Author Topic: So, what's your audax kit/setup?  (Read 72187 times)

So, what's your audax kit/setup?
« on: 21 March, 2011, 03:30:02 pm »
I'm starting out in the world of audax and looking to get off my lazy ass and enter some events. It would be helpful if people could share some experience of their kit/setup of choice over differing event distances so it will give me an idea of anything I need to get that I don't have already.

Here's what I have so far:
Specialized Allez Elite with michelin pro race 3 tyres (23mm) and Keo pedals - I'll be buying a Specialized Tricross in August which will probabaly become my winter/audax/all round bike.
Garmin Edge 305.
LED P7 front light (plus spare batteries) and a smart "commuter" front and rear light.
Small saddlebag with the usual levers, tubes etc.

I'm yet to pick up a luggage system.  I got a good price on a Carradice Super C saddlebag through Wiggle but ended up cancelling it as they messed me around so much with delivery dates. I'm now torn between a carradice and a Topeak RX beam post system.
I'm more looking for ideas for 200km+ rides as I think i've got things covered up to that distance.
Check out my blog: Aspiring Rouleur
Twitter: DKNWHY

border-rider

Re: So, what's your audax kit/setup?
« Reply #1 on: 21 March, 2011, 03:37:39 pm »
You'll see all sorts on the longer events, from skinny-tyred lightweights with minimal carried stuff through to kitchen-sink tourers with panniers.

It's really a case of whatever works for you.  I'd go for a lightweight waterproof rather than a weighty one, and rely on keeping moving to keep warm.  Some sort of mudguard system is nice for early season/wet rides for reasons of comfort, but not needed on dry days of course.

Billy Weir

« Reply #2 on: 21 March, 2011, 03:40:07 pm »
How big is the + in 200km+?

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 21 March, 2011, 03:40:55 pm »
I've not ridden an audax in over a year (and of any bike discipline I know, Audax is *so* not about the bike) but FWIW, here's me.

Roberts Custom Compact Audax with 25c Armadildos, Brooks, 'guards and a several of Mr Campagnolo's finest gears
...or...
Mercian Vincitore Special fixed, 19x48, 28c Marathons

Plus:

• Carradice saddlebag (Barley or SQR Tour)
  • SON dynohub / IQ Cyo / Smart 0.5w
  • Garmin eTrex Legend HCx
  • Zefal HPX / tubes / tools
  • Goretex jacket
  • SPD sandals / Time ATACs
  • Extra clothing as appropriate
  • Phone, knife, keys, cash, cards
  • Road ID
  • Flapjack
  • Drugs
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #4 on: 21 March, 2011, 04:05:17 pm »
Steel Thorn
28mm tyres - currently GP4 seasons.
Carradice Barley on Bagman support with spares, bonk rations, phone, cards and cash.
Brooks
No GPS.
SON Dynohub and IQ Cyo light + LED, and LED Astriums at the rear.
SPDs with shimano shoes October to May; sandals the rest of the year.
Montane Velo for late Spring to late Autumn; Paramo the rest.

That's the bike and kit for all rides from 100km through to 1400km, with only a few extras (change of shorts, mitts, jersey, possibly a lightweight sleeping bag liner, basic first aid kit, bum and sun cream) for the longer ones stuffed into the Barley, and maybe a spare tyre (or two if you count the one round my waist) if the on-bike ones have a bit of wear

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #5 on: 21 March, 2011, 04:09:40 pm »
I'm starting out in the world of audax and looking to get off my lazy ass and enter some events. It would be helpful if people could share some experience of their kit/setup of choice over differing event distances so it will give me an idea of anything I need to get that I don't have already.

All distances: optimism, a cheery grin, some cash to get a cup of tea, bike

100km ... some glueless patches and a co2 inflator.  Water.
200km ...as above + some more tools, bike with mud guards is nice to have.  Probably a water proof coat too.  Probably need a saddle pack to carry the stuff in.  Some snack food.  2 tubes.  Sun Creme
300km ...as above + lights to see with + night time clothes +  Electrolytes to go in the water.  Bigger saddle bag
400km ...as above + cheese sandwich + caffeine tablets + arse creme + clothes for any conditions.  Usually gilet+ss jersey+arm warmers+leg warmers+ss base+coat+water proof long finger gloves+mitts works.  If it's cold add a head band and scarf.  If it's wet add spare socks and overshoes.
600km ...as above + spare shorts for day #1.  Maybe a sleeping bag liner or bivvi bag

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6 on: 21 March, 2011, 04:10:37 pm »
which will probabaly become my winter/audax/all round bike.
I'm yet to pick up a luggage system. 
Get a rack, and a big rack-pack for the longer Audaxes.

