Author Topic: So who wore the ACP PBP Hi-Viz vest then?  (Read 9738 times)

Re: So who wore the ACP PBP Hi-Viz vest then?
« Reply #25 on: 28 August, 2019, 10:57:37 am »
Ordered M in 2015 (it was fine)
Ordered M in 2019 - it was about 2 cm wider than the one from 2015, so decided to use the one from 2015.

It was fine though, kept me warm during chilly evenings and mornings.

« Reply #26 on: 28 August, 2019, 12:26:23 pm »
The ACP provided vest was fine. I saw riders with other vests, often they were not as visible as the official vest and suspect they were not to the EN spec. I saw several riders with poor or non working lights with poor reflective vests, this puts riders in front of them in danger.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #27 on: 28 August, 2019, 12:44:52 pm »
I used the official gilet as it was cool enough at night for me to cope with it. Most nights I wore LS summer jersey and the gilet. One night it was cold enough for me to wear a thin wool undershirt as well.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #28 on: 28 August, 2019, 01:09:31 pm »
One night it was cold enough for me to wear a thin wool undershirt as well.

Guess which item of clothing I left behind?
I was thinning down my kit pre-departure and chose a Helly Hansen base layer over the lightweight merino. :facepalm:

« Reply #29 on: 28 August, 2019, 01:10:13 pm »
It always amazes me how poor some people's rear lights are!
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #30 on: 28 August, 2019, 01:36:50 pm »
It always amazes me how some folk like to burn out the eyes of anybody on their wheel. There were a lot of those folk at PBP.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #31 on: 28 August, 2019, 01:54:53 pm »
i wore the same kit from the start until the end - ss base layer, ss road suit, arm sleeves, hi-viz vest, mitts, socks, shoes, lycra overshoes, skull cap, helmet, photochromic sunglasses.

the only other kit i took with me was audax uk buff and a waterproof jacket. i wore both on the second night and was wishing i had something over my legs.

« Reply #32 on: 28 August, 2019, 02:03:58 pm »
It always amazes me how some folk like to burn out the eyes of anybody on their wheel. There were a lot of those folk at PBP.

Agree, there were some very poorly positioned lights as well. What amazes me is that everyone in the event must be experienced night riders but to look at some of them, it's the first time they've ever put lights on their bike. 
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #33 on: 28 August, 2019, 02:05:52 pm »
Only wore the PBP one when it got cold, my mesh style EN certified Orange one outwith the dark hours of chill.

so first night never wore it, too warm.
second night put my mesh one over it.
third and 4th nights I took a lesson from Rab C and put the PBP one over the mesh one.

« Reply #34 on: 28 August, 2019, 06:01:29 pm »

Agree, there were some very poorly positioned lights as well. What amazes me is that everyone in the event must be experienced night riders but to look at some of them, it's the first time they've ever put lights on their bike.

I wouldn't expect that. I rode 1h at night during my 600 and we could easily have skipped that, No one would have pointed me anything as there was only two of us. Barely done any group riding at night, do ride my MTB often at night but thats a whole different experience was baffled by how annoying crossing lights and tail lights can be. Until I read about it on the forum a few weeks prior I didn't understand my you couldn't put an intermittend tail light.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #35 on: 28 August, 2019, 06:07:25 pm »
I noticed most of the Japanese riders had triangular things hanging from the back of their bikes.
I *think* they may have been reflective things, with the intention of improving their visibility.

However, several of them had these positioned so as to totally occlude their rear light, rendering them near invisible in the night!

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #36 on: 28 August, 2019, 08:00:57 pm »
I noticed most of the Japanese riders had triangular things hanging from the back of their bikes.
I *think* they may have been reflective things, with the intention of improving their visibility.

However, several of them had these positioned so as to totally occlude their rear light, rendering them near invisible in the night!

Noticed that too, some of the Americans had the same but not blocking their lights.
It's a nice idea but the problem with them is, under the Vienna conventions on road traffic a triangle is a mark reserved for identifying a trailer.

« Reply #37 on: 28 August, 2019, 08:36:24 pm »
It’s mainly a US thing that the Japanese have adopted. I believe in the US it’s the sign for a slow moving vehicle.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #38 on: 28 August, 2019, 09:33:51 pm »
I also noticed that almost all of the American riders had mirrors attached to their hellmutts...
Must be A Thing in the USA.

phil dubya

• It's a fast bike, but the engine's knackered.
« Reply #39 on: 28 August, 2019, 10:11:29 pm »
I didn't find the ACP gilet too hot but I was wearing an altura wicking base layer, which keeps me cooler in the hot weather and warmer in the cooler weather.

phil dubya

• It's a fast bike, but the engine's knackered.
« Reply #40 on: 28 August, 2019, 10:15:33 pm »

I thought the Americans had excellent lighting and reflectives.  The Seattle Randonneurs where a great bunch, all that I chatted too were friendly and really into the international Randonneurring spirit.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #41 on: 28 August, 2019, 10:41:54 pm »
I wore it when it was dark, when I was told it was dark (even though it wasn't) and when I needed an extra layer.  It was fine.
Same, found it was fine. Generally it was not warm once it got dark, so lack of ventilation was not an issue.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #42 on: 29 August, 2019, 08:33:47 am »
I also noticed that almost all of the American riders had mirrors attached to their hellmutts...
Must be A Thing in the USA.

Yes - USAnians are very attached to their mirrors, on helmet, glasses and bike. Trouble is they tend not to look behind, then [if you're lucky] flick a quick signal and go without warning! International Bycycle Tours of Essex, Connecticut [of which I have some experience leading tour groups] ban them on European trips for that reason.

« Reply #43 on: 29 August, 2019, 05:43:08 pm »
Had no problems with gilet during ride, and glad to have it as an extra layer. My mate was trying to find me at the start, I said you’ll find me easily as I’m the one in Hi-Viz!

Hung it out on washing line and noticed the stitching under the arms has come away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #44 on: 04 September, 2019, 10:31:24 pm »
Interesting looking gilet worn by this Japanese rider with all the gizmos

https://www.instagram.com/p/B184ONwl2LU/?igshid=1df9lhx4rhewn
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #45 on: 05 September, 2019, 08:09:51 am »
It's worth knowing that you paid extra for the 2011 official gilet...The 2011 is relatively rare item

I have a 2011 one in reasonable condition, unworn after the event itself. Let the bidding commence!

First dibs!

What size?

I liked my 2011 gilet and continue to use it to this day (most of the PBP branding fell off after the first 10 washes.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #46 on: 05 September, 2019, 11:25:58 am »
It's worth knowing that you paid extra for the 2011 official gilet...The 2011 is relatively rare item

I have a 2011 one in reasonable condition, unworn after the event itself. Let the bidding commence!

First dibs!

What size?

I liked my 2011 gilet and continue to use it to this day (most of the PBP branding fell off after the first 10 washes.)

You do know the certification only covers 20 washes?  :P
and usage expectation is that they never get washed...

« Reply #47 on: 05 September, 2019, 11:38:47 am »
I sweat thinking about exercise. I used to wash it once a week when my cycle commute was 5h/week.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #48 on: 05 September, 2019, 01:07:12 pm »
I sweat thinking about exercise. I used to wash it once a week when my cycle commute was 5h/week.

aye, it would get pretty manky after awhile if a cyclist never washed it even though it's not meant as a kin contacting layer, but really they're designed with forms of activity with lower CV components in mind, like standing about on a building site.