Author Topic: This is not a tour. Welsh rides in the spirit of Mike Hall - 2/3rd June 2018.  (Read 63946 times)

vistaed

• Everyday stories

Bag-drop?
Unlikely

I think you should allow Matt at least to drop a bag at the start and collect it at the finish.
Go on then :)
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

vistaed

• Everyday stories
George Berwick used to cache food and bottles in hedges on the 24. Will that be allowed if you do it by bicycle?
As it's not a race and only a bike ride after all, that approach sounds like fun to me.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes

Bag-drop?
Unlikely

I think you should allow Matt at least to drop a bag at the start and collect it at the finish.
Hmmmm ...

Well OK, but the hot-tub is non-negotiable.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

... no details of on-route re-supply options

If I read that correctly, that implies that information on cafes and shops etc will not be provided. This would not be an issue for local riders who will be aware of what lies on the route, or just off the route, but for out-of-area riders this will require much use of streetview and Internet information gathering beforehand. Is that correct?

Overall I am very much looking forward to the weekend. The thinking behind the events is spot-on, and I am looking forward to preparing for what appears to be a true challenge that will be rewarding in many ways.

You do read this correctly but I hear what your saying about being an out of area rider. I class myself as an out of area rider and had to find all the information on food etc myself before heading out with two other riders on our 400km recce. In a way its part of the spirit of Mike and enriched the experience of the ride. Our ride did not go to plan but I'll write about that at another time. The first time you do a challenging route in to the unknown it's more than just about being fit enough to complete the ride. It's about the mental preparation, the planning, the kit choice and your approach to risk that all come together to form a strategy you hope will get you round in time. But in the end you just don't know if the strategy will work. It's also about the asking of questions of those that are locals on forums like this. It helps to build a sense of joint adventure before the ride has even started. As such, I believe these rides could be more rewarding for out of area riders.

Thank you for the explanation. With or without upfront details of places of nourishment I think the ride will be a challenge that sets it apart, and understand your reasoning for putting the onus on the riders to prepare for the journey.

When will the route details become known? Some details are on aukweb, but I would hope the full details  will be made available early so that riders have a lot of time to fill in the blanks and prepare themselves.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
I think the blanks will be filled in by mostly..... blanks. It's moderately remote, there are few refuel points and nothing will be open a lot of the time. Memories of Highlands And Glens. Bring it on

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

vistaed

• Everyday stories
I don't have a definitive 'go live date' for the website. But we are talking weeks not months.

guidon

• formerly known as cyclone
well it looks like a ten cc reunion is on the cards....Will try to gain permission for this but its a trek from the dordogne....I'll see what i can do....

Great looking rides, proper challenges but a good range of options too - I think they will be very popular. Nice work and love the ethos!

Re: This is not a tour. Welsh rides in the spirit of Mike Hall - 2/3rd June 2018.
« Reply #33 on: 01 September, 2017, 01:19:26 pm »
Likely unable to do this with racing getting in the way but are you likely to want anyone to test the route beforehand or maybe you'll open route up for Perm riders?

vistaed

• Everyday stories
Re: This is not a tour. Welsh rides in the spirit of Mike Hall - 2/3rd June 2018.
« Reply #34 on: 02 September, 2017, 10:16:51 pm »
****UPDATE****

There is now a website with more information www.tinat.cymru
And a facebook group that you can join https://www.facebook.com/groups/1454317321326043/

Reminder that entry opens on the 1st October 2017

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #35 on: 20 September, 2017, 10:00:08 pm »
If you're interested, and I know some of you are, there will be a 600km route. Details are now on the website with entrance to open on the 1st October along with the other rides.
http://tinat.cymru/saturday-rides/600km-br/

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #36 on: 21 September, 2017, 12:00:55 pm »
Wow. 11323m climbing, that would make this a Super Randonnée. Except you only get 42 hours instead of 60 and it is on mixed surface to boot...

Too much for me, but I do intend to ride the "fast 300" one. Now that my entry for the Bryan Chapman is confirmed I'm thinking of turning this into a nice British cycling excursion: start with the BCM, follow up with two weeks of easy-does-it touring in the south-central then finish with this adventure. Probably bring my new Rohloff randonneur; weights a bit more than my regular audax bike but it's sturdier and 48mm tyres should fit under the mudguards.

Looking forward to this one!

« Reply #37 on: 21 September, 2017, 01:27:16 pm »
I have to admit, I'm getting ridiculously excited by the prospect of attempting the 600.  I very much doubt I'll complete it in under 42 hours - but it's got to be worth a pop.

