Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 439067 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #1900 on: 22 May, 2020, 10:18:39 am »
Mrs Ham come up all excited - "just seen on Facebook, they're selling the sandals you use cheap - here's the website" Sure enough , €20 instead of €120. Excitement excitement. And they have my size in stock, most sizes apparently. And a pair of hiking shoes for Mrs Ham. That's exciting. Payment.......No PayPal? Ah well, Card......payment fail

Feckity Feckity feck feck

Anyone watching carefully will have noticed a few red flags. 

Oh well. Card stopped within minutes.

The scam website is eccoeustore.com

Didn't someone else fall for exactly the same site and document it here? Maybe I imagined it.

The true mistake is sandals, of course, I hate feet. And toes, oh god, toes. I can't look at bare feet without feeling icky. I fear summer and the season of the feet. Winter is fine, those feet and their ten malformed terrors are securely ensconced in boots and sensible footwear. Then the sun comes out and the horror is unleashed.

Any time the boots come off the horror is unleashed. And the dog rolls on the socks.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #1901 on: 22 May, 2020, 10:20:13 am »
Didn't someone else fall for exactly the same site and document it here? Maybe I imagined it.

Might well have done. Given the way I rode roughshod over everything I know, I wasn't about to remember a simple direct warning, was I?

ian

« Reply #1902 on: 22 May, 2020, 10:21:59 am »

Might well have done. Given the way I rode roughshod over everything I know, I wasn't about to remember a simple direct warning, was I?

I was wondering if it was you and you've in fact lost your mind.

If you put your credit card details here between the lines

------------------

------------------

we will keep them secure for you.

« Reply #1903 on: 22 May, 2020, 10:53:03 am »

I was wondering if it was you and you've in fact lost your mind.

I'm sorry, are you questioning the validity of my season ticket to this thread?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1904 on: 22 May, 2020, 01:40:22 pm »

In .NL the most payment cards issued use either vpay or maestro, meaning they can't be used for online payments. They also have no buyer protection when used in bricks and mortar stores.

To get round the fact they don't work online, there is a payment system called iDeal, which is basically a wrapper for a simple bank transfer.

A family member of a friend the other day placed an order for something on a website, paid the €50 with iDeal, and then slowly over the course of a few days, realised that they had been scammed. They called the police, who recorded it as a crime. They then contacted their bank and told them, expecting the bank to sort it out. The bank then told them in no certain terms "Not our problem, goodbye".

The same family had been telling me that maestro/vpay/iDeal is much better than using a creditcard, or even a UK style debit card which works online. Hard not to say I told you so...

That said, I placed an order for some Hydroponics nutrient recently, paid with paypal. Then got notified it was out of stock, and got a credit invoice. I phoned them asking about the refund. They said they would, then I haven't heard from them. I have opened a dispute with paypal. I am now waiting to see what paypal say about it. If paypal don't, then it also went to my credit card, so I'll talk to the bank then.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #1905 on: 22 May, 2020, 03:00:23 pm »
I've literally spent years looking for the V5C for my car after noting its absence from the Desk Drawer Of Important Documents.

Been digging through boxes of old paperwork, behind furniture, tearing the place apart, anywhere it might be.

Today I found it.

In the Desk Drawer Of Important Documents.

In an envelope!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1906 on: 22 May, 2020, 03:44:25 pm »
I've literally spent years looking for the V5C for my car after noting its absence from the Desk Drawer Of Important Documents.

Been digging through boxes of old paperwork, behind furniture, tearing the place apart, anywhere it might be.

Today I found it.

In the Desk Drawer Of Important Documents.

In an envelope!

I have a Desk Drawer of Important Documents.  In my study. It's very useful, in so much that,  if I am looking for an Important Document, I know it definitely won't be in there, so that cuts down the number of places I need to look.
If only the same applied to the Kitchen Drawer of Horror, where anything shall be stuffed.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #1907 on: 22 May, 2020, 08:37:19 pm »
In an attempt to increase the speed of my fathers ageing iMac I persuaded him to buy an SSD.  What he ordered appears to be a hybrid.  I had this in my external caddy to clone his existing drive across, caught the cable & sent it hurtling to the floor.  It now appears to be an ex drive.   Disk Utility says it's OK , but I can't write anything to it  :facepalm:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1908 on: 23 May, 2020, 06:36:12 am »
Would post this in the rant thread but have to admit it's kind of my fault...

Just noticed a charge on my credit card for a £95 annual subscription to dropbox.

Hang on one cotton-pickin' minute, didn't you feckers email me just a couple of weeks ago to say you were closing my account?

<checks>

Oh, that account, not this one...  :facepalm:

Have grinked dropbox customer services (despite them trying to hide the link, I managed to find it). Let's see how reasonable they're feeling... have recently had success in demanding a refund on an unwanted autorenewal.

Trouble is I received two emails close together with the same subject line, and I only opened one of them - which was the one relating to the account they were closing. Didn't occur to me that the other email might relate to a different account. I didn't even know I had two dropbox accounts.

However, when I logged in, I saw a notification that my credit card details had expired - and yet they've charged me anyway? That doesn't sound right. They shouldn't be able to do that, surely?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

« Reply #1909 on: 24 May, 2020, 04:46:05 pm »
Have grinked dropbox customer services (despite them trying to hide the link, I managed to find it). Let's see how reasonable they're feeling... have recently had success in demanding a refund on an unwanted autorenewal.

Follow up: they replied promptly and issued the refund, no questions asked. Actually pretty impressed with the customer service.

(Makes note to check through bank statements for other recurring payments that might be due soon to avoid future divvery...)

