Author Topic: The Ski Locker thread  (Read 126331 times)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: The Ski Locker thread
« Reply #625 on: 04 March, 2019, 10:43:59 pm »
He should be doing it as the last run of the day when it's all iced up  ;D

« Reply #626 on: 05 March, 2019, 09:14:52 am »
Strava says my fastest on Face is 5:54 but I was skiing with someone slower than me then and it was never that nice snow (excuses, excuses).

Looking back it seems I'd snuck in early on some newly created segments:-

Off to Flims/Laax in just over two weeks.

With. No. Children.

Can. Not. Wait.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #627 on: 29 March, 2019, 02:14:26 pm »
Ouch! A week ago Monday I was standing on the edge of an icy mogul on the a steep section of the Bois De L'Ours black piste in Les Arc.  I decided to turn.  Moved my weight on to my upslope right leg. My right ski slips down the mogol hits my left ski and all the sudden I am standing on nothing. I land on my right arm.  I pause to consider what had just happened and ski down to the Mammottes lift and take Chalets piste back to my residence in Arc 2000.

I decided not to ski on Monday afternoon over concern over my arm. On Tuesday I find it very painful to put on a T-Shirt. So I decend to Arc 1950 because there is no longer a doctor Arc 2000.  Wait a couple of hours then after a few hours waiting and four x-rays it is concluded that I do not have a broken arm just a contusion. In the Afternoon I take the navette to Arc 1600. There is no longer a pharmacy in Arc 2000/1950. Fill my prescription on Lamoline and Ketoprofane.

Wednesday I continue my brillliant ski holiday.  I only took 2 Lamoline so I am not addicted to opioids.

Back now. Arm still hurts.

« Reply #628 on: 22 July, 2019, 11:23:47 am »
OK, it's an ad, but this is the best Candide Thovex  yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHrwcQQ38bA

Sometimes I wonder about that memory stuff between my ears... https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=55316.msg2346522#msg2346522

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #629 on: 20 November, 2019, 12:31:02 pm »
Organising a ski trip for the 7th of December is tricky.

Do not want to go to the Tarantaise.  So Austria or Dolomites.

The tricky bit are the transfers nothing is running this early in the season.

For example Fly BA scheduled flight Gatwick to Verona, bus to train station. high speed train to Bolzano, Bus 350 to Plan Val Gardina. walk 50m to favourite hotel.
Example 2 BA scheduled flight to Verona. Taxi transfer to Plan.  Simple but costs three times the cost of the flight. No. Wont do it.

I thought Austria the Arlberg a little south of Munich,  Flight to Munich lots of choice here.  S-Bahn to Munich Ost, Munich Ost to somewhere halfway to Vienna change trains and double back to St Anton Walk to hotel. 4hr 50mins.  To long.  Scheduled flights to Austria go to Vienna.

« Reply #630 on: 20 November, 2019, 12:53:44 pm »
Not sure what's open, but have you considered Switzerland? I know of a couple of resorts in/around Fiesch that have trains running to them (bizarre experience, tbh). I know one of them is pretty high, too. Happy to have a poke around and see if I can dig info out of history. On the other hand Switzerland may well work out rather spendy.

« Reply #631 on: 20 November, 2019, 01:08:23 pm »
As far as I can make out prices in Switz haven't changed much since I worked there but the exch rate has gone from 2.5 to 1.3. So yes, Switz is 'spendy'.

And you can always get to Zermatt.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #632 on: 20 November, 2019, 03:26:50 pm »
'ere you go - this is what I mean. Train along the valley and cable car up, I think (?) it was Betten I went to, train station right next to the resort car. Bettmeralp is completely car free.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #633 on: 20 November, 2019, 03:29:43 pm »
Switzerland is too expensive for me.  Zermatt is also ruled out. I'm off to Cervinia later in the season.

Most Austrian towns have a railway station. My problem really is which resort will be open.  I am not considering Kitzbuhel because of another upcoming holiday.  That is theoretically open now but only two lifts to the same place in the Jochberg.  It will not be open in my opinion until the Hammenkhan lifts are running. A  number of places hope to open the first week of December but I do not know the Austrian resorts opening pattern.

I think I will watch openings this year maybe do this adventure another time.