What with the Mille Cymru, the Brevet Cymru and a possible BCM perm too - it looks like I'll be riding around Wales rather a lot next year  :thumbsup:

« Reply #38 on: 22 September, 2017, 08:33:12 am »
Oh dear I think this might hurt my poor old legs 👀🙃

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #39 on: 22 September, 2017, 10:33:10 am »
Looking forward to it!
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #40 on: 22 September, 2017, 05:04:55 pm »
I've tried mapping the 400 route on bikehike, and I'm getting close to the published figures for distance and elevation. However I can only find 3 of the 5 "lengthy rough sections", and I haven't yet determined where the ford is. The rough sections I have so far are around Claerwen reservoir, past Blaenycwm on the route to Llangurig, and the NCR82 to Dolgellau. Whereabouts are the other 2 rough sections, and the ford?

I'm trying to get a feel for the route before putting my entry in, although I suspect I'll be up for the challenge irrespective of the finer points of the route!

That road up Bwlch y Groes looks impressive on the OS map. 10 steep climb arrows in the space of 1.9km, but at least we miss out one extra arrow where the route bears off to the right. 

« Reply #41 on: 22 September, 2017, 05:07:33 pm »
Very keen for this. I've got the right bike now, so no excuses.
Struggling to get my head around the 600 option. 600km zipping along at 30km/h on smooth tar is one thing. 600km grinding up steep dirt tracks in the dark is quite another.

However like a moth to the flame it's hard to ignore the pull.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #42 on: 22 September, 2017, 05:54:50 pm »
this is the first audax (looking at the 600 one) where i wonder if i can make it back before the cut off. very tempting to find out and plenty of time to get a suitable bike for the job.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #43 on: 22 September, 2017, 06:12:43 pm »
I think knowing where the rough sections are is key to planning a sleep strategy on the 400 and 600. I'd definitely prefer to do all rough track during daylight.

I'm torn between the 200 and the 300, or even two 200s (Sat and sun). If I enter I will be sure to choose one if the routes that does the llanidoes to machynlyth section.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Chris N

« Reply #44 on: 22 September, 2017, 06:42:57 pm »
I believe the off road bits are Cors Caron nature reserve (near Tregaron), the Claerwen Reservoir track, NCR 818 Cwmystwyth - Llangurig cycle track, NCR 82 before Dolgellau and the last bit is probably in or near the Dyfnant Forest.  You can probably do the first 4 sections in daylight, maybe the 5th.

The ford might be on NCN 818 - it's been a while since I've been that way.

That road up Bwlch y Groes looks impressive on the OS map. 10 steep climb arrows in the space of 1.9km, but at least we miss out one extra arrow where the route bears off to the right. 
You sure about that? ;)

« Reply #45 on: 22 September, 2017, 06:52:59 pm »
I believe the off road bits are Cors Caron nature reserve (near Tregaron), the Claerwen Reservoir track, NCR 818 Cwmystwyth - Llangurig cycle track, NCR 82 before Dolgellau and the last bit is probably in or near the Dyfnant Forest.  You can probably do the first 4 sections in daylight, maybe the 5th.

The ford might be on NCN 818 - it's been a while since I've been that way.

You sure about that? ;)

Thanks Chris, I'll take another look with that additional info.

Re Bwlch y Groes, looks like the 600 takes the left at the top for the final bit of climbing, whereas the 400 turns right. Mind you, if I want to tick that off the list of 100 greatest cycling climbs I'll need to do the extra bit. Or maybe come back another day!

U.N.Dulates

• aka John Hamilton
« Reply #46 on: 22 September, 2017, 06:55:16 pm »
The ford is on the Claerwen - Teifi Pools track. Unbridged river crossing. No footbridge alternative. Depending on how much rain there's been it can be anything from ankle to thigh deep.

There's another one on NCN818 but there is a footbridge there so you don't have to ride/wade through it.

The 5th bit of off-road is the Elan Valley cycle path up to Craig Goch dam.

U.N.Dulates

• aka John Hamilton
« Reply #47 on: 22 September, 2017, 06:56:58 pm »
Re Bwlch y Groes, looks like the 600 takes the left at the top for the final bit of climbing, whereas the 400 turns right. Mind you, if I want to tick that off the list of 100 greatest cycling climbs I'll need to do the extra bit. Or maybe come back another day!

600 goes straight on over the summit. 400 turns right to head back down the Eunant valley to Lake Vyrnwy.

Chris N

« Reply #48 on: 22 September, 2017, 07:02:56 pm »
Thanks John. Looks like all of the of road stuff will be done by tea time.  ;)

The text on the 400 BP page mentions going to Bala then over the Hirnaunt Pass the to Lake Vyrnwy.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #49 on: 22 September, 2017, 07:07:47 pm »
The text on the 400 BP page mentions going to Bala then over the Hirnaunt Pass the to Lake Vyrnwy.

Yes, and in contradiction to the map. I pointed this out to Blacksheep a few days ago - he says he'll fix it, but didn't say which version is correct  :D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles