Author Topic: LEL Photos  (Read 84120 times)

Re: LEL Photos
« Reply #150 on: 02 May, 2012, 09:02:37 am »
On Event Info, does the prologue really happen in August, a month after LEL?  :)

keeks

• shooting from the hip ... because I am
« Reply #151 on: 02 May, 2012, 09:23:42 am »
Nice Site , on checking the route info you mention Starting outside Buckingham palace with a corresponding "Find out more here"  but it doesn't lead to anywhere ?

« Reply #152 on: 02 May, 2012, 09:40:32 am »
On the Event Info, the final question readss "We will not disqualify any rider with a reasonable change of finishing in time."

Typos. happen in the best-regulated circles!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #153 on: 02 May, 2012, 09:41:11 am »
Nice Site , on checking the route info you mention Starting outside Buckingham palace with a corresponding "Find out more here"  but it doesn't lead to anywhere ?

I think they are just 100% waiting for the confirmation that Lizzie will be riding the prologue - albeit in a cart being pulled along by a pack of corgis.

Site looks really great.  Won't be long now until we have a sub-board for LEL and can discuss all the hot topics ad infinitum!

Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #154 on: 02 May, 2012, 09:47:37 am »
slightly off topic, i think, but i rode hull to london at the weekend and the routesheet we had has several sections that need amending, IMO, and the gpx track we had from the auk website was several miles off track on many occasions. for instance, while the instructions for a DIY stipulate visiting stansted airport services, the gpx track doesn't go closer than several miles to the east. also in spalding the instructions are confusing and force you to make an illegal right turn against the traffic on a one way street. this cost a lot of time, although in the end we were just inside time. i have asked mr undulates for his opinion. but DIY LEL perm riders should be aware of this.
oh, and the instructions take you along a really good cycle path by a river near woodhall spa but the gpx track just follows the main road.
finally, it is a fantastic ride hull to london, and has whetted my appetite for LEL.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

London Edinburgh London

« Reply #155 on: 02 May, 2012, 10:40:59 am »
slightly off topic, i think, but i rode hull to london at the weekend and the routesheet we had has several sections that need amending, IMO, and the gpx track we had from the auk website was several miles off track on many occasions. for instance, while the instructions for a DIY stipulate visiting stansted airport services, the gpx track doesn't go closer than several miles to the east. also in spalding the instructions are confusing and force you to make an illegal right turn against the traffic on a one way street. this cost a lot of time, although in the end we were just inside time. i have asked mr undulates for his opinion. but DIY LEL perm riders should be aware of this.
oh, and the instructions take you along a really good cycle path by a river near woodhall spa but the gpx track just follows the main road.
finally, it is a fantastic ride hull to london, and has whetted my appetite for LEL.

Cheers Martin! If you could forward your comments to Mr UNDulates, it would be helpful.

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #156 on: 02 May, 2012, 11:27:06 am »
Just a suggestion, but on the map showing the controls, is it feasible / possible / desirable to have a pop up showing the facilities etc when hovering / clicking on the name on the map (as well as on the side menu)?
Mojo is being awakened.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #157 on: 02 May, 2012, 01:56:51 pm »
On the Event Info, the final question readss "We will not disqualify any rider with a reasonable change of finishing in time."

Oh how ironic.

« Reply #158 on: 02 May, 2012, 02:33:48 pm »
It may not be in your plans, but I could certainly help with the Spanish translation if you needed at some point?

London Edinburgh London

« Reply #159 on: 02 May, 2012, 04:42:13 pm »
We'll have to look at the budget for things like extra translations and hovering things. Each translation has setup costs. LEL doesn't usually get many Spanish riders, but I could be persuaded if there was enough need for it.

London Edinburgh London

« Reply #160 on: 02 May, 2012, 04:47:42 pm »
Controls information details page:  Will you add opening/closing times when the route is finalised ? 
Shame about the lack of showers at Brampton.... that's thrown my "cunning plan" into complete disarray.

Hi Pete

Yes, we'll print control opening times as well as the route.

There will be showers at Brampton. If you can find them. It's a HUGE control. I'll change that.

« Reply #161 on: 02 May, 2012, 04:54:38 pm »
This is slightly ambiguous and may benefit from editing:

"Controls are likely to close within an hour or two of the official finishing time. If you arrive at a control, and it is closed, then we are afraid you will be disqualified".

« Reply #162 on: 02 May, 2012, 07:12:44 pm »
One other thought, not directly related to the website ... I appreciate why you have said riders cannot choose start time,  but could the entry form at least allow riders to state a preference for early start or late start ?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #163 on: 02 May, 2012, 07:28:02 pm »
Although there will only be a couple of hours in it this time, I think that's a good idea - travel to arrive by 0830 could be tricky for some, whereas others woul consider 1030 a "waste of daylight".
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mikewigley

« Reply #164 on: 02 May, 2012, 09:15:46 pm »
Is it just me?  I found the FAQ page (Event Info) rather infuriating in that, every time I clicked on a Q I then had to scroll down from the top of the page to find the A.

I had a chuckle at the phrase "Any bike repairs we carry out for you are also free".  I'm sure we all know of some AUKs who would really find such a service useful.

London Edinburgh London

« Reply #165 on: 02 May, 2012, 09:42:41 pm »
It's a Java hiccup, Mike, which they'll fix tomorrow. Ditto the vague copy about control closing times.

We're meeting in the summer about entry, so I'll see what we're able to do about times.
Taking part in the prologue might warrant an early start, to avoid riders riding then hanging around for a couple of hours getting cold.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #166 on: 02 May, 2012, 09:53:31 pm »
On the Event Info page there's two questions following each other: -

- Is there a central London prologue?
- How do I enter the central London prologue?

This isn't a fault so please feel free to ignore me, but surely the second question answers the first one. Wouldn't it be easier to put it all under the second question? :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #167 on: 03 May, 2012, 10:09:00 am »
We'll have to look at the budget for things like extra translations and hovering things. Each translation has setup costs. LEL doesn't usually get many Spanish riders, but I could be persuaded if there was enough need for it.

Point taken. Maybe I am just being thick but I just found the location and order of the controls confusing as I haven't done it before - especially the bits at the beginning and end where there are loops. The map on the 'Route' page has directional arrows whereas on the 'Controls' page it doesn't. Perhaps simply have a number in addition, next to the control name on the map and sidebar? Also the list order is confusing as Great Easton is listed next after the start control yet the blurb says it is the final control before the arrivee. Hope this doesn't sound critical, it's not meant to be.
Mojo is being awakened.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #168 on: 03 May, 2012, 11:24:03 am »
Snazzy... I almost forgot myself and signed up to the mailing list for registration.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

London Edinburgh London

« Reply #169 on: 03 May, 2012, 12:28:23 pm »
Point taken. Maybe I am just being thick but I just found the location and order of the controls confusing as I haven't done it before - especially the bits at the beginning and end where there are loops. The map on the 'Route' page has directional arrows whereas on the 'Controls' page it doesn't. Perhaps simply have a number in addition, next to the control name on the map and sidebar? Also the list order is confusing as Great Easton is listed next after the start control yet the blurb says it is the final control before the arrivee. Hope this doesn't sound critical, it's not meant to be.

I think the phrase is 'critical friend' - a very good friend to have.

You're right on this. I'm going to put the control distances up soonish, which will make a better order for the controls more apparent.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #170 on: 03 May, 2012, 12:55:15 pm »
The 'Route' page map (with the arrows) is excellent.  :thumbsup:

I don't think we need hovery things (I've got a bit of a vendetta against all functionality that uses hovering unless absolutely necessary, but I think I'll save that for another thread ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles