Author Topic: Vintage tandem frames with modern bits - bad idea?  (Read 5161 times)

Vintage tandem frames with modern bits - bad idea?
« on: 27 June, 2012, 11:43:21 pm »
Just looking for a little bit of advice...Chuffy and I have had a day out on a tandem before, and enjoyed it, and would like to try a few more rides, but we don't really have the cash to buy a decent second hand tandem...
However, have just spotted a tandem built around a vintage frame (I suspect it's a Sun something) on the bay of e.  The frame looks as if it's in decent nick and it looks to have modernised fairly successfully with cotterless cranks etc.

The forks look utterly terrifying and I'd want to replace them before doing anything other than going round the block.

Would anyone care to offer any opinion as to whether it is worth a punt as a starter tandem, and worth lavishing a replacement fork on?

Re: Vintage tandem frames with modern bits - bad idea?
« Reply #1 on: 28 June, 2012, 12:11:00 am »
If it's the "some rust pitting" that's worrying you, perhaps asked the seller how deep is the rust. If it's just surface rust, it should clean up OK, assuming they're chrome plated steel forks.

« Reply #2 on: 28 June, 2012, 08:37:14 am »
Presumably the bottom bracket shells have been sleeved for modern dimensions. it looks as though it has a Brampton type headset, which I think the Tandem Club can supply bits for.

I wouldn't worry so much about rust pitting on chrome, but you might wish to ask Dave Yates (bicycle Repair Man) about fork suitability.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 28 June, 2012, 08:56:31 am »
It looks like someone's spent way more money than might be considered sensible on an old tosser of a frame.  If it goes for £100 and you want to use it as a pub bike, fair enough. 

Were it me, I'd steer clear and hold out for a second hand entry level Thorn or Cannondale or something.  If you can stretch to £400ish, you'd be way less likely to find yourself dumped on the ground with a snapped wossname.  Also, the gears might work.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4 on: 28 June, 2012, 09:08:50 am »
If you want a project, how about this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TWO-GENUINE-PRE-WAR-TANDEM-FRAMES-A-SIDE-CAR-WHEELS-HANDLEBARS-/190695804505?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item2c665b0e59#ht_500wt_1363

Having a quick trawl round the bay I see there is some real dross in tandems.  I thought the "classic" bike market was bad, but the tandem market is even worse.  Have a look at this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ammaco-Pure-Genius-Tandem-Frame-/120938345626?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item1c287cb49a#ht_500wt_1363

Looks fine until you see the "Front fork RH leg is bent"  :o OMG, how did that happen and what other damage has it caused?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #6 on: 28 June, 2012, 09:32:10 am »
If you want a project, how about this?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TWO-GENUINE-PRE-WAR-TANDEM-FRAMES-A-SIDE-CAR-WHEELS-HANDLEBARS-/190695804505?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item2c665b0e59#ht_500wt_1363

I have a tandem that looks very much like the one near the side-car in that listing (although mine has a SA 3sp hub with no rear hub brake). The frame seems solid enough but weighs a ton. I bought it as a complete tandem for £25. I think this was a fair price - I wouldn't have paid any more for it. One day I'll fix it up and it will make a great pub tandem for myself and Mrs W.
Pen Pusher

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #7 on: 28 June, 2012, 09:45:24 am »
I'm with Charlotte on this one.  Cheap, old tandem for a pub bike - fine. 

But the stresses on a tandem frame and components when riding more than a couple of mile pootle to the pub would mean I wouldn't want to risk trying this on something older than hadn't had a lot of money and attention spent on it - even when I see perfectly restored older tandems, they still terrify me!

You will often see good stuff around the £400 mark that will be a far safer purchase - as Charlotte said, you're less likely to break something, it should have working gears (and more importantly, BRAKES!). 

I think a cheaper, older tandem would be a false economy.  It wouldn't be enjoyable to ride very far and would probably end up becoming unloved and unused fairly quickly - whereas a half-decent modern tandem would last for years to come, wouldn't try and kill you on a regular basis etc.

Best of luck!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 28 June, 2012, 09:47:24 am »
I wouldn't.  Looks like a gaspiper.

If it were something of interest, I would be tempted.  But that doesn't look like a good idea to me.

X-posted with marcus: We bought our Dawes Super Galaxy for about £400.  Sure, we spent twice that on refurbing it later, but it was perfectly servicable as bought.  And a good frame worth upgrading.
Getting there...

« Reply #9 on: 28 June, 2012, 12:40:35 pm »
Thanks everyone, as we'll inevitably ending up wanting it to do more than just weave home from the pub and I'm a tad scared of snappage, we'll steer clear.

I'll continue to keep an eye out for something decent, though having a short compact and bijou captain seems to be a bit of a handicap where the secondhand market is concerned :( :).

« Reply #10 on: 28 June, 2012, 12:45:18 pm »
Have you looked at these? http://www.tandem-club.org.uk/_sboard.htm
It's worth keeping an eye out there since they get added often and their owners are much more likely to have looked after them.

« Reply #11 on: 28 June, 2012, 01:05:53 pm »
Thanks - yes, have been checking there fairly regularly but as you say, most of the tandems have been well looked after so are usually out of our current price range.

Will keep looking though as if we're patient, something will turn up, or we'll be in a position to spend some more money by then!

« Reply #12 on: 01 July, 2012, 09:49:39 pm »
I have such a tandem. I have had it for over 30 years now. People who should know better criticise it and me because it is not restored with period pieces (even though I have no idea what the period pieces on mine should be, since I don't really know the maker or the model). It has carried kids, cycle-camped with and without a trailer and carried my former blind stoker round two hilly randonnées (and countless "normal" rides at her request because it is more comfortable than the modern lightweight tandems owned by the club. It is not a "pub" bike, in spite of the heavy tubing and industrial construction!
This said, if I were starting tandemming again (especially in Fance where good, cheap secondhand tandems are a bit rare) I would buy a new EXS frame and build it up from scratch, which wouldn't be any more expensive than buying a cheap secondhand one and refurbishing it. I wouldn't go down the road that I went down 30 years ago! (I am still regularly tempted by this idea even though at present I have no need for a tandem!). Of course in UK you have rather more choice!