Author Topic: Wheezing track pump  (Read 1316 times)

mr endon

Wheezing track pump
« on: 04 October, 2010, 07:33:55 am »
Zilch pressure from 16yr old Silca when I went to firm up the commuter's tyres this morning. Not the chuck; it's in the barrel, tired leather washer most probably.
I've heard these are easy to service/revive/replace, but a cursory glance - pre first cup of tea of the day it must be said - left me none-the-wiser.
I'm guessing the 'cap' to the tube comes off once the small retaining screws are out, rather than going in through the base, but it didn't want to budge this morning.
Anyone?

mr endon

Re: Wheezing track pump
« Reply #1 on: 04 October, 2010, 07:42:32 am »
Supplementary: have found a pdf!
Though any tips still appreciated.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #2 on: 04 October, 2010, 08:37:40 am »
Be warned that not all washers that are advertised as being for certain Silca pumps do actually fit or work well.  I could do with a better one for mine as well: Super Pista.

I can't remember exactly how I took mne apart.  Just undo some screws and pull!, I think.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 04 October, 2010, 09:07:16 am »
mr e, your suppositions are correct.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #4 on: 04 October, 2010, 03:19:53 pm »
I have a similar vintage Spesh track pump. I, ummm, put a little oil in the barrel (by dribbling it through the hole where the rod comes through the top cap) when my washer dried out...  Seems to be working some 5 yrs later, and it doesn't harm the butyl tubes I use  ;D
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

mr endon

« Reply #5 on: 04 October, 2010, 07:03:58 pm »
So, not the leather washer - moist, pliable yet firm on inspection. Took the opportunity to clean and regrease but no air into tyre.

Took the base off, cleaned round and re-seated tube washer which channels air between pinhole-in-base-of-barrel and pinhole-in-brass-pressure-gauge-unit thing. No air into tyre. Tube washer may be buggered of course, are these plump when new?

Next up it's into the brass unit in search of non-return valve springs and washers. Unless you know different and can save me the pfaff. It was a sudden and total failure. Wouldn't you expect intermittent problems under high pressure if a washer was getting a bit flakey/worn?

mr endon

« Reply #6 on: 17 October, 2010, 03:33:48 pm »
all sorted. New leather washer was all.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #7 on: 17 October, 2010, 03:47:33 pm »
Where did you get the washer from?

<Gets notebook ready>

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #9 on: 17 October, 2010, 04:47:27 pm »
<Adds to basket>

Thank you Mr Endon.

« Reply #10 on: 31 January, 2021, 08:31:35 pm »
Still available from SJS. As well as the lubricant. Should be able to get my ageing Silca going again - it's already had a hose kit from Topeak. Excellent :thumbsup:

Edit: dribbled in a bit of the conditioner and it's like having a new pump. Inflated a tyre from very soft in maybe 25 strokes. Tremendous difference :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: