Author Topic: Vacuum Cleaners  (Read 12740 times)

AndyK

Re: Vacuum Cleaners
« Reply #25 on: 17 September, 2012, 07:26:32 pm »
I bought a VAX121 in 1993 and it's still going strong.

Edit: Just googled Henry vacuum cleaners and it's just like a VAX121 :thumbsup:

The first Numatic Henry was made in 1981, Numatic have been building vacuum cleaners since 1969. So I think you'll find a Vax is just like a Henry.  ;)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #26 on: 17 September, 2012, 08:00:45 pm »
Firstly, as VB says, filtration. The secrets which go into vac bag design are up there with tea bag design and what they keep in and what they let through - and, needless to say are closely guarded.

The great thing about bagged hoovers, apart from not covering yourself in the dust you've just hoovered up when you come to empty them, is that you automagically get a new filter every time.  That the bottom half of the cyclone thingy can't fall out and require you to climb halfway into a wheelie bin to retrieve it is just a bonus.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #27 on: 17 September, 2012, 08:02:05 pm »
Bought a little pull-a-long vacuum for the cottage we borrow in the summer. Earplugs required when using it. It would drown out the sound of a pair of Tornados doing a close pass.
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #28 on: 17 September, 2012, 08:04:44 pm »
I've yet to meet a hoover that could wake a sleeping barakta, thobut.  No, not even the Kirby.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #29 on: 17 September, 2012, 08:22:23 pm »
I've yet to meet a hoover that could wake a sleeping barakta, thobut.  No, not even the Kirby.

Kirby's you say?  **shudder**. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZhpVJqElGY&t=3m

:o

ian

« Reply #30 on: 17 September, 2012, 08:32:39 pm »
We have two Dysons – and upright and a little 'un – they're both quite old. Bits have fallen off the smaller of the two, but Dyson have always replaced them without quibble. I will say the larger of the two is too big and noisy for my liking, and as I live in a tall spindly house, it's a bit of a pain (I was swayed by SPECIAL OFFER), but the little one (DC05, but I'm not going to the cupboard to check) is fine.

That said, I only hoover when there is cat- or wife-created destruction to clear, the cleaner does the weekly vacuum. She insists on using her own Henry. It does an OK job (otherwise I'd fire her, of course), but isn't a patch on the Dysons, what with the wife and cats shedding hair and fur everywhere. I generally, when my wife isn't looking, use the Dyson directly on the cats.

I think general opinion has it that Miele are the best. To be honest, I've found anything German to be effectively unbeatable (Miele, Bosch, Siemens - welcome to my kitchen). On the basis of their invincible appliances, how the Germans fucked up two world wars is beyond me.

« Reply #31 on: 17 September, 2012, 08:36:13 pm »
... what with the wife and cats shedding hair and fur everywhere. .....

Which is shedding which?
Enquiring minds need to etc.....

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #32 on: 17 September, 2012, 08:52:08 pm »
Kirby's you say?  **shudder**. 

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8ZhpVJqElGY&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/8ZhpVJqElGY&rel=1</a>

:o

That's a good illustration of why I now wear a buff when hoovering the stairs.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #33 on: 17 September, 2012, 09:00:26 pm »
the cleaner does the weekly vacuum. [...] does an OK job (otherwise I'd fire her, of course)

Well, quite.   We fire one of our staff from time to time, to keep the others in line.

wife [...] shedding hair [...] everywhere

One of my routine maintenance tasks in the unpleasant task of un-blocking of the shower trap, which is filled with human hairballs composed of long hairs.   And it's suggested that perhaps I am to blame!   My hairline suggests not :-)

New vacuum cleaner - Sebo?
« Reply #34 on: 09 April, 2014, 06:49:33 pm »
Anyone got any experience of Sebo vacuums?  We're thinking about buying the X4 Pet to replace out deceased Dyson.

TIA.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: New vacuum cleaner - Sebo?
« Reply #35 on: 09 April, 2014, 07:10:53 pm »
Well, well.  I was just about to start a recomend me a vacuum cleaner thread.
We have Dysons in both locations.  They are both absolutely hopeless.  Particularly the one in Brum.  I will never buy a Dyson again. 
I await comments on this thread with interest.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #36 on: 09 April, 2014, 07:15:33 pm »
My Miele S2111 cylinder vac is the best I've ever had. Reasonably priced for a Miele too.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #37 on: 09 April, 2014, 07:45:27 pm »
There's a reason hotels, offices, and builders use Henrys or others from the Numatic range.

Not the most sophisticated, probably not the *most* effective but effective enough, can be used bagless or with bags, more or less indestructible, sensible length hose and power cord, not overly expensive, and spares are available.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #38 on: 09 April, 2014, 07:50:01 pm »

red marley

« Reply #40 on: 09 April, 2014, 09:32:53 pm »
And Yet Another Vacuum Forum post -

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=63272.0

This is what I said about my Sebo last time:

I had a long conversation with the owner of the Clapton Vac Centre who knows more about vacuum cleaners than a human being really ought to.

He said he makes a tidy packet repairing Dysons but in all conscience couldn't sell one to anyone for precisely that reason. He recommended Sebo as a make. They are generally used by commercial cleaners but do domestic sales too. I've had my Sebo for about a year or so now. Not too pricy, very reliable, light (for its power) and importantly for me, quiet.

18 months later it remains quiet, reliable and unfortunately for the man at the Clapton Vac Centre, without the need for any repairs.

« Reply #41 on: 10 April, 2014, 01:36:18 pm »
We have a Sebo.  It is about 7 or 8 years old now and has been faultless.  It was recommended to us by John Lewis.  It is what is used in the shop by the cleaners.  Nuff said.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.

« Reply #42 on: 10 April, 2014, 02:13:45 pm »
Funnily enough I noticed Sebos in use in the Premier Inn this morning.

I have a Dyson. Its been fine. Excellent suction but I don't know if its competitors can match that

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #43 on: 10 April, 2014, 02:38:14 pm »
We have a Philips Dyson-a-like.

Its like a Dyson in that there is a special chamber to make the dirt dizzy. Its unlike a Dyson in that is has a BFO cylinder filter and a brush for the cleaning of.

Seems to have lots of suck, but emptying and cleaning the filter should be done outside in a high wind. Oh and the exhaust acts as an efficient fan heater.

Wouldn't recommend.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

ian

« Reply #44 on: 10 April, 2014, 02:56:57 pm »
Our cleaner uses one of those Henry things. It doesn't seem to pull up the cat fuzz nearly as good as the Dyson that I sometimes feel the urge to pilot around the living room (usually because I've had a fight with a plant pot, tripped over the cat while carrying something, etc.)

I'd agree though that Dysons break if you so much as look them askance.

« Reply #45 on: 10 April, 2014, 09:28:54 pm »
A small Sebo here,  bought I think on a recommendation from someone on the forum.    My copious body hair hasn't clogged it yet  :thumbsup:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #46 on: 11 April, 2014, 03:20:17 am »
Fox F50 for me. Its loud, its powerful, its big, it'll suck up water, and power your power tools while giving you filtration down to 0.5 microns which is good enough for MDF dust.

Might not be that suitable for a home though.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #47 on: 11 April, 2014, 07:37:37 pm »
I'm still loving the Kirby G6, if not the company that made it (whatever you do, don't buy one from them).

It's an industrial tank of a beast, with a casing made from a mixture of adamantium and depleted Sun monitors and a Rolls Royce Trent engine for a motor (ear protection advisable for prolonged use, and it's best to hoover left to right so that loose dust doesn't get caught in the jet exhaust).  The powered wheels aren't a gimmick - they're necessary to get it moving because at some settings the suction holds it against the floor that hard (while the cunningly weighted roller beats all hell out of the carpet).

Regulars to the fettling thread will recall that I literally made the bed last winter.  As well as doing sander dust-extraction duty without batting an eyelid, it was happy to nom the wood shavings off the living room carpet.  And I don't mean sawdust - I mean those lovely curls of wood you get when you're overenthusiastic with a plane, as well as the splintery detritus from my inept mortice joints.  It ate it all without problems, though I did eventually have to change the bag.  The very idea of attempting that with a Dyson just makes me giggle.  It also does a respectable job on LED legs, offcuts of 24 gauge wire insulation and the inevitable flecks of solder that tend to go everywhere.  Obviously it can't suck up wire that's more than about an inch long or thoroughly entangled in the carpet, but it does 90% of the work, again without blockage.

Like any traditional upright, it's still a pain in the arse for the stairs, but it makes up for that by collecting all the long hair on the roller without impaired function, and being reasonably straightforward to de-hair (no tools required).

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #48 on: 24 April, 2014, 06:40:12 pm »
Miele Cat & Dog. It's the dog's bollocks, and the cat's pajamas.

A new vacuum cleaner is required.
« Reply #49 on: 20 December, 2015, 05:49:50 pm »
After a couple of decades of service the Electrolux Mondo has expired.   We want a basic, powerful sucking machine without unnecessary baubles and gizmos but of decent quality.   The cylinder type is preferred.

And, is there a benefit to having bagless?

Recommendations sought please.