Author Topic: The Dean  (Read 101014 times)

Re: The Dean
« Reply #350 on: 15 March, 2019, 04:14:30 pm »
Thinking I might play it safe and DNS
I've spent all week hoping this would be a goer after DNSing last year.
The 40mph winds around Swindon for a few hours in the middle of the day are now concerning me a little, last weekend was pretty dodgy and they were 'only' 20mph

« Reply #351 on: 15 March, 2019, 04:26:45 pm »

« Reply #352 on: 15 March, 2019, 04:42:19 pm »
How much can a koala bear?

How much can a koala bear?

« Reply #355 on: 15 March, 2019, 05:03:13 pm »
40kph but likely to be gusting to 60

« Reply #356 on: 15 March, 2019, 05:15:09 pm »
This is what The Dean is all about.

I'm looking at it, thinking..........well.........
Garry Broad

« Reply #357 on: 15 March, 2019, 07:30:27 pm »
What's all this talk of DNS-ing? Looks like a nice day out (lots of shelter in the FoD)!

« Reply #358 on: 15 March, 2019, 08:16:24 pm »
What's all this talk of DNS-ing? Looks like a nice day out (lots of shelter in the FoD)!

Less so on the bridge!  ::-)

« Reply #359 on: 15 March, 2019, 08:28:37 pm »

Just smile and think of 2008  :P

« Reply #360 on: 15 March, 2019, 08:37:42 pm »
I'd be up for coping with the headwind, but the bridge is terrifying me. I walked most of it last year in high wind, but I don't think it was this strong. Anyone remember wind speeds last year?

« Reply #361 on: 15 March, 2019, 08:40:54 pm »
looking at facebook, i'm not the only person who has plotted the alternative route to go back to Gloucester & down to malmesbury (it adds 36km, but if it's 40mph + gusts I may buy that over a bridge crossing (I was almost blown off on my last ride over there = the last section was indeed terrifying)

« Reply #362 on: 15 March, 2019, 08:47:35 pm »
The wind snapped my helmet visor on the bridge once, but then it might not have happened but for the helmet cover.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #363 on: 15 March, 2019, 08:55:00 pm »

Just smile and think of 2008  :P
I was going to mention 2008; were you both on that? I thought it was before Bobby's time ;)

The bridge wasn't toooo bad that time [I think I put my hat in my pocket early on]. The highlight was walking up Hackpen at the same speed as SimonP was riding in his twiddle gear - the wind had picked up by then. And it was dark, which seems to make my balance worse.

I don't see the bridge as an issue - the locals walk to Aust and back, so it can't take long ;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #364 on: 15 March, 2019, 09:02:57 pm »
I think 2013 was my first... worst I had was the snow year (I rode it as a diy in a blizzard a few days before the calendar event when only 2 people started) - type2 fun

« Reply #365 on: 15 March, 2019, 09:17:23 pm »
I didn't do 2008 but 2015 was pretty windy, I recall. I don't think it will be wise than that.
I lost my sunglasses on the bridge but other than that it was fine.
my main issue is that I've just packed up the car and was about to set off, and battery was flat! Hoping an hour on the charger will sort it out...

simonp

« Reply #366 on: 15 March, 2019, 09:23:44 pm »
2008 was awful. That year it was a BR with a 14.3kph minimum. I was having a slow day anyway and would have been out of time if not for the slower minimum.

I’m glad I’m not riding tomorrow. Bon courage to everyone who is.

« Reply #367 on: 15 March, 2019, 09:53:21 pm »
I think 2013 was my first... worst I had was the snow year (I rode it as a diy in a blizzard a few days before the calendar event when only 2 people started) - type2 fun
Three started, one abandoned on the way to Stow. The snow was replaced by floods the further west you got.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #368 on: 16 March, 2019, 12:10:20 pm »
Well, made it to newent, it’s a bit blowy out there...

« Reply #369 on: 16 March, 2019, 03:48:53 pm »
I decided to turn back when I got to the flat section after Cleve Hill.  Heart wasn't in it as I don't need it as a PBP qualifier, and I didn't fancy being out if it got even windier, plus rain and dark, for the last section.  I was going to go to Newent and turn back but, when I got to the flat section and it was too windy to ride on aerobars, I thought there was no point. 

It was interesting doing a section of the route backwards.  The climb back up to Cleve Hill is really steep, maybe 20%.  Winchcombe Hill is also pretty steep, and I got blown off going back up there. 

Quite a lot of the descents felt uncomfortable, especially when the wind was from the side, as it was for much of the Cotswolds. 

« Reply #370 on: 16 March, 2019, 06:15:08 pm »
Me and a friend bailed halfway between Stow and Newent after some sketchy descents and actually getting blown off the road twice - rode to Gloucester to get the train home!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #371 on: 16 March, 2019, 06:47:39 pm »
I have ridden down it a couple of times at the end of the clockwise version of the Poor Student and I don't remember it being too bad.  That would have been at 1800ish.  You obviously have to be cautious on the roundabouts.

Another option is to go to Stow via Bampton if it is the 'right' sort of info control  ;)
<waves at Jon - nice to meet you this morning, hope you get round oK!>

Fun fact - if you use the "JonBuoy Manouevre" i.e. collect the Bampton info on the way to Stow (instead of the "correct" order), Google gives the route as exactly 300km!
n.b. this assumes a Peartree finish - if you finish in central Oxford you'll be underdistance  :o

(google also sends you down a section of the A420 at the end, which is probably OK >7pm )

As it's a few years since my last Dean, I am seriously considering arranging a group perm for this summer sometime. Maybe in July when peeps are between qualifiers and The French Ride?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #372 on: 16 March, 2019, 11:50:34 pm »
I have ridden down it a couple of times at the end of the clockwise version of the Poor Student and I don't remember it being too bad.  That would have been at 1800ish.  You obviously have to be cautious on the roundabouts.

Another option is to go to Stow via Bampton if it is the 'right' sort of info control  ;)
<waves at Jon - nice to meet you this morning, hope you get round oK!>

Fun fact - if you use the "JonBuoy Manouevre" i.e. collect the Bampton info on the way to Stow (instead of the "correct" order), Google gives the route as exactly 300km!
n.b. this assumes a Peartree finish - if you finish in central Oxford you'll be underdistance  :o

(google also sends you down a section of the A420 at the end, which is probably OK >7pm )

As it's a few years since my last Dean, I am seriously considering arranging a group perm for this summer sometime. Maybe in July when peeps are between qualifiers and The French Ride?

I did the rough Diamond and today no shame should be felt for bailing at all ! It was vicious out there but the Diamond was less climbing and less trick climbs !

« Reply #373 on: 17 March, 2019, 08:17:44 am »
I hope a few mins over at intermediate controls isn’t a problem? :(

I found getting round to Chepstow extremely hard with that wind, the bridge crossing was terrifying, Von broad rode past me at a crazy angle whilst I walked the last bit of it.  After Chepstow it rained for about 8 hours, then the sky cleared & it got cold... there were a number of us bouncing along at or slightly over the control times, but once past the hills the wind died down I got my head down, avoided the bits slightly flooded I rolled into oxford with 45mins to spare.

Never have regretted riding to the start as much as that, turning south into a slight wind to plod home was miserable!

Right now i’d Class it as type 2 fun, probably the hardest 300 i’ve Done - over distance and lack of miles this year don’t help, but boy, that wind!  I took it very easy when it was a cross wind, and had long stretches on the flat in 2nd gear unable to do more  :facepalm:

Hope everyone stayed safe, bumped into a number that bailed, congrats to all that tried at all

Phil W

« Reply #374 on: 17 March, 2019, 08:35:08 am »
Bobby you will probably find the clocks where you got receipts were running a bit fast. Sure it won't be a problem.  Well those winds were brutal.