You can then use panniers either for riding to/from certain events, carrying a tent, fetching the shopping ... etc ...etc ...

rack+bag weight is almost identical to saddlebags+supports of the same capacity
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #7 on: 21 March, 2011, 04:14:00 pm »
Not sure I'd go for Keo pedals and cleats, rather SPDs and more comfortable shoes. I've got Keos on my road bike which are fine, but you'll be spending more time on your feet at controls with more opportunities to end up A over T, especially after 10 hours in the saddle when you're knackered already and can do without slipping around everywhere.
Mojo is being awakened.

Billy Weir

« Reply #8 on: 21 March, 2011, 04:24:42 pm »
The usual.  Probably more useful if I point out the main bits that might differ and why I use them.

1) 25mm Schwalbe Marathons in summer as they roll fast and Marathon Plus in winter for puncture protection
2) SON front hub with IQ Cyo.  Simply the best lighting combination for overnight riding that I have come across to date
3) Shimano down tube shifters (rather than ergolevers) for ease of maintainance
4) MTB front and rear derailleurs (Deore LX from memory) for durability.  Long derailleur arm on rear to cope with...
5) Stonglight Impact triple compact touring chainset (24/36/48 from memory) + Ultegra 12-29 cog for wide gear range
6) Selle San Marco saddle for comfort (although I do use Brooks on my fixie)
7) Rack with Carradice rack top bag, for flexibility (rack can take panniers on self supported/basic 1000km+ rides)
8] Hope hubs on Mavic Open Pro rims, with 28 spokes on front and 32 on back, for durability and servicability
9) Etrex legend for battery life and basic functionality
10) Shimano SPDs but with touring platform pedals, for comfort

« Reply #9 on: 21 March, 2011, 04:33:59 pm »
Bike:-
a) Condor Tempo fixed wheel - 46x18 = 67" (with 25mm tyres) - usual bike for Audaxing
b) Aravis Audax - Centaur triple - only comes out for very hilly rides (in bad weather)
c) Wilier Izoard - Centaur compact double - for very hilly rides (in good weather)

25mm GP 4 Seasons
SON dynohub front wheel (built into Mavic Open Pro or Ambrosio Excellight SSC rim)
Solidlights 1203D (upgraded to XB2 LEDs) - would replace with B&M Cyo if I had to
SPD pedals and Spesh BG Pro MTB shoes (nice stiff carbon sole plus plastic mouldings to make it easier to walk in than road shoes)
Brooks Swallow (Ti) but arse conditioned to sit on anything really

Luggage depends on ride length and how much stuff I want to carry:-

small: Topeak Aero Wedge Large. (5L)
medium: Carradice Barley (8L)
large: Creek2Peak rack pack (15L expanding to 22L)

Only the Tempo and Aravis have racks on them, so the Wilier gets stuck with the Barley at the most (to be fair, this is easily enough space for a 600km Audax and I tend to carry more stuff than most).

Topeak Tri-bag (with rain cover) just behind the stem, useful for holding phone, wallet, brevet card, nibbles.

GPS: Edge 705 with Portapow battery pack to keep it going on longer rides. This sits in the Tri-bag to keep the cable run short.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #10 on: 21 March, 2011, 04:34:27 pm »
It depends on the weather & how long your out there for 200k & 300k just a topeak seat pack with the usual stuff.  400k + I would take the following, again depending on distance & weather:

