Author Topic: How to edit comments/notes on specific .gpx waymarks?  (Read 1838 times)

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
How to edit comments/notes on specific .gpx waymarks?
« on: 21 November, 2018, 01:34:43 pm »
Please bear with me, I'm new to this stuff and realise I'm likely to be doing things all wrong and over complicating matters ::-)

I've managed to input 50 or so OS grid refs into GridReferenceFinder.com to indicate OS Benchmark locations. Then exporting that file to .kml (seemed the only option available) - then converting that to .gpx (with GPSBabel), so I could load it into the MapOut app on my iPhone.

In MapOut the Waypoints are listed all fine and dandy by OS Grid Ref numbers with an auxillary comment/note space below. Currently these all give the upload date and "converted by GridReferenceFinder.com"

I would like to replace that auxillary text with something useful - ie specific location details off of the OS Benchmark spreadsheet source, ie "NBM SW FACE ABUT BR 4.0M SE FENCE JUNC SE SIDE RD" which translates to "New benchmark on the SW face of bridge wall abutment, 4m southeast of the fence junction on the southeast side of the road :)

It is possible to do that on the phone but it's a pain as the keyboard is tiny and copy and pasting the OS details isn't possible? So Captain Cock Up would have a field day!

So I tried opening the .gpx file in gpxeditor.co.uk and edited the auxillary comment/notes there. But it didn't transfer over onto the newly saved file when opened by MapOut :(

Any suggestions gratefully received.

If it helps, here's the link to the gridreferencefinder.com data  https://tinyurl.com/y7jwvjfx

Ben T

Re: How to edit comments/notes on specific .gpx waymarks?
« Reply #1 on: 21 November, 2018, 02:57:18 pm »
So I tried opening the .gpx file in gpxeditor.co.uk and edited the auxillary comment/notes there. But it didn't transfer over onto the newly saved file when opened by MapOut

Please check whether the comments you expect to see are in the downloaded .gpx file by opening it in a text editor.
If they are, then it's an issue with your MapOut app.

However if they're not, then if you email me ( admin at gpxeditor .co.uk ) what your screen looks like when you've done this, and expected and actual .gpx files, then I can take a look and advise.

expected = what you would like/expect the gpx file to look like (or an example thereof)
actual = the file that you then downloaded after you'd edited the names

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #2 on: 21 November, 2018, 03:47:54 pm »
Many thanks Ben T  :thumbsup:

I'll get on it tomorrow and report back

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #3 on: 21 November, 2018, 06:09:21 pm »
There's also a subtle distinction between the apparently similar attributes 'Comment' and 'Description'.
According to the GPX schema:
element name="cmt"    GPS waypoint comment. Sent to GPS as comment.
element name="desc"  A text description of the element. Holds additional information about the element intended for the user, not the GPS.

when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #4 on: 22 November, 2018, 09:47:59 am »

Please check whether the comments you expect to see are in the downloaded .gpx file by opening it in a text editor.
If they are, then it's an issue with your MapOut app.

This appears to be the case  :(

Here's the sequence of screenshots to illustrate: