Author Topic: Tandem Identification / Value  (Read 3143 times)

chris

• (aka chris)
Tandem Identification / Value
« on: 27 June, 2008, 05:00:24 pm »
Some friends in the village where we live are thinking of selling their tandem. It is about 40 years old and has been well looked after. About 10 years ago it was resprayed and restored (possibly by Longstaffs). It belonged to one of my friends parents, and they seem to think it may be a Longstaff, but the lugs look a bit more substantial than I would expect from a Longstaff. Could anyone throw some light on the make / value?

Re: Tandem Identification / Value
« Reply #1 on: 27 June, 2008, 05:02:25 pm »
That's an interesting rear hub...  what is it?  (Other than Sturmey Archer ::-))

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #2 on: 27 June, 2008, 06:12:24 pm »
That's an interesting rear hub...  what is it?  (Other than Sturmey Archer ::-))

Don't ask me, but it has two gear cables, so there's plenty of scope for fettling!!

« Reply #3 on: 27 June, 2008, 10:32:45 pm »
Lugs and Williams chainset look similar to my late 1930's Raleigh tandem. This was the heyday of tandem ownership and many survived, but some similar were still being produced in the 50's

Does the 5 speed rear hub have a number stamped on it? If it is original it's likely to be mid 60's - 70's Lots of info at the Sturmey History site. The 1971 catalogue is probably most useful for this hub.

Yes Nutty - I still know all the best websites.  ;)
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #4 on: 27 June, 2008, 10:46:27 pm »
Lugs and Williams chainset look similar to my late 1930's Raleigh tandem. This was the heyday of tandem ownership and many survived, but some similar were still being produced in the 50's

Agreed. Certainly not a Longstaff. Absolute latest date would be very early 60s. Not a bad frame, though. Better than double gents.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 30 June, 2008, 09:53:10 am »
Those SA levers will be much later than the original machine, which is a bit distracting.
Getting there...