Author Topic: Suspension forks bottomed out - what's best to do.  (Read 9648 times)

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
Suspension forks bottomed out - what's best to do.
« on: 19 November, 2015, 11:42:08 am »
A Halfords 29er with sun tour NVX sue forks. I understand they are not 'quality' and I dont know what the mechanics inside are. Basically they bottom out in normal riding so might just as well not have suspension. They used to work, quite well, about a year old. The preloaded knob seems to do nothing.
Any way to beef up the 'spring' if that is what it is - or elastomer? Or is this a case of chuck and upgrade? (Although that looks quite expensive...
Any advice welcomed.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
Re: Suspension forks bottomed out - what's best to do.
« Reply #1 on: 19 November, 2015, 11:44:14 am »
Bumped.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2 on: 19 November, 2015, 11:48:03 am »
I think the NVX has a coil spring? Is there any resistance when you press down?

« Reply #3 on: 19 November, 2015, 12:32:33 pm »
I have no idea if any of these videos might be informative.
We have two ears and one mouth for a reason. We should do twice as much listening as talking.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4 on: 19 November, 2015, 01:44:49 pm »
What's the bike? An NVX fork is generally for hybrid use, light trail at the most.

The left hand leg has a coil spring, the right hand has the damping cartridge. The lockout is hydraulic, restricting the flow of the oil in the damper cartridge, that's why there's a little movement even with the fork locked. It's unusual for these to bottom out on the street. If that's the case I would suspect a broken spring. Have you slackened off the spring preload?

At the bottom of each leg is either a 10mm nut or a 5mm hex bolt. If you undo these the slider will pull off the stanchion. You'll probably find the insides will be full of water and emulsified grease. Clean the insides and the chrome stanchions. Light scoring on the chrome is acceptable, deep scratches or corrosion means it's a scrapper. Use wire wool to clean the chrome then regrease and reassemble and that should improve the action but if you're constantly bottoming out the fork then you need something stronger.

Look at the Epicon model if you're using the bike hard off road.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Tigerrr

• Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #5 on: 19 November, 2015, 03:50:41 pm »
Thanks.