Bike: Summer - Giant TCR2, ultegra triple + 16-27 cassette, mavic ksyrium ssc sl wheels & 23mm pro3 tyres.  Winter - Giant Defy4, 8 speed + compact, mavic askium race wheels & 23mm pro3 tyres + full mudguards.
Bag: Carradice Nelson saddlebag.
Lights: Rear - Raleigh astrium + a Cateye TL-SL100 as a back up.
Front - Cateye HL-EL530 & Exposure joystick maxx + a 3 cell piggyback for multi day rides.
Gps: Garmin eTrex Legend HCx + a routesheet.
Clothing: Arm & leg warmers, long finger gloves, waterproof jacket, gilet & overshoes + 1 change of clothes & a clean pair of socks for each day.
Tools: pump, 3 spare inner tubes + park glueless patches & tyre boots, multi tool & some spare chain links & spare tyre.
Other stuff: lock, cash, card, phone, electrolite tablets, energy gel & bar 1 of each for however many days I'm out, Vitamin I (Ibuprofen), Chamois creme, Sudocreme & Vaseline, toothbrush & paste + shower gel for multi days.

I'm gonna save this as a kit list now although I'm pretty sure I've missed something.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #11 on: 21 March, 2011, 04:35:22 pm »
i've cycled 476km including 200k audax last weekend on this setup. 1l saddlebag, 2l bumbag and jersey pockets provided ample storage space for dry weather weekend's touring with temperatures ranging from freezing to about +12 degrees celsius. for long, cold and wet rides i've got super c barley saddle bag, but i haven't used it extensively. the bike is primarily a commuter, but also built with shorter audaxes (200-400k) in mind. carefully selected gear range, powerful brakes, p-resistant tyres, comfy saddle and handlebars mean i can spend the whole day riding without major discomfort. for navigation - garmin etrex vista hcx, for lighting - b&m ixon iq. the bike is quite heavy at 14kg unladen, but i don't view it as an issue.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #12 on: 21 March, 2011, 04:38:55 pm »
Specialized Allez f+f, (originally an Allez Sport, upgraded to roughly Allez Comp level.  50-34 on the front and 12-25 on the back.)
Vittoria Rubino Pro 23mm tyres.  Tough, grippy, fast enough for me and not expensive.
Specialized Avatar 143 saddle
Little saddlebag with tools or Ortlieb Saddlebg Plus 2.7l or Carradice, depending on how much stuff I want to take.  In the summer, I reckon the Ortlieb is good up to 600km.  
Fenix L2D torch on the front, plus Smart 1W LED backup.  Something red and blinky on the back.
Topeak Mini Morph pump.  I'd probably buy a slightly smaller pump if I was buying again, I bought this for a group tour so I wanted something decent.
Garmin Etrex Legend HCX mounted on my stem, otherwise a Cateye computer on my stem and a routesheet strapped to my arm. 

« Reply #13 on: 21 March, 2011, 08:05:59 pm »
Winter conditions: 25mm durano plus tyres, mudguards, and a bike which happens to be steel but could just as well be aluminium, but the key thing being that I dont care if it gets covered in shit.

Spring/Summer/Autumn for all distances:  Trek 5500 carbon race frame with beefier forks, 23mm Pro race tyres (or Krylions, Crud race guards, garmin 705 (with external battery in tri-feed bag for 400+k rides), 50/34 chainset. Pump: Topeak Road Morphe.  Handbuilt wheels: Campag Record on Open Pro (Posh factory wheels like high-end Kysriums are much much better, but once they break they aren't always fixable)

Luggage for both of them is an Altura seatpost pack:

Altura Arran Expanding Cycling Post Pack Saddle Bag ONLY £32.99 [ ALARREXP ] - Discount Cycles Direct - Best Prices, Great Service

I find I can carry more than enough for a 600k in it.  I wouldn't go back to a rack and rack top bag.  The altura uses a click-fix mount so is instantly removable at controls.

Then, for fine weather 200k rides or the odd 300k I'll take my pure race-oriented Look 585, with Dura-ace. F'king brilliant fun.

The Trek is great for audax. Don't believe all the drongos who'll tell you that carbon race bikes aren't suitable for audax. More and more people are using them. If you were me, I'd try out your Allez with Crud raceguards and a seatpost mounted bag like the Altura (not on a carbon post though)

Far more important though is that the saddle and bars are adjusted correctly to fit you.  Easily said, but took me several years to get right.

« Reply #14 on: 21 March, 2011, 08:33:47 pm »
I've recently removed the racks and gone back to saddlebags: A Carradice Barley (if that's the smallish one with side pockets ) for audax.  Frames are big enough that I don't need a bag support.

