Author Topic: Arrivée est arrivé!  (Read 475019 times)

jogler

• mojo operandi
Re: Arrivée est arrivé!
« Reply #500 on: 02 February, 2011, 02:59:15 pm »
Postie has just delivered mine....
here endeth today's office work

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #501 on: 02 February, 2011, 03:13:18 pm »
Flicking through the handbook, name checking awards - as you do - I reached the Mileater page.

I didn't know Pat Kenny but there was no doubt where his heart lay.

« Reply #502 on: 02 February, 2011, 05:32:45 pm »
Jaded and Jogler, 'umble hapologies!  Did you notice we got triple-Nelson against the convicts today?  Unfortunately, so did they!

« Reply #503 on: 02 February, 2011, 06:02:45 pm »
Er, anyone else missing the back cover with Abraham Cohen riding- Mad Jack Grimpeur ???

Looks as if the last page on my copy ends un numbered on the Calendar (could be 68).
Mad Jacks JSM/  Hills and Mills to be continued in 2021

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #504 on: 02 February, 2011, 06:37:18 pm »
^^^^
same here on both points
still an excellent mag..

« Reply #505 on: 02 February, 2011, 07:17:17 pm »
just realised I got a Randonneur 500 in my first season ! 

Congratulations!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #506 on: 02 February, 2011, 07:27:21 pm »
No2Daughter is reading the handbook.
"I've found you!"
"I've found you again!"
"I've found you again!"

We could be here a while.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #507 on: 02 February, 2011, 07:41:19 pm »
Hmm. I seem to be in at least 3 times. Seems a bit excessive, despite my epic achievements. There seem to be some duplication in these awards:

This Brevet 1000 thing. was it created to stop people getting past 200k? Or to make riders of 'proper' long-distance  hang out with the newbies on the short events?

[some of this post may be tongue-in-cheek]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #508 on: 02 February, 2011, 07:45:12 pm »
I don't know whether it is my imagination but has the format of Arrivee experienced a subtle change in formatting.  I refer to Stephen Poulton's article on the Gospal Pass and Colin Bezant's account of the Cambrian Series 8A.   Anyway, I thought that the greater incorporation of good quality photographs juxtaposed against the coloured paper was far more pleasing to the eye than the conventional use of voluminous text on white paper.    

...or do small things please small minds like mine :)

Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #509 on: 02 February, 2011, 08:22:46 pm »
My name is in three times. Fame at last! Admittedly only in Arrivee as a newbie and also in the handbook as a 500k and a 1,000k person, so not exactly up there with The Gods Of The Cycling World. I am amazingly chuffed. My name is in the same publication as George Berwick. Blimey!
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #510 on: 02 February, 2011, 08:22:48 pm »
I refer to Stephen Poulton's article on the Gospal Pass and Colin Bezant's TOBY's account of the Cambrian Series 8A.

Not Colin's report.

I am looking forward to reading the 8A account. Nicely lay out of the article :thumbsup:.

Er, anyone else missing the back cover with Abraham Cohen riding- Mad Jack Grimpeur ???

Looks as if the last page on my copy ends un numbered on the Calendar (could be 68).

Ah, yeah. Mine's like that too. Last page is a calendar page. Doesn't bother me, but doesn't make the printers look too hot.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #511 on: 02 February, 2011, 08:46:35 pm »

Ah, yeah. Mine's like that too. Last page is a calendar page. Doesn't bother me, but doesn't make the printers look too hot.

I suspect that was a  AUK decision ( probably late in the day) that to get all calendar events in the back page picture had to go - but the reference to back page photo got left in. My bet is not a printer error
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

Martin

« Reply #512 on: 02 February, 2011, 08:54:55 pm »
Nice to see that the South East's premier event features on the front and back covers of the handbook  ;)

Nice to see another of inside the mag; although I could not find Abe anywhere  ???

« Reply #513 on: 02 February, 2011, 09:01:39 pm »
I don't know whether it is my imagination but has the format of Arrivee experienced a subtle change in formatting.  I refer to Stephen Poulton's article on the Gospal Pass and Colin Bezant's account of the Cambrian Series 8A.   Anyway, I thought that the greater incorporation of good quality photographs juxtaposed against the coloured paper was far more pleasing to the eye than the conventional use of voluminous text on white paper.    

...or do small things please small minds like mine :)

I agree - I found it much more pleasing to read.

