Author Topic: Knee woes  (Read 1085 times)

Knee woes
« on: 16 September, 2019, 08:30:36 am »
Bugger. Have been putting in a lot of rides recently as plan to do a charity cycle ride first weekend in October. Its 90 miles which would be the furthest I have cycled

On the last four or five rides my knee started to ache, changed bike for this weekends ride of around 60 miles so had mountain bike spds with much more movement but my knee hurt again and still a bit sore today having ridden Saturday morning.

Physio booked for Wednesday but suspect the sensible thing to do will be not to do the 90 mile. Any thoughts?

Re: Knee woes
« Reply #1 on: 16 September, 2019, 09:15:07 am »
From personal experience, there’s a good chance that it’s not your knee that’s the issue. I’ve had a few issues with my knee and it’s usually a tight hip flexor or even something in my lower back that’s causing some imbalance in how the patella tracks. Physio has been able to sort each time. Once after one session and then another time it took about 3-4 sessions.
I assume that you’ve had a proper bike fit and that you’ve ramped up distance gradually. Your cardio fitness will usually improve faster than your physiological adaptions to riding longer distances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Knee woes
« Reply #2 on: 16 September, 2019, 12:24:29 pm »
I haven't had a bike fit but had the bike set up when I bought it around 4 1/2 years ago and never had any problems. I probably didn't make it clear but the increase in mileage hasn't been exceptional. Have been doing rides of roughly that length fairly regularly and similar for years but will be stepping up from 50-60 to 90 if I do the ride.

Apart from my knee I felt brilliant on this ride with no other aches or pains and wasn't at all tired at the end