1) Ti Omega, custom frame, Campag 9-speed mixed with triple TA and stuff. 25mm Gatorskins or Pasela.

2) Holdsworth 1960s frame, nothing special, pencil stays, upgraded with various brazings and new forks (around 1990). Fixed-wheel. Tyres as above.

3) Gazelle 80s road-race frame, exhibition special with chrome ends. Built with whatever was in the shed. Only used up to 200km. Campag 9-speed double. 23mm tyres.

4) Airnimal Joey. Still with a rack. Occasional use for BPs.

« Reply #15 on: 21 March, 2011, 08:50:15 pm »
Bianchi Cameleonte alu/carbon w/triple for hills and >200km
Phillips fixed (68")
Falcon fixed (63" or 74" depending on the punishment schedule)
Giant OCR for fast flat rides

I have marathons on the back of all of them. Duranos on the front for the summer bikes.
The Bianchi & the falcon run a (shimano) dyno hub + cyo.
For luggage either just a wedge or a rack pack full of unneccesary stuff.

Clearly it depends on the ride. Sunday I forgot to take a pump or my purse or any choons and still survived. Other times I've taken the kitchen sink and used it.
I'm just an amateur though, I know nothing.

« Reply #16 on: 21 March, 2011, 08:54:54 pm »
What's my audax kit/setup  ?

I have audaxed on 7 different bikes. Here we go

The Black Witch
La Chignole
the shiny Dolan
the classic Eddy Merckx
the red Hewitt
my old Raleigh
my old Peugeot

just carry what i need which isn't much. You'll find out what you need once you do some events. That's the point you need to decide what you need. Lights ? battery lights, dynamo lights, incandescent lights, light emitting diode lights. Tyres ? 23mm, 25mm, 28mm.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #17 on: 21 March, 2011, 08:56:12 pm »
Bike: Pearson Touche clone, 25mm GP4Seasons Tyres, Mudguards. Times two. Though I only ride one at a time.
Bag: Carradice Tour saddlebag or Prima Saddlepack.
Lights: Rear - Raleigh astrium or Radbot500, Smart Superflash as a back up.
Front: SON Dynohub plus B&M Cyo.
Gps: Garmin eTrex Legend HCx + a routesheet.
Clothing: Some variation on: eVent Jacket, lightweight wind/raincape, Carbon Tenax bibshorts, Lusso biblongs, legwarmers, arm warmers, merino base layer, Assos Proline Airjack, Early winter gloves, lines and & over mitts, Mitts, Various long and short sleeve jerseys, Woolie Boolies socks & socks of lesser renown, Specialized MTB shoes, Pro Endure overshoes.
Tools: Topeak Pocket Rocket Dx pump, 2 spare inner tubes + Rema Tip Top repair kit, Topeak Nexus Multitool, Tyre boot, spare chain links and assorted washers.
Other stuff: Small cable lock, Small vaseline, Asprin, Ibuprofin

Alouicious

« Reply #18 on: 21 March, 2011, 09:32:12 pm »
Dawes Giro 500 with Conti Ultragatorskin 23mm.

Tiagra changers and mechs.
Suntour XTR 32/22 chainset to Tiagra nine speed 11-25 cassette.

Brooks B17 narrow.
Shimano A530 SPDs and Spesh BG MTB shoes.

SKS Full mudguards with front splash flap extension.

PRK. Wallet. Phone. Brevet card in plastic zipbag. Spare sandpaper. Teaspoon. Pen.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #19 on: 21 March, 2011, 10:29:14 pm »
The Hummercian.

Steel framed Mercian (which to be honest, is showing the odd sign of wear and tear)
Stronglight Triple 48/38/28 (although the 28 doesn't get much use)
Shimano A520 pedals (a bit borked on the left hand side)
Brooks B17 Standard (it smells bad, no really bad)
Carbon fibre seat post
SKS mudguards
Tektro long drop DP brakes
Velo Orange threadless BB  :-[
Knackered headset  :-[ :-[
Tiagra shifters (tatty)
9sp 11-25 Tiagra cassette
Long cage 105 deraillieur
SRAM chain
Tiagra front deraillieur
105 front hub (vintage - I got it 2nd hand in 2002 and a bit wobbly)
105 rear hub
Chrina rims (due for replacement soon)
Conti GP4 seasons 23mm
Bianchi 120mm stem
Some sort of handlebar (can't remember)
Raleigh LED front light
B&M IQ LED front light (glued back together after jumping off)
SMART LED rear light
Poxy front bag for phone and tools on the down tube
Barley saddle bag

