Author Topic: Arrivée est arrivé!  (Read 474745 times)

jogler

• mojo operandi
Re: Arrivée est arrivé!
« Reply #725 on: 13 May, 2011, 09:02:03 am »
As a relative newcomer to AUK I have little knowledge of it's event history so I ask....
in PBP season are there more 400 & 600 rides on the calendar than in other seasons?
If so, then why not (assumming Organisers are able & willing) maintain this quantity of 400 & 600 rides along with the same quantity of shorter rides to allow novice long distance riders progress from 100km to whichever of the longer/longest rides they choose to ride.

I think it's important,in it's best interests, to avoid a situation where AUK is perceived as an Organisation catering only for hard riding mile munchers,however inaccurrate that perception might be.
Equally so the original raison d'etre of AUK should be reflected in it's activities.

border-rider

« Reply #726 on: 13 May, 2011, 09:08:37 am »
As a relative newcomer to AUK I have little knowledge of it's event history so I ask....
in PBP season are there more 400 & 600 rides on the calendar than in other seasons?

Possibly a few more; the major difference is that more people ride them to qualify, and more people ride multiples of the same distance.  And they're more bunched into the "qualification windows" for each distance.  So they're generally busier.

If so, then why not (assumming Organisers are able & willing) maintain this quantity of 400 & 600 rides along with the same quantity of shorter rides to allow novice long distance riders progress from 100km to whichever of the longer/longest rides they choose to ride.

I don't think we're short of 400s & 600s on the calendar these days.  There seem to me to be very many more than 10 years ago.  One issue is that they tend to be grouped more towards the spring & early summer, so many people who are looking to build from shorter distances will find less choice when they feel they're fit enough to tackle something longer.  I suppose that's partly the PBP legacy and partly to do with day length.

« Reply #727 on: 13 May, 2011, 09:12:58 am »

In 2011: 26 × 400, 22 × 600 (PBP year)

In 2010: 26 × 400, 16 × 600

So about 40% more 600s this year, but there were not so few last year that anyone could plausibly be said to be missing out on the opportunity to ride one. The main difference is that in 2010 there were three 400s and a 600 in August; there are none this year.

Edit: Going further back, the calendar isn't so helpful, but looking at the result sheets (and ignoring arrows, 24-hour time trials, and overseas events), I count:

2009: 14 × 400, 13 × 600
2008: 13 × 400, 12 × 600
2007: 18 × 400, 15 × 600 (PBP year)
2006: 18 × 400, 13 × 600

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #728 on: 13 May, 2011, 09:38:20 am »
2010 was itself an artificial year, because of the panic surrounding PBP pre-qualification.
The trouble with more events (of whatever distance) is simply that more events means smaller events, fewer facilities.  If riding a first 400, the support of being part of a big field is worth something.

What we lack is the message that the overall *aim* is to ride *long*.

What's getting lost in the noise, is the culture of riding 'hard'.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #729 on: 13 May, 2011, 11:07:40 am »
Francis, do you mean 'hard' as in 'fast'. Or 'hard' as in 'difficult'. Or 'hard' as in just plain gruelling?
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #730 on: 13 May, 2011, 11:29:23 am »
or aroused?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #731 on: 13 May, 2011, 11:38:12 am »
(advertisers are skilled at providing copy very late, and in a subtly incompatible format).

Tell me about it!

Partly because the magazine production costs are, AIUI, well under control and don't need much subsidy.

That's reassuring to know.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #732 on: 13 May, 2011, 01:09:21 pm »
I'm at the stage where 100km no longer seems like a long way, but I remember when it did - and AUK rides got me from there to here. I might manage a first 300 or 400 this year, depending on other stuff in my life and the July/August/September calendar. I'll observe the PBPers here and on twitter, as I did for LEL, and I'm enjoying the build up. However far I end up riding I'm resigned to someone else going further and faster and harder. That's all fine - and reading about it both inspires me and confirms my sanity. The best articles for me are the ones where the ride seems like a challenge, an adventure - which mostly arises from the rider's perception of what they are doing, as audaciousness isn't measured in km, m of climb or hours nor through the eyes of the man on the Clapham omnibus. Having said that, I like the Audax model of long distance, rather than first or fast, being the theme that connects these personal measures of achievement. Most Arrivée contributors do this in good measure, so I'm really very happy with my bedtime reading.

mikewigley

« Reply #733 on: 13 May, 2011, 01:38:10 pm »
I could be wrong (and if I'm sure Mr Undulates and his team will put me right)  but I don't think AUK commisions any events, they just put on whatever an Organiser happens to be prepared to run.  It anything it probably works the other way round, offering suggestions to get events to an agreed standard and ultimately refusing any that don't.

Having said that we did get some encouragement to put on BRM events last year when we weren't sure what pre-qualification rules there might be for PBP.  The increase in qualifiers in PBP years is left to Orgs to anticipate an extra demand for such events, such as my forthcoming Llanfair PG 400 (a few places still available), as this has seemed to work so far.

Should we be more proactive in looking for events?  How would that actually work?  And just to get the topic back to the subject line, should we commision articles for Arrivee?

citoyen

« Reply #734 on: 13 May, 2011, 02:06:41 pm »
I don't think AUK commisions any events

Is LEL not "commissioned" by AUK? (I'm not trying to be clever - genuine question.)

d.

« Reply #735 on: 13 May, 2011, 02:12:55 pm »
should we commission articles for Arrivée?

Yes, absolutely. It would be nice to see a wider variety of pieces. (Like the hilarious spoof dissertation in the current issue.) Also, lots of people write reports on this forum and on their blogs; if you see one that would be of interest to the Arrivée readership (with editing of course, since online and print are such different contexts), then it might be a good idea to ask.

JohnHamilton

« Reply #736 on: 13 May, 2011, 02:16:40 pm »
I could be wrong (and if I'm sure Mr Undulates and his team will put me right)  but I don't think AUK commisions any events, they just put on whatever an Organiser happens to be prepared to run. 

Absolutely. AUK is not an organising body. It's up to organisers to come up with ideas for events and put them on the calendar. There's the occasional prompting to organisers in PBP years (and last year with pre-qualifying) where we would like to see events to facilitate an agenda (e.g. PBP qualifying) but it's still down to organisers to actually put the events on.

Whether that's right or not is another matter. I can certainly see arguments for increasing involvements in encouraging the longer events and providing some overall direction for the calendar.

The important thing to me is that the focus and emphasis of the organisation remains on the longer events. The Olympic motto is "Stronger, faster, further". AUK's should just be "Further..."

That's not to say the shorter events, and the award structures around them aren't important. But they're a means to an end, of encouraging riders to the longer distances, rather than an end in themselves.

Of course not everyone will have the time, means or inclination to progress to the peak of the pyramid. And that's fine. It's a great strength of AUK that it's such a broad church that nearly everyone can make their own personal objectives and find their own measure of achievement.

But the organisation needs to be dynamic, and continue to encourage that progression up the ladder. If it stagnates, either through a focus entirely on the base of the pyramid with no-one moving upwards, or just on the peak such that there is no base of new riders to draw from then we all lose.

JohnHamilton

« Reply #737 on: 13 May, 2011, 02:17:52 pm »
I don't think AUK commisions any events

Is LEL not "commissioned" by AUK? (I'm not trying to be clever - genuine question.)

d.

That's the only exception.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #738 on: 13 May, 2011, 02:38:29 pm »
Brilliantly put John.
<snip>
The important thing to me is that the focus and emphasis of the organisation remains on the longer events. The Olympic motto is "Stronger, faster, further". AUK's should just be "Further..."

That's not to say the shorter events, and the award structures around them aren't important. But they're a means to an end, of encouraging riders to the longer distances, rather than an end in themselves.
<snip>

What I would add is that noone else is doing this in the UK - there are lots of organisations offering rides upto 100 miles, in many different flavours.

Much beyond that there is only AUK (apart from 12h and 24H time-trials!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Billy Weir

« Reply #739 on: 13 May, 2011, 03:29:07 pm »
And charity rides, some of which are vaguely audax-like, organising events well in excess of 100km.

There's probably a great untapped audience out there of people who have done or plan to do longer rides as a charity challenge - possibly an idea for where to "place" publicity etc outside of the usual cycling circles (MacMillan, for example, seem to be quite active with such rides).

citoyen

« Reply #740 on: 13 May, 2011, 04:03:01 pm »
And charity rides, some of which are vaguely audax-like, organising events well in excess of 100km.

...but rarely ridden at audax pace.

I think that's the big difference. I mentioned to some of my colleagues that I'm doing a 400 this weekend and they assumed I would be finishing it some time towards the end of next week.

d.

« Reply #741 on: 13 May, 2011, 04:14:07 pm »

There are a growing number of "London to <foreign capital> in 24 hours" which are all about 300km. Audax type distances and similar timescales/pacing.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Chris N

« Reply #742 on: 13 May, 2011, 04:15:04 pm »
I mentioned to some of my colleagues that I'm doing a 400 this weekend and they assumed I would be finishing it some time towards the end of next week.

That's about right, isn't it? ;)

Billy Weir

« Reply #743 on: 13 May, 2011, 05:24:14 pm »

My BP permanent version of the End to End has a time limit of 21 days.  It is validated by Audax UK.

Of the many hundreds of people who do challenge rides, I'd be surprised if none of them think "I want to do more of this for fun".

citoyen

« Reply #744 on: 13 May, 2011, 05:25:14 pm »
I mentioned to some of my colleagues that I'm doing a 400 this weekend and they assumed I would be finishing it some time towards the end of next week.

That's about right, isn't it? ;)

At current levels of fitness… yes, very likely.

d.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #745 on: 13 May, 2011, 05:30:17 pm »

My BP permanent version of the End to End has a time limit of 21 days.  It is validated by Audax UK.

my grand daughter wants to do E2E & 21 days would suit her well methinks.Doing it as an audx ride would add "something" extra to the ride.
Where can I find more info?
TIA

« Reply #746 on: 13 May, 2011, 05:32:35 pm »

My BP permanent version of the End to End has a time limit of 21 days.  It is validated by Audax UK.

my grand daughter wants to do E2E & 21 days would suit her well methinks.Doing it as an audx ride would add "something" extra to the ride.
Where can I find more info?
TIA

End to End Perm details page on Audax UK website has a link to a site with more info...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #747 on: 13 May, 2011, 05:34:09 pm »
Thanks for that :thumbsup:

« Reply #748 on: 13 May, 2011, 05:35:19 pm »
Or you could click on the WWW link in Billy's profile :)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #749 on: 13 May, 2011, 05:46:57 pm »
^^^^^
oh that's clever innit 8)

& very informative.

I wish I were IT savvy  ::-)

thanks Deano