Author Topic: It's tandem day!  (Read 20712 times)

Re: It's tandem day!
« Reply #75 on: 29 May, 2008, 09:13:07 am »

JD have a quad, you know...

:demon:

I know, sounds like fun.  LEL anyone?  :thumbsup:

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #76 on: 29 May, 2008, 09:18:18 am »
Jasmine - step away from the quad!

;D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #77 on: 29 May, 2008, 09:32:10 am »

Not even half as droolingly gorgeous as their carbon tandem.... :p
Getting there...

alan

« Reply #78 on: 29 May, 2008, 11:11:01 am »

Not even half as droolingly gorgeous as their carbon tandem.... :p

was that on display at CTC York last year? @ £10k-ish.
IIRC it had saddles branded as Butterfly ;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #79 on: 29 May, 2008, 11:14:45 am »
Yes, it was, and it did, and it was noticed ;)

What I like about that machine is that it gets taken down off the showroom stand regularly, gets a good workout round the Dales, then gets put back.
Getting there...

alan

« Reply #80 on: 29 May, 2008, 12:08:38 pm »
I am hoping that Marj's bionic plastic knee gives her enough flex to be able to ride stoker again on our tandem.
I could then justify an upgrade to a Longstaff :)

annie

« Reply #81 on: 29 May, 2008, 12:09:48 pm »
I think I have tandem fever. :-\

« Reply #82 on: 29 May, 2008, 12:26:57 pm »

I think it worked out at more like £12Kish (we nearly did).  Those nice folks at J&D also do an outstanding line in 0% finance....

As for the butterfly saddles, Jasmine is persevering with hers, but mine got binned after the first 200k ride and has been replaced by a Brooks.  It was just the wrong shape for me.

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

alan

« Reply #83 on: 29 May, 2008, 12:50:50 pm »

Those nice folks at J&D also do an outstanding line in 0% finance....

mmmmm.......interesting(no pun intended)

« Reply #84 on: 30 May, 2008, 12:01:39 am »

I want one too; would need a stoker though...
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

vince

« Reply #85 on: 31 May, 2008, 02:22:56 pm »
A few more years and not a problem surely!

annie

« Reply #86 on: 31 May, 2008, 02:26:22 pm »

I want one too; would need a stoker though...

:thumbsup: Would love to be your stoker but by the time I set off to meet you it would be bed time by the time I arrived.

« Reply #87 on: 31 May, 2008, 02:34:37 pm »

How old does a *young* girl, say my daughter! ::-), need to be to ride a tandem?

Annie, you'd be welcome if Baby G does not feel too jealous!

« Reply #88 on: 31 May, 2008, 02:39:42 pm »
I have a small wheel tandem that my niece rode when she was 5, without kiddie cranks. With kiddie cranks, I've seen chidren not much more than 2 stoking. :thumbsup:
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #89 on: 31 May, 2008, 02:41:21 pm »
I have a small wheel tandem that my niece rode when she was 5, without kiddie cranks. With kiddie cranks, I've seen chidren not much more than 2 stoking. :thumbsup:

Hummm...  O:-)

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #90 on: 31 May, 2008, 02:47:23 pm »
There's a very little one near me who stokes (although that might be a bit of an exaggeration) with kiddie-cranks, but s/he (can't tell) has some sort of back-support so s/he's not sitting unsupported on the saddle.  I think the child's two or three - old enough to talk.  I suppose it might be four, but then it'd be going into nursery with its older brother.

Every time I see them (outside the Steiner nursery) I have an urge to rush over and inspect the tandem, but I think my intentions might be mistaken for an urge to rush over and inspect the child, so I have merely looked from afar. 

« Reply #91 on: 31 May, 2008, 02:48:35 pm »
More hummm!

« Reply #92 on: 31 May, 2008, 02:52:13 pm »

Hummm...  O:-)
Are you coming to the York Rally? There are always some interesting set-ups there. Otherwise, look at the family cycling page of the The Tandem Club. There are some great ideas there. :D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #93 on: 31 May, 2008, 02:56:26 pm »
No, I'll be working probably, as I am now... At the moment we use a Limo seat on the Raven, but later... a tandem would be cool!! (until it becomes uncool I guess!  ::-))

annie

« Reply #94 on: 31 May, 2008, 03:03:22 pm »

How old does a *young* girl, say my daughter! ::-), need to be to ride a tandem?

I think I may have a future in stoking, perhaps I have finally found my niche in life :)

« Reply #95 on: 31 May, 2008, 03:05:31 pm »

I think I may have a future in stoking, perhaps I have finally found my niche in life :)

I'm sure you're worth much more than that; having said that I'd be happy being a cyclist mainly! (if I could!)

Anyway, must keep an eye on the tandem market in the mid term future. Will keep you posted!

annie

« Reply #96 on: 31 May, 2008, 03:07:05 pm »

I'm sure you're worth much more than that; having said that I'd be happy being a cyclist mainly! (if I could!)

Anyway, must keep an eye on the tandem market in the mid term future. Will keep you posted!

Is nice to have something to be excited about and to look forward to though :)  My Silk Road is outside in the garden getting a breath of fresh air, whilst I am pottering I think I might take some pictures.  I am a happy bunny

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #97 on: 31 May, 2008, 08:01:40 pm »
And it's not 'the black ship..'

Yes it is. Listen carefully.

Geeky, pedantic and petty ;D

But b/Black s/Ship would be a crap name for this beautiful machine anyway. Speaking of which, has it been settled yet?

My immediate thought is that she ought to be able to cycle upright on her own (with/without stabilisers - would you be thinking of going without stabilisers to teack G anyway? That's the plan here) before putting her on the back of a tandem, but am I being too cautious? Or would that still be too soon?

Perhaps this needs its own thread...
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #98 on: 13 February, 2009, 10:57:41 am »

Can she reach the pedals? Then she is old enough. One of the (now ex-) students in the lab did her first century aged 5 on the back of a tandem. My kids were on the back of Igor as soon as they could, the youngest was 4 I think when I built it and he had no trouble at all.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #99 on: 13 February, 2009, 11:15:32 am »
My daughter was 3 when we put her on a Rann trailer (12" frame and kiddy cranks to bring it down to 10.5").

On tandems, kiddy cranks, mounted on the rear sear tube and with their own drive chain, are useful. They don't fit all tandems - marathon frames and oversize tubing are problematical. I've seen a 'safety cage' using a third set of bars mounted on the rear seat pin and connected to the stokers bars with metal tube.