H

Martin

« Reply #20 on: 21 March, 2011, 10:33:13 pm »
alloy frame
various saddles; none of them Brooks
Shimano gears varying from 52-13 to 30-26 depending on bike
23mm Vittoria Rubino tyres
lights of some description; all LED
a seat bag / small bar bag depending on distance / weather forecast

on each of the 3 bikes I regularly use

plus

whatever kit I expect to be riding in all day (if it's likely to warm up a lot this will be various layers and leg / arm warmers;  change of gloves, overshoes, see bar bag above)
Look cleat covers
2 lens shades
GPS
Cateye Velo 8
route sheet somewhere in a back pocket
no food ever
2 spare tubes and levers and a puncture outfit (used once; or rather 3 times after both tubes also punctured)
multitool
chain tool
spare AAs
phone

« Reply #21 on: 21 March, 2011, 10:48:27 pm »
I've recently removed the racks and gone back to saddlebags: A Carradice Barley (if that's the smallish one with side pockets ) for audax.  Frames are big enough that I don't need a bag support.

Recently moved from Saddlebag to a rack (Tortec Ultralight) with either a very light old pack from Topeak, or a not so light big pack from Creek2Peak for so far just a 600 and a 1600, plus a ride across most of France. I prefer the rack as I can mount panniers and they don't bounce around. Empty rack (unless I can bothered to remove it) with just a tiny saddlepack on warm days when I can get away with my lucky raincape from Disneyland Paris ca 1997 - about 50g and never needed yet - stuck in a shirt pocket.

The main use for the rack packs is to store clothing as you can start off, like Saturday below freezing, get to 13-14C and then back to near freezing all in one 200km ride.

For spares, I take a very light quite old spare tyre on long rides (400K plus) or where I'd be really screwed if one went. I carry a spare saddlepin, some chain links, a multitool with chainsplitter, ties, insulating tape and a small screw collection in case one falls off or breaks.  I stopped using stick-on patches when I was stuffed by finding I had a whole set that didnt stick. Naturally I later went out with a rubber solution tube that had completely dried. I always take 2 inner tubes and make sure I buy only long valve ones so it doesnt matter which wheels I have.

My beginner's mistake was to take lots of food. You only need enough to get you to the next shop on the route.
Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #22 on: 21 March, 2011, 11:01:00 pm »
Brooks B17 Standard (it smells bad, no really bad)
H

What kind of man sniffs his OWN saddle??? ::-)

World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

Androcles

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #23 on: 21 March, 2011, 11:37:15 pm »
Bike -

Aeron TR al frame, carbon fork
Mostly Campag Mirage transmission, 9 speed 52-42-28 x 13-26
Michelin Krylion 25mm tyres, mudguards
Basic SPD pedals
B17 saddle
Rear rack + cheapo Decathlon pannier - all contents double bagged
Shimano DH 3N80 dynohub, IQ Cyo, Toplight flat, Smart rear LED, head torch
Bar mounted routesheet holder
Cateye Enduro (wired) computer

Luggage-

Inner tubes (2-4 depending on length of ride)
Worn but serviceable folding Gatorskin
Multitool + 8mm hex key
Cable ties
Ibuprofen, Wind-Eze and Gaviscon tablets
Clothing appropriate to the ride and weather, leaving enough space in the pannier to put anything taken off.
Handful of Fruesli/NutriGrain, one pre-opened in back pocket

Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into a dream

Alouicious

« Reply #24 on: 22 March, 2011, 07:15:09 am »
Another bike.

Land Rover Tahora.

Retrofitted:
Conti Ultra Gatorskins 26 x 1.125.
Eight speed 11-25 cassette.
MTB full mudguards with front splash flap extension.
Bar-ends.

Yet another bike.

BSA "20", variant of Raleigh 20.
Sturmey Archer AW3. 46T chainwheel, 20T Sprocket.
Sturmey Archer Dynohub with OE lampset.
Rear bag.
Optional front removable wire shopping basket.