I've counted 7 mentions of me in the handbook so far.  Could have been a couple more if I'd bothered with the admin.  And one mention in the magazine, if you know what you're looking for..

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #514 on: 02 February, 2011, 09:22:35 pm »
I suspect that was a  AUK decision ( probably late in the day) that to get all calendar events in the back page picture had to go - but the reference to back page photo got left in. My bet is not a printer error

Ah, yes.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #515 on: 02 February, 2011, 10:09:21 pm »
Congratulations!  :thumbsup:

Yes congratuations to all that got mentioned in despatches.

Mrs BlackSheep's a bit  :(  (disapointed her Ultra Randonneur got missed).

As did another lady I believe, there's not that many of them on the list.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

red marley

« Reply #516 on: 02 February, 2011, 11:34:00 pm »
I searched in vain for my name under Brevet 2000, 3000, 4000 and 5000 only to realise that "claims must be made to the recorder*", which I failed to do. I've only recently started to tot up my past rides and realise it is my fault as I should have read the instructions, but given all the relevant rides are on the database, could not these multi-year awards be calculated automatically? Presumably when a submission is made to the recorder, they have to be validated against the database anyway.

* I've no idea who The Recorder is, but I have an image of a St Peter like bearded fellow with a long ostrich quill who totals up each Auk's sins and good deeds in two columns of a large dusty ledger.

« Reply #517 on: 02 February, 2011, 11:39:50 pm »
Mrs BlackSheep's a bit  :(  (disapointed her Ultra Randonneur got missed).

I suggest a presentation on the startline of the Bryan Chapman.  That is no mean achievement.

« Reply #518 on: 03 February, 2011, 12:07:42 am »
purely in the spirit of constructive criticism, eds may like to consider page 8 handbook update for the 2012 edition... the first paragraph, tempting riders to consider longer rides over the coming season, suggests "perhaps the SR series... and perhaps you're even intending to ride the 1400k LEL in 2005..."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #519 on: 03 February, 2011, 12:23:35 am »
Perhaps time travel is one of AUK's secret benefits...

Alouicious

« Reply #520 on: 03 February, 2011, 06:55:38 am »
I searched in vain for my name under Brevet 2000, 3000, 4000 and 5000 only to realise that "claims must be made to the recorder*", which I failed to do. I've only recently started to tot up my past rides and realise it is my fault as I should have read the instructions, but given all the relevant rides are on the database, could not these multi-year awards be calculated automatically? Presumably when a submission is made to the recorder, they have to be validated against the database anyway.

* I've no idea who The Recorder is, but I have an image of a St Peter like bearded fellow with a long ostrich quill who totals up each Auk's sins and good deeds in two columns of a large dusty ledger.

I'm noted down for a Brevet 500 AND a Brevet 1000, which I didn't claim because I was accumulating 100s for a Brevet 2000. ?? So I assumed it was automatic.....

I sent for the Brevet 2000 Badge during 10/11 season using 100 km rides from 09/10 and 10/11 seasons. I am waiting for one card to return to claim my Brevet 500 ( all in 10/11 season ), and have two 100s finished but not yet accredited for my Brevet 1000.
After the Brevet 1000 is done, I am on to a Brevet 3000 during 10/11, 11/12 & 12/13 seasons.

What will be in the 11/12 Handbook? Not a Brevet 2000.....

« Reply #521 on: 03 February, 2011, 09:50:41 am »
I would imaginr that the recorder and the AAA man will get a bit of a deluge from now..... :-X

« Reply #522 on: 03 February, 2011, 09:55:06 am »
It's very automatic - I'm listed for a randonneur 500 that I didn't earn having not done a 200 (seems an organiser pressed the button twice for a 100 I did so the system must think two identical 100's on the same day = 200).

On the first occasion I did do something of any note (new randonneur) I missed out because somebody with the same name had already done it once - always a risk with a name like Smith  ;)

Not complaining mind you, it doesn't matter of course, I'm never going to do anything that important.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #523 on: 03 February, 2011, 10:10:59 am »
I enjoyed reading the article about being unemployed and touring scotland in 1931

« Reply #524 on: 03 February, 2011, 10:14:01 am »
It's very automatic - I'm listed for a randonneur 500

The Randonneur awards are automatic since they only span one season and that's quite easy to code.

The Brevet awards can span multiple seasons and must be claimed. Not all of them are that easy to automate.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."