment would be beneath me, of course.

« Reply #453 on: 12 November, 2010, 01:45:46 pm »
It has arrived in mainland Europe today.
Today I also received the Dutch CTC magazine.

Only north of the rivers obviously. Hasn't arrived yet in the deep south.

Edit: My colleague was a bit late, got my copy late afternoon.

mikewigley

« Reply #454 on: 12 November, 2010, 02:06:02 pm »
I'm surprised that no-one has been crass enough to remark that she can climb my Mam Nick any time she wants. That sort of comment would be beneath me, of course.

I was the Organiser of this year's Dark Peak so I think you'll find that it's my Mam Nick

« Reply #455 on: 12 November, 2010, 02:08:50 pm »
Your Mam is called Nick?  Well there's a thing!

Cyklisten

• ... they came from the sea onto the land ...
    • Cyklisten Online
« Reply #456 on: 12 November, 2010, 03:31:21 pm »
Does anyone know if either of the Taylor-Vebels are about on this forum?

umm ... yep!  ;D

PM your email address and your name and location in the mag and Mrs Cyklisten will fish out the pix etc.

cheers

Andy .... Doh! ... er Cyklisten (Mr)  ;D

P.S. Mrs Cyklisten is now on YACF so you can PM her instead/aswell
Ti små cyklister tog ud på cykeltur ...

SFACC Audax Champion 2010

Mrs Cyklisten

« Reply #457 on: 12 November, 2010, 05:27:15 pm »

P.S. Mrs Cyklisten is now on YACF so you can PM her instead/aswell

That'll be me then - lurking on the steeper hills in Kent and the South East - and the occasional ford!  :demon:

The Mechanic

« Reply #458 on: 12 November, 2010, 07:04:17 pm »
Are my eyes deceiving me or has Dan Howard on the front cover got his mudguard fittings on the wrong way round.  It looks as though he has the quick release thingy on the back and nothing on the front.  I think he should be told.

« Reply #459 on: 12 November, 2010, 07:10:50 pm »
Are my eyes deceiving me or has Dan Howard on the front cover got his mudguard fittings on the wrong way round.  It looks as though he has the quick release thingy on the back and nothing on the front.  I think he should be told.
He's on fixed with track drop-outs. That way he can dislodge the mudguard stays to pull the wheel out easily. Ideally he'd get a second pair of quick release blocks for the front, but you only get one pair in the box when you buy those 'guards!

« Reply #460 on: 12 November, 2010, 09:04:27 pm »

I was the Organiser of this year's Dark Peak so I think you'll find that it's my Mam Nick

I defer to your Droit de Seigneur.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #461 on: 12 November, 2010, 10:53:59 pm »
You are Charlton Heston AICMFP

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #462 on: 13 November, 2010, 12:19:03 am »
A nice contrast between the limited depth of field telephoto approach and the hyperfocal wide angle, what kind of fisheye is that Francis?
Samyang 8mm.  ~=16 on my Olympus.  Very pleased with it.
And yes, its really nice not having to bother with focussing the thing.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #463 on: 13 November, 2010, 03:59:44 am »
A nice contrast between the limited depth of field telephoto approach and the hyperfocal wide angle, what kind of fisheye is that Francis?
Samyang 8mm.  ~=16 on my Olympus.  Very pleased with it.
And yes, its really nice not having to bother with focussing the thing.

Samyang builds some nice kit. I have the 1.4/85, stunning concert lens.

Bairn Again

« Reply #464 on: 14 November, 2010, 06:43:44 pm »
Is there any likleihood of the printers being held to account for the page order cock up?

Id like a proper one.     

Happy to send mine back to prove that its useless. 

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #465 on: 15 November, 2010, 01:20:31 pm »
Cover star query:
what light is that, and how has he attached it in the presence of a dual-pivot brake?

[can't see a dynamo]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #466 on: 15 November, 2010, 01:32:18 pm »
Cover star query:
what light is that, and how has he attached it in the presence of a dual-pivot brake?

[can't see a dynamo]

What light? It looks like a IQ Fly

How is it attached?  Look at the bracket underneath this Cyo

The bolt attaching the brake to the fork goes through the bracket

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #467 on: 15 November, 2010, 01:36:10 pm »
Thanks V.

So well done Lumotec, but something that would require some DIY to use for other makes of light. (cont. in some lighting thread somewhere ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #468 on: 15 November, 2010, 03:58:34 pm »
If you were asking because you want to mount a battery light on your crown, there is a similar mount for the Ixon IQ (or other lights that use the B&M/Smart/Polaris style of mount) available. It costs about a fiver. I've got one on my Roubaix, it had to be bent very slightly more vertical in order to comfortably clear the SRAM dual pivot caliper, which has a tall reinforcing triangle. Originally it would just fit, after a tweak it now has about 8mm clearance - more than enough to stop it touching when it vibrates in use. It is made of quite thick tough wire, I've no worries about fatigue due to it being bent.
I don't think it would have needed modifying for use with my other dual pivot calipers.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #469 on: 15 November, 2010, 06:01:47 pm »
Thanks Matt.
I looked on the PeterWhite site (where you can buy all this stuff), and it looks like your bracket causes problems if one has:
- proper* mudguards, and/or
- proper* fork crown

I might thus need one of these:
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/images/products/Lights/B&Mcyomounts1.jpg

Also:
these are all designed for dynamo lights (I think); 4xAA lights have a lot more mass, presumably this will increase fatigue issues ... ? [not that there aren't other sorts of battery light I could use]

*by proper I mean old-fashioned, retro, 20th C , etc ... :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #470 on: 15 November, 2010, 06:54:32 pm »
bike24.de sell them a bit closer to home. They are probably available in the UK too, I just happened to be putting in an order.

I've been using an Ixon IQ on mine (big 4xAA light), but not for long enough to get any longevity feel. It is sold by B&M for use with their Ixon battery lights (towards the bottom of this page), so I hope they've got it right. For scale, the wire used is 5mm diameter.

With "proper" mudguards (SKS), and fork crown (this is my Thorn Audax Mk3) the pretty identical Cyo bracket looks like this:-

Fairly tight, although there is a couple of mm clearance between the bracket and headset and the light could actually move down a bit more to give greater clearance.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #471 on: 15 November, 2010, 07:05:02 pm »
huh huh ... he said  bumm.de  ;D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

simonp

« Reply #472 on: 15 November, 2010, 07:29:17 pm »
The Schmidt EDelux is also supplied with the same bracket.  It's much better than the standard brackets B&M used to offer made from folded cheese.

« Reply #473 on: 15 November, 2010, 07:35:05 pm »
Great article on the Avalon Sunrise 400.
Just checked with Mrs Dinamo, can't ride in 2011 holiday already booked  :(
So have negotiated clearance to ride it in 2012  ;D

rottenhat

• Audax Irlande
    • Audax Ireland
« Reply #474 on: 17 November, 2010, 11:38:26 am »
I've been using an Ixon IQ on mine (big 4xAA light), but not for long enough to get any longevity feel. It is sold by B&M for use with their Ixon battery lights (towards the bottom of this page), so I hope they've got it right. For scale, the wire used is 5mm diameter.

Alas and alack, they have not - mine snapped in two a few weeks ago after a mere five or six months of use.  I will admit that Irish roads are rough as bejasus but I used to take the light off the bracket during the day to get rid of the rattling noise so it didn't even have the weight of the light on it for much of the time.  And after bouncing off the tarmac, the Ixon has become distinctly erratic in its operations...bah, there is a dynamo setup in my future.