Author Topic: Islabikes to end production  (Read 2775 times)

Re: Islabikes to end production
« Reply #1 on: 26 October, 2023, 04:24:11 pm »
That's a bit sad and says a lot about the general industry.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2 on: 26 October, 2023, 04:28:39 pm »
Their children's bikes were very nice, I think they were their speciality.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 26 October, 2023, 04:34:39 pm »
IIRC Islabikes started out only making children's bikes, and the adult bikes came later when they realised that smaller adults were buying the larger models because they'd actually fit properly.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #4 on: 26 October, 2023, 04:50:12 pm »
Well that's a shame.  My nephew's non-isla balance bike is hugely better than what I had until I was ten years older than him though, so she's made an impact in making other children's bike manufacturers up their game.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #5 on: 26 October, 2023, 04:51:40 pm »
The article doesn't say the brand isn't viable (in fact it emphasises it is).  If neither of them want to carry it on why not sell the brand and let someone else carry it on?
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 26 October, 2023, 04:52:37 pm »
The article doesn't say the brand isn't viable (in fact it emphasises it is).  If neither of them want to carry it on why not sell the brand and let someone else carry it on?

Because this way you prevent it getting enshittified?  I can see why you might want to do that, if it had your name on it.

Regulator

« Reply #7 on: 26 October, 2023, 04:53:54 pm »

Because this way you prevent it getting enshittified?  I can see why you might want to do that, if it had your name on it.

You could retain a stake but let someone else do the work.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #8 on: 26 October, 2023, 05:19:31 pm »

A couple of years after the MBO they're throwing the towel in, do you think they'd be doing so if in it's present form it was a viable business?

« Reply #9 on: 26 October, 2023, 05:19:55 pm »

She's already done that.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #10 on: 26 October, 2023, 05:27:47 pm »
I think it's a real shame, their innovation wasn't restricted to kids bikes, they were also pioneering a different model of ownership and styles of bikes aimed at those not well catered for elsewhere.  Plus, having had the pleasure of hearing Isla Rowntree speak, at a CTC event, I think the the company was a force for good in the cycle industry.

Regulator

« Reply #11 on: 26 October, 2023, 05:39:38 pm »

A couple of years after the MBO they're throwing the towel in, do you think they'd be doing so if in it's present form it was a viable business?

As the article quotes the company, are you suggesting they’re being misleading?

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #12 on: 26 October, 2023, 06:42:19 pm »
IIRC Islabikes started out only making children's bikes, and the adult bikes came later when they realised that smaller adults were buying the larger models because they'd actually fit properly.

They started by producing trailer-bikes back in the mid 90s. Isla Rowntree used to ride the Mildenhall grass track some years.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #13 on: 26 October, 2023, 06:43:10 pm »

As the article quotes the company, are you suggesting they’re being misleading?
What are you on about?
The article says the company is "solvent and has no outstanding creditors"
There's loads of ways to test a business's viability, just google it, solvency and lack of creditors isn't enough.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #14 on: 26 October, 2023, 06:59:54 pm »
Bust usually follows boom.  The cycle industry was unable to meet demand in 2020 and lost sales.  Now everyone is back in their cars or at the gym.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #15 on: 26 October, 2023, 07:10:17 pm »
Islabikes was the only one doing what she did when she started.
The rest of the industry has now discovered this market segment - lightweight proportionally designed bikes for small people - and moved in. Specialized do an alu children's hybrid bike with 20inch wheels and proportionally sized cranks and brake levers, for instance. Frog does a range that covers the smaller Islabikes. Like she says, she changed the industry. But it's going to be increasingly difficult to sell a £500 product when your competitor is selling a £400 product of the same spec.
I guess part of the story is the proliferation of alu as a frame building material, and the Taiwanese factories having tooled up to produce alu frames at massive scale and at low cost. Two decades ago 'affordable' meant gas pipe steel frame (too heavy for a child to handle) and so that's what the big brands offered. Now affordable means alu frame on everything but your Halfords clunkers. 

