Author Topic: BB30 - best alternative/replacement BB standard?  (Read 4973 times)

Re: BB30 - best alternative/replacement BB standard?
« Reply #25 on: 12 May, 2020, 05:12:34 pm »
The product review I linked to says that the bike has a Gossamer. It's definitely an FSA, but I wouldn't know a Gossamer if it bit my shin (which chainrings sometimes do of course).

I've only ever seen one bolt. I replaced the bolt when we re-fitted it the first time. There was no sign of missing bits, but I suppose that stranger things have happened. Anyway, I think we'll follow the consensus here and go Hollowtech. If we'd been able to get one of those FSA sleeves in, I think it would have been square taper. I'm all for simplicity.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #26 on: 12 May, 2020, 05:21:04 pm »
The product review I linked to says that the bike has a Gossamer. It's definitely an FSA, but I wouldn't know a Gossamer if it bit my shin (which chainrings sometimes do of course).

I have a feeling Gossamer might just have been the name they gave to their range of cranksets for road bikes. But I may be wrong.

Probably out of date now anyway.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #27 on: 23 May, 2020, 02:34:38 pm »
Well, the bike now has the Wheels Manufacturing adaptor that I linked to above, and a Tiagra Hollowtech chainset. Fitting was an easy job, and I'm hopeful that that is the end of that. Thanks all for the advice.

It would appear that the principal achievement of BB30/PF30 designs is to create a market in replacing themselves.

Do the Hollowtech cranks themselves shield the sealed bearing units from muck and grime?

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #28 on: 24 May, 2020, 01:22:45 am »
I suppose they do to a degree, but the bearing units seem fairly well sealed anyway. I went through a bit of a run of 5700/6700 Shimano BBs a few years ago when they seemed to not want to last more than a few thousand miles, but the 6600 generation, and the 6800 and later models seem to be pretty long-lasting.