Author Topic: Wireless computer for stoker  (Read 3045 times)

rdaviesb

Wireless computer for stoker
« on: 27 September, 2008, 06:09:37 pm »
Can the assembled experts please recommend one? Budget not a problem.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
Re: Wireless computer for stoker
« Reply #1 on: 27 September, 2008, 10:10:47 pm »
I tried to get a wireless computer working for my stoker, I put the sensor/transmitter on the back wheel, but I found the distance to the stoker bars was just too far.

Now, I've got a GPS mount on the stoker bars, so I can put my GPS there which shows speed & distance for the stoker.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #2 on: 27 September, 2008, 10:25:57 pm »
Transmitter to computer distance needs to be under 500mm usually. Could be a problem.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

agagisgroovy

• Formely yellow-ceitidh
« Reply #3 on: 27 September, 2008, 10:30:13 pm »
I had a wired computer on the back of the tandem, and then one when I had the back seat of the triplet, before my mum nicked it to put on her shiny Roberts. It was a CatEye Mity3. It has one slight drawback - it blanks out at around 50mph. I'm not sure what the wiring was on it though.  ;D

The only time I tried a wireless computer was on my solo. It was a cheap one that never worked properly, so it now lives in the bottom of a bits box.

gordon taylor

« Reply #4 on: 28 September, 2008, 06:46:51 am »
You could mount the computer on the stoker's seatpost and give them a little mirror with which to read it? Sorted.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 28 September, 2008, 06:54:12 pm »
Could put it on the stoker's top tube?
Getting there...

« Reply #6 on: 29 September, 2008, 02:42:35 pm »
We have a VDO wireless unit on the back of the Santana.  The sensor is as far forward as possible on the chainstay.  It does the job, although I fancy we need to change the batteries a little more often than we otherwise would...

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #7 on: 29 September, 2008, 02:45:48 pm »
I had a wired computer on the back of the tandem, and then one when I had the back seat of the triplet, before my mum nicked it to put on her shiny Roberts. It was a CatEye Mity3. It has one slight drawback - it blanks out at around 50mph. I'm not sure what the wiring was on it though.  ;D

The only time I tried a wireless computer was on my solo. It was a cheap one that never worked properly, so it now lives in the bottom of a bits box.

I had to extend the wiring, as the standard wire is not long enough. The 50mph thing is probably to do with magnet strength / distance from the sensor.

rdaviesb

« Reply #8 on: 30 September, 2008, 12:10:02 am »
We have a VDO wireless unit on the back of the Santana.  The sensor is as far forward as possible on the chainstay.  It does the job, although I fancy we need to change the batteries a little more often than we otherwise would...

AC

Which VDO model? Or do they all have the same wireless range?

« Reply #9 on: 30 September, 2008, 09:39:39 am »

AC

Which VDO model? Or do they all have the same wireless range?

We have two; a one of these:

VDO C2-DS Digital Wireless Cycle Computer Only £26.59

and the slightly better spec'ed version from the same range.  They are interchangeable.

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

rdaviesb

« Reply #10 on: 30 September, 2008, 07:19:43 pm »
Brill. They both do more than enough some I'm off for a Wiggle.