Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 476042 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #2025 on: 23 January, 2018, 04:00:32 pm »
Common problem in Oz and seen as only a run of the mill hassle in almost every instance.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2026 on: 23 January, 2018, 04:05:12 pm »
Trying not to sh*t bricks and avoiding google image searching Basal Cell Carcinoma.   :sick:

Don't. No need to. As LWaB says, fairy routine in some countries and has become fairly routine for me.

Glad the system is embracing you.

« Reply #2027 on: 23 January, 2018, 04:22:14 pm »
I've had a few BCC's on my back and now do not spend time out in the sun without a shirt on. Not that shirts always prevent re-occurrence, but better than bare skin if you want to avoid the removal treatments.

I've had one Moh surgical procedure on between my eye and nose which seems the cancer there is not coming back.

We need the sun for Vitamin D, but too much is not good either. Best keep covered up.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2028 on: 23 January, 2018, 06:16:27 pm »
There is a reason I DO NOT WANT the raised toilet seat that the OTs think is a Good Idea...
It IS a good idea if the lowness of your toilet makes it difficult for you to get on/off.  We can always give you a bath step to prop your feet on.

More clutter to trip over and fall off: no thanks!

I have had major issues with 'helpful' raised toilets when on holiday.

https://www.manageathome.co.uk/pd/Mountway-Solo-Powered-Toilet-Lift_10302.htm
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2029 on: 23 January, 2018, 06:46:47 pm »
Thanks!

« Reply #2030 on: 23 January, 2018, 07:40:32 pm »
I had an enema followed by a flexible sigmoidosopy (camera up my bum) this pm. I watched on the screen and all looks very pink and smooth. I got a clean bill of health which is good but doesn't explain my incontinence.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2031 on: 23 January, 2018, 07:51:07 pm »
Nice to hear the hardware is sound.
Suspect mischief in wiring and circuitry.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2032 on: 23 January, 2018, 11:02:54 pm »
wondering why my blood glucose was high and increasing this afternoon, chanced a look at my insulin pump and saw internal condensation.

Seems I'd cracked the vial of insulin last night, dropped it as I was bout to change it, but hadn't noticed.  Glad I caught it when I did as ketoacidosis is not good.  All back to a hunkidory 5.3 after dinner
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #2033 on: 24 January, 2018, 06:02:29 pm »
Nice to hear the hardware is sound.
Suspect mischief in wiring and circuitry.
Thanks Helly, do you think it could be diet related. I was adding chilli to most meals, stopped at the start of December. I know that chilli is good for digestion as they can soften the gut lining. Maybe my over consumption has led to things getting too soft. Apparently I can clench ok.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2034 on: 24 January, 2018, 06:26:59 pm »
The ironic Crapita lurgy has now gone to my ears, and barakta's lungs.  This is suboptimal.  Last night I resorted to Sudafed, which controlled the post-nasal drip admirably well.  I know this because I was wide awake for the duration.

« Reply #2035 on: 25 January, 2018, 10:33:48 am »
The ironic Crapita lurgy has now gone to my ears, and barakta's lungs.  This is suboptimal.  Last night I resorted to Sudafed, which controlled the post-nasal drip admirably well.  I know this because I was wide awake for the duration.

Someone has delivered that lurgi to clarion as well. It's gone to his lungs  :(
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #2036 on: 25 January, 2018, 10:49:04 am »
I've picked it up from London town. Feel incredibly weary, with 'heavy' lungs. Suspect if I were asthmatic, this would be serious.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2037 on: 25 January, 2018, 02:17:22 pm »
My lungs are certainly being shite.  My temperature regulation is all over the place: I'll spend an hour felling hot, then two hours later I'm shivering.  Random joint pain too, with the Stupid Knee being particularly bad (which combines with dodgy balance to make stairs non-fun).  And I keep being overwhelmed by exhaustion and wanting to hide in the dark.

Barakta seems a bit less 'ill' with it, but probably only because her baseline is so awful.

It's not flu, but certainly the worst case of snotty urgh I've had for a long time.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2038 on: 25 January, 2018, 02:22:25 pm »
I have ten minute spells of feeling hot, without feeling ill.
This is age-related and not a lurgy but I keep thinking I'm a bit old for this.

« Reply #2039 on: 27 January, 2018, 09:58:37 am »
Out for dinner last night with friends at a local pub and woke up this morning with the runs!  Won't go there again.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2040 on: 27 January, 2018, 02:04:56 pm »
Through a combination of luck, ventolin and undignified dangling upside down I've just managed to cough up the lump of urgh that's been stuck at the top of my lung for the last 24 hours or so.  I feel *so* much better[1] for it.

[1] Still hot and cold, still achy, can barely speak, throat's a mess, left ear isn't really working, peak flow's a couple of hundred below normal and I'm exhausted.  But I can kinda-sorta breathe again!  xkcd://349 applies.

« Reply #2041 on: 27 January, 2018, 03:24:08 pm »
Through a combination of luck, ventolin and undignified dangling upside down I've just managed to cough up the lump of urgh that's been stuck at the top of my lung for the last 24 hours or so.  I feel *so* much better[1] for it.

[1] Still hot and cold, still achy, can barely speak, throat's a mess, left ear isn't really working, peak flow's a couple of hundred below normal and I'm exhausted.  But I can kinda-sorta breathe again!  xkcd://349 applies.

There's such a thing as _dignified_ dangling upside down ? 

GWS.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2042 on: 27 January, 2018, 03:38:16 pm »
There's such a thing as _dignified_ dangling upside down ? 

Not really, but this sort of thing was much easier when I was a small and my dad could hold me by my ankles in a steamy kitchen while I coughed out the grot.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2043 on: 27 January, 2018, 03:47:43 pm »
I am in my 8th day of this sodding infection. I am not usually given to chest tightness, but my breathing is laboured.

My dear wife, who is asthmatic, is struggling.

So far, Dez & Aunt Phyllis have avoided this.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2044 on: 30 January, 2018, 08:23:43 am »
My night terrors are getting a bit out of hand, it's not so much having them that's the issue, it's that first millisecond when Mrs S wakes me complaining about doing fire engine impersonations  :-[ :o

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #2046 on: 06 February, 2018, 02:04:24 pm »
Boil on my nose is making me look like a dipsomaniac Rudolph...  >:(  Feeling very taut and hurty - would be feeling quite tempted to lance it if there were any indication of a 'head', but alas...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2047 on: 06 February, 2018, 08:33:57 pm »
Sounds horrible!
Do not be tempted to squeeze this and seek medical advice if you feel ill in any way.

I believe this is infection in the 'danger area of the face', which brought Dire Warnings in Medical School.

Actually, maybe best see a doctor anyway.

ian

« Reply #2048 on: 06 February, 2018, 08:54:47 pm »
I have a big streptococcomus doing a dance on my tonsils (and really everywhere down there). It's quite colourful but frankly not much of a pet. You have no idea how often a human animal swallows until it hurts every time. Fortunately I have 1000 ibuprofen pills (god bless America, a land that puts the killer in painkiller) and what appears to be a similar number of phenoxymethylpenicillin tablets. I gave it ten days to go away on its own accord and it failed to take the hint. I got swabbed to see if it was a exotic strain gleaned from my recent trip to the US. They got bigly bacteria over there.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2049 on: 06 February, 2018, 09:00:08 pm »
Pen V should kill ordinary streps DEDD without allowing too many superbugs to flourish.
GWS!

I'm not sure I've had any antibiotics this decade myself...