Author Topic: Dahompton?  (Read 2963 times)

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
Re: Dahompton?
« Reply #1 on: 20 February, 2009, 11:16:58 am »
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 20 February, 2009, 11:19:53 am »
Merc?
Getting there...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 23 February, 2009, 03:26:18 pm »
No, the Dahon Curl has the potential to be a better folding bike than the Brommie.  It has a significantly smaller folded size despite the similar 355 or 349 wheel size.  Combine that with Dahon's tendency to have wider range gears, better brakes and (with some models) lighter weight and it looks promising.  It is a pity that the chain is on the outside of the fold and I hope there is a worthwhile luggage option but I'll be thinking hard about replacing my Brommie when this bike comes out.  It probably won't be commercially available until 2010.

Google for details.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 26 February, 2009, 05:45:09 pm »
Wossit weigh?  This matters for a folder, because you sometimes have to carry the thing, or at least lift it into a car.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #5 on: 26 February, 2009, 06:19:06 pm »
Here's a copy of the patent.

...and a half decent image of the folded bike:

At least one rumour suggests an aluminium frame, which if true would certainly help the weight.
Actually, it is rocket science.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 26 February, 2009, 06:56:58 pm »
Possibly.  The Merc has an aluminium frame and makes a reasonable boat anchor.

The local Brompton dealer has a theory that they're working on a titanium frame (the current "titanium" Bromptons only have a Ti fork, rear triangle, seatpost and (of all things) mudguard stays.  He claims to know Andrew Ritchie, so there may be something to it.  How you weld a Ti tube to a cast iron hinge, I have no idea.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 26 February, 2009, 11:02:24 pm »
Casting the Ti hinges is probably the main sticking point with Brompton making a Ti mainframe and handlebar stem.  Welding Ti to Fe is probably no-go and bonding may have durability issues.

I think that one of the currently-available Ti Brommie items is the fairly large main bolt for the folding pedal. 

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #8 on: 27 February, 2009, 12:02:13 am »
Someone has made an all-titanium Brommie frame- Len Rubin and his Ultimate Folding Bike. I spoke to Will Butler-Adams (Brompton MD) at the Smithfield Nocturne last year- he knows Len well, the project has been a labour of love over many years at great personal and financial cost. I have heard of one or two out in the real world, and he's shown it at trade shows. How many he makes, and at what cost....no idea, probably makes a Moulton New Series Double Pylon look like a bargain. Making anything like series production would be a massively more difficult proposition.
   UFB   The Ultimate Folding Bicycle   UFB
As for the Curl, Andrew Fudge of Fudges Cycle Store in London posted on the Dahon.com forums in September that Josh Hon (Dahon VP) told him he wasn't sure it would ever go into production, they weren't happy with the prototypes made so far & they don't just want to copy Brompton. Having entered it into the competition in Taipei might well be a sign that they feel they're on the right track.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: 27 February, 2009, 01:51:06 am »
I've seen a couple of Len's bikes (very covetable) but don't know of anybody who has been able to purchase one.  There was a lot of machining in those hinges.