Author Topic: Now I remember how much I hate anatomic bars  (Read 930 times)

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
Now I remember how much I hate anatomic bars
« on: 18 November, 2009, 07:09:47 pm »
Never liked them, they give one comfortable hand position at the expense of a couple of others. And they put my fingers out of reach of the levers. Curved bars are back "in fashion" now, but there were some lean years when I had to hoard any 40cm ones I could find.

So I decide this morning I'll take that pair off my least-used bike and utilise a nice curved Profile H2O bar I've had lying around as a spare for years. I couldn't get them out of the stem! I got to a sharp bend and they wouldn't budge. The anodising had been scraped off on one side, which I know realise was from the LBS originally installing it. After lots of swivelling, pulling and pushing the edges of the stem clamp had developed a nasty burr and the bar wasn't coming out any further, and I couldn't even get it back out the other way for another attempt. A hacksaw was the only option, then 10 minutes with wet & dry smoothing off the burr on the stem. The curved bar went in without hardly touching the sides!

Chris N

Re: Now I remember how much I hate anatomic bars
« Reply #1 on: 18 November, 2009, 07:32:20 pm »
Serves you right for using a shit stem.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #2 on: 20 November, 2009, 11:02:14 am »
Serves you right for using a shit stem.

;D ;D ;D
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #3 on: 20 November, 2009, 11:17:35 am »
Nothing wrong with the stem, my other bars slip in and out without getting stuck.