« Reply #1910 on: 24 May, 2020, 08:52:57 pm »
Stay Alert!  Especially when picking your back teeth with a Swiss Army Knife.  Hint: using the steel tweezers instead of the plastic toothpick is an uncomfortable experience  :facepalm:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

citoyen

« Reply #1911 on: 25 May, 2020, 04:04:36 pm »
Rounded the bleed port screw on my rear brake lever.  >:(  :facepalm:

So very glad I avoided doing the same to the front brake - doubly so because that was in urgent need of attention. At least the rear brake will be OK for now. Just need to order a replacement and then work out how to get the duff screw out...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1912 on: 29 May, 2020, 08:34:27 am »
Quite pleased with the new plane handle I shaped recently. Last night I gave it a coat of gun-stock oil, turning it lovingly in my hands and oh bugger what's this? A fine pencil-line running top to bottom, now permanently beneath the oil. :facepalm:

MrsT: Well only you will know it's there
Me: Only me matters.

Maybe it'll disappear with another N coats, 0<N<∞.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1913 on: 29 May, 2020, 08:40:30 am »
And WTF, let's compound the foolany.  Before lockdown I was swapping chain lube from oil- to wax-based, and had certainly done the brand-new Ultegra chain that isn't on the bike yet.  And I know I had taken the current chain off and given it a good cleaning.

What I can't remember is what kind of lube is on it now, and four rides after lockdown ended it's looking pretty dry...

« Reply #1914 on: 31 May, 2020, 04:34:41 pm »
Gather round, gather round, masterclass in thread content to be delivered.

Here's how you could do it yourself.

Visit B&Q for a "Click & Collect" collection. Discover that actually it was a "B&" (queueless), rejoice in the fact and decide to get the few bits you've got on your "to buy" list. Find everything, hurrah! including the 2.4m of 1.5"x1.5" PAR. Step forward to the till, smile cheerfully at the assistant and thrust the timber forrard' for scanning. Consider that the total is high, but you know you have a tin of hammerite for which you don't know the price, plus some other stuffs, so think nothing of it.

Until that is you get home, when you see that you offered up the label for a pack of 4, not the single item.

Do It To Yourself.....

« Reply #1915 on: 01 June, 2020, 11:43:54 am »
When looking at the bottom of a coffee jar to check the best before date it's a good idea to make sure you've screwed the lid on.

This was a free public service announcement.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #1916 on: 01 June, 2020, 12:12:34 pm »
I have managed to burn my belly button.
Being topless whilst I remove a baking tray heated to Gas Mark 7, from the oven, was not the smartest of ideas.

ian

« Reply #1917 on: 01 June, 2020, 12:27:21 pm »
On the subject of nudity, part or total, once upon a time, many years ago, an, erm, friend of mine decided to tidy the rather unruly fields down below using an electric trimmer. That went well until encountering one of the more furrowed fields and getting a bit too close.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #1918 on: 01 June, 2020, 02:17:26 pm »
On the subject of nudity, part or total, once upon a time, many years ago, an, erm, friend of mine decided to tidy the rather unruly fields down below using an electric trimmer. That went well until encountering one of the more furrowed fields and getting a bit too close.

Mr. Foreskin meet Mr. Zip. Oh I see that you two have already met. Parting can be painful.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

ian

« Reply #1919 on: 01 June, 2020, 02:58:39 pm »
It was a different field allegedly, but from such a small nick, much blood is issued.

Of course, to avoid looking like you have Leo Sayer held hostage in your Speedos, it's probably worth it.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #1920 on: 01 June, 2020, 07:19:31 pm »
It was a different field allegedly, but from such a small nick, much blood is issued.

Of course, to avoid looking like you have Leo Sayer held hostage in your Speedos, it's probably worth it.

A mental image that will never leave me.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #1921 on: 01 June, 2020, 07:55:40 pm »
Better Buster Bloodvessel than Leo Sayer?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

ian

« Reply #1922 on: 01 June, 2020, 08:29:58 pm »
I don't think anyone wants to see an epic 70s style pube perm that looks like someone has electrocuted a poodle framing their budgie smuggling operation. It's certainly not something I want to see. Pubes, to be honest, are up there with toes on my gross-o-meter. And that stuff that grows out of blokes' ears.

« Reply #1923 on: 10 June, 2020, 06:59:46 am »
Y'know, it makes sense to get the best value from a season ticket, like mine to this thread.

I'm getting reasonably OK at mig welding, at least I can mostly tell why the weld looks manky, so it has to be time to try a bit of stick welding (also as I need to do some outside stuff).  Now, I bought me a pack of electrodes a while back, only I haven't been able to find them for months. Ah! look! on the bottom of the trolley. Odd, there's no bare metal to stick in the stick holder. Never mind, scrape off some flux and spend some time wondering just why I can't get anything that looks like a weld. I can punch a hole in 3mm sheet. I can get spatter like you've not seen. But weld? nah.

On the positive side I have now added to the sum of my knowledge that you cannot weld with brazing rods. Also, remembering that an unmarked packet contains brazing rods is not a given, even if they are stored next to other marked brazing rod packets.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1924 on: 24 June, 2020, 11:11:25 am »
A bit of minor divvery

I’ve just received a new bright head torch in the post. Being a techie, I threw the instructions out with the packaging. There are two buttons to control it and neither seemed to be doing much, so of course I looked at the front of the torch to see what was going on. I timed it perfectly, looking at the led at exactly the same moment that my random pressing of the two buttons successfully allowed the electrons to flow. I’m currently typing this with one eye closed...
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.