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #16 on: 26 October, 2023, 07:20:35 pm »

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #17 on: 26 October, 2023, 07:29:15 pm »
Sad news - I think I've bought (and sold) about 10 or 11 (and still have 4) Islabikes that my grandchildren have had and grown out of.

Part of the problem with the bikes is they are so good that they  a) are bought by people that know about bikes;  b) they hold their price in the secondhand market; c) are a pleasure to ride for children, and  d) don't fall apart like the "supermarket brand" bikes -  none of which bodes well for the manufacture and sales of new machines.

« Reply #18 on: 26 October, 2023, 07:45:16 pm »
I may be reading toooo much into what is said in the article, but I think Isla is an idealist who has achieved what she set out to change and has reached the point where she can decide to retire from business.
In the 90s she produced trailer-bikes because they were a great cycling idea, that were no longer produced. Once other companies produced more affordable versions, her job was done and she moved her attention to producing more appropriate childrens bikes as virtually all available were miniature BSOs with adult components (or nasty plastic or cheap steel components). If the big companies are following her lead again then Islabikes do not need to exist anymore other than to provide spares for the bikes they have produced, which is what the article says she (or the person who took over) is doing.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19 on: 26 October, 2023, 07:54:50 pm »
I may be reading toooo much into what is said in the article, but I think Isla is an idealist who has achieved what she set out to change and has reached the point where she can decide to retire from business.
In the 90s she produced trailer-bikes because they were a great cycling idea, that were no longer produced. Once other companies produced more affordable versions, her job was done and she moved her attention to producing more appropriate childrens bikes as virtually all available were miniature BSOs with adult components (or nasty plastic or cheap steel components). If the big companies are following her lead again then Islabikes do not need to exist anymore other than to provide spares for the bikes they have produced, which is what the article says she (or the person who took over) is doing.

Some of that influence showing here:  https://youtu.be/a6j3rxE3q9A

« Reply #20 on: 26 October, 2023, 08:11:04 pm »

Some of that influence showing here:  https://youtu.be/a6j3rxE3q9A

Filling the gap left by KMX? I can’t see other companies joining them.

My grandsons ride KMX recumbent trikes: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0e9PdCBMtE&pp=ygULS214IGVsbGlvdHQ%3D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21 on: 26 October, 2023, 08:21:42 pm »
I'm not sure KMX ever really touched the gap for something lightweight with decent components.  Their trikes were always at the gaspipe end of the spectrum, as befits the sort of hooning around they were intended for.

I'm betting this will be like the ICE Full Fat:  They'll expect to sell a couple of dozen, and have to scale up production due to latent demand.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22 on: 26 October, 2023, 09:05:08 pm »
Sad news. But business gives and takes, and she has, as already noted, changed the industry.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #23 on: 26 October, 2023, 09:36:46 pm »
But it's going to be increasingly difficult to sell a £500 product when your competitor is selling a £400 product of the same spec.
They could certainly price in a bit of brand loyalty from people whose children started on their balance bikes. We've had a number of second-hand Islabikes but the bigger ones aren't so easy to find; my Beloved Stoker is e'en now wondering how many years of future growth we should stock up for in their sale, while we can.
Not especially helpful or mature

« Reply #24 on: 27 October, 2023, 02:41:25 am »
Islabikes was the only one doing what she did when she started. So bigger brands sell a comparable product at lower prices. The rest of the industry has discovered this market segment - lightweight proportionally designed bikes for small people - and moved in. Specialized do an alu children's hybrid bike with 20inch wheels and proportionally sized cranks and brake levers, for instance. Frog does a range that covers the smaller Islabikes. Like she says, she changed the industry. But it's going to be increasingly difficult to sell a £500 product when your competitor is selling a £400 product of the same spec.

I guess part of the story is the proliferation of alu as a frame building material, and the Taiwanese factories having tooled up to produce alu frames at massive scale and at low cost. Two decades ago 'affordable' meant gas pipe steel frame (too heavy for a child to handle) and so that's what the big brands offered. Now affordable means alu frame on everything but your Halfords clunkers.

Ah Taiwan, alright until the Chinese decide the time is right to firmly stake their claim, that will firmly set the cat amongst the cycle world pigeons
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.