I know the Sella Ronda will be open on the 7th December but some of the side pistes certainly will not. So there is a sizeable amount of skiing there. Val Di Fassa have a bus to Cannazei from Verona. Depends what my brother thinks.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #634 on: 20 November, 2019, 10:04:50 pm »
I was able to check with my brother who made this awkwardness necessary he is now able to travel on the week Saturday 14th December which is a lot easier to organise. Looks like St Anton at the moment.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #635 on: 20 November, 2019, 11:51:41 pm »
We probably won't be contributing to this thread this season  :(

Because cycling  :P

« Reply #636 on: 21 November, 2019, 11:13:41 am »
Not doing a family trip this year to save cash but still managing to sneak in a long weekend trip with friends to, err, Lech.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #637 on: 21 November, 2019, 11:30:34 am »
The oh so predictable and reliable Flaine for four days in Jan and then (for the first time ever for me) a run to the Trois Vallees for Feb. Very different family trip this year though, the two older kids of the respective families won't be with us. An altered dynamic I expect.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #638 on: 21 November, 2019, 11:33:48 am »
Booked in Arc1950 (that's the posh joint just below 2000) over xmas, looking forward to it lots.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #639 on: 22 November, 2019, 02:21:31 pm »
I have booked St Anton 14th December 2019
I have booked Kitzbuhel 11th January 2020
I have booked Cervinia 20th March 2020

Now I can worry if it will snow enough.   snow-forecast.com says yes at mid-station in St Anton but there is still time for rain at resort level.

« Reply #640 on: 22 November, 2019, 09:52:26 pm »
I will by tying on the car roof the plastic sled I first bought for miss Ham when she was 3, for use by my grandson. That's a rather fun thing to be doing.

« Reply #641 on: 22 November, 2019, 10:30:11 pm »
Still no sign of snow here. Even Whistler is struggling. At least it'll get cold enough to start the snowguns next week
This is all my fault, as I bought a seasons pass for the local mountain this year.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #642 on: 04 December, 2019, 11:48:36 am »
St Anton is sort of open

https://www.stantonamarlberg.com/en/service/lifts-and-pistes

Hope more will be open soon.

« Reply #643 on: 04 December, 2019, 12:07:59 pm »
Oh my, but it is looking good for me. https://en.lesarcs.com/webcams.html

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #644 on: 13 December, 2019, 10:00:36 pm »
last post for a week. I wonder why?

« Reply #645 on: 13 December, 2019, 10:02:37 pm »
Ooooo let us know what the snow is like - off next weekend, here.

« Reply #646 on: 22 December, 2019, 10:46:38 am »
<grumble grumble> too much snow <grumble grumble>

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #647 on: 22 December, 2019, 04:17:42 pm »
At St. Anton.  Very busy at the first weekend all the hotels were full with weekenders who believed the resort reports of wonderful conditions. At this point the snow was OK.  As I suggested busy for pre christmas but it was the first decent weekend for the near locals.

Through the week the snow was very thin with the brown patches I would associate with spring skiing.  Most of the lifts were running and we could ski to Zurs and Rendl was mostly open (I read this does not open before christmas week). However we needed to catch a short bus ride from Zurs to Lech.  Oberlech,'we are too snowsure to need artificial snow, had the thinnest brownest snow on the trip. Lifts linking to Schrocken and Warth were closed. Zug was also out of reach.

The food - The Austrian on piste restaurants were over generous with their portions.  By the end of the week I had settled on soup and streudal as my meal. Any main course left me really stuffed.  Much better value than France. Eg 23 euro for a substantial Rumpsteak with loads of chips and a huge salad a Coca Cola.  In Les Arcs you will Saucisse with a meagre portion of Frites for that price. We never paid of 61.30 euros for the three of us.

The Room - The hotel was over booked so we were upgraded to a three bedroom apartment at the hotel. a Austrian Twin and two singles.  With the sofa beds the British holiday companies would describe this as an eight person room. Imagine the under occupancy charges they would want.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #648 on: 22 December, 2019, 04:23:15 pm »
Looking at https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/St-Anton/6day/mid I chose the right week Christmas week only has one non snow day with the associated poor light. 

« Reply #649 on: 30 December, 2019, 04:56:53 pm »
Well, that was.... different.

First two days was a complete whiteout, no lifts operating Day 1, and none to speak of or that you would want to day 2. Day 3 wasn't much better, Mrs Ham has bad knees and doesn't like skiing in the snow, so Day 3 and Day 6 were out. Did get out for a couple of runs on Days 4 & 5

Still nice to be there with the family (including the littl'un), still fun, just ..... different.