Author Topic: Downloading routes from Mapsource to 705!!???  (Read 1422 times)

Pilsbury

Downloading routes from Mapsource to 705!!???
« on: 20 June, 2009, 04:31:38 pm »
I have studiously and laboriously created a file for each leg of LEL using Mapsource. Each leg is a seperate file; each file has just one route in it. Having completed the 20 files, I began to download them to my 705. HOWEVER, I discovered that each file I downloaded over-wrote the previous one. So try as I might, I can only get 1 file onto the 705.
Is this meant to happen? I can find no reference to it in the Mapsource help.

If there is nothing I can do about the over-writing, then perhaps I need to bring all the routes into one file, and download that? The problem is that I can see no way of taking a route from one file, and transferring it into another. I tried copying and pasting all the waypoints, but although the waypoints appeared in the new route, they weren't where they were supposed to be.

So suggestions please - how do I stop the over-writing, or how do I transfer a route from one file to another?

Cheers

Pilsbury

Re: Downloading routes from Mapsource to 705!!???
« Reply #1 on: 20 June, 2009, 04:57:33 pm »
Ah - think I've figured this out myself. Simply File> save as gpx direct to the unit, rather than using the 'transfer' command.
Would still like to know how to bring a route from one file into another though......

Chris S

« Reply #2 on: 20 June, 2009, 05:01:21 pm »
Or - copy and paste all 20 routes into one file.

1. Open a blank copy of Mapsource
2. Open first route in a new copy of Mapsource. Click on route, select Copy.
3. Go go copy of Mapsource opened in (1). Select routes tab, and do paste.
4. Repeat steps (2) and (3) for your other routes until they are all in (1).
5. Save (1) and transfer routes.

Of course - this may fail messily if you haven't kept unique waypoint names.

Pilsbury

« Reply #3 on: 20 June, 2009, 05:23:21 pm »
Of course - this may fail messily if you haven't kept unique waypoint names.

I didn't, and it does.
Sometimes I think just a bit of paper with directions would be easier, or perhaps one of those map things I learned about in school.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 20 June, 2009, 06:48:50 pm »
Also, the file namer isn't the one that is listed in the 705. It is one of the tags in the document, <name> I think.
It is simpler than it looks.