Author Topic: The Buzzard 2019  (Read 3501 times)

The Buzzard 2019
« on: 30 May, 2019, 08:58:35 pm »
I have sent out the welcome emails to all entrants.  Check your spam box if you haven't seen one.  (Exe-Buzzard riders will see something next week).

I have a couple of offers of help at the start (0700 8th June, LB station), but the more the merrier.

JJ

Re: The Buzzard 2019
« Reply #1 on: 04 June, 2019, 04:26:32 pm »
Who else is riding this?  Is ANYONE else riding this?
It'll be my first 600 in a long time, and I'm not full of confidence!

« Reply #2 on: 04 June, 2019, 04:37:04 pm »

Just you .

...and about 50 others.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #3 on: 04 June, 2019, 06:20:28 pm »

Just you .

...and about 50 others.

Personal service.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

JJ

« Reply #4 on: 04 June, 2019, 06:54:51 pm »
...and about 50 others.

Well they're very quiet!  Obviously the silent hard-bitten type of AUK you'd expect on an IanH ride.

« Reply #5 on: 04 June, 2019, 07:25:45 pm »
There is one entrant who gives his club as YACF.  Not that I know who he might be here.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #6 on: 04 June, 2019, 07:47:17 pm »
Current forecast is fairly dry but strong headwind on way out, I'll take that! :)

« Reply #7 on: 04 June, 2019, 08:19:24 pm »
This’ll be my third Buzzard, cycling to the start from MK, unless I’m needed to collect my daughter from Cardiff uni. Happy to cycle along with anyone lacking in confidence. Not planning on sleeping, just resting in a McD on the return leg.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #8 on: 04 June, 2019, 08:45:35 pm »
This’ll be my third Buzzard, cycling to the start from MK, unless I’m needed to collect my daughter from Cardiff uni. Happy to cycle along with anyone lacking in confidence.

What about those lacking in speed.....?
CCS - Setting the Standards

« Reply #9 on: 04 June, 2019, 09:27:21 pm »
This’ll be my third Buzzard, cycling to the start from MK, unless I’m needed to collect my daughter from Cardiff uni. Happy to cycle along with anyone lacking in confidence.

You can move when you want to!

« Reply #10 on: 06 June, 2019, 05:18:48 pm »
This’ll be my third Buzzard, cycling to the start from MK, unless I’m needed to collect my daughter from Cardiff uni. Happy to cycle along with anyone lacking in confidence. Not planning on sleeping, just resting in a McD on the return leg.

Any tips on where is friendly for that? I vaguely recall Exeter services not complaining too much.

Phil W

« Reply #11 on: 06 June, 2019, 05:35:15 pm »

Handed out at the start. Don't take it till you get the dozies

« Reply #12 on: 06 June, 2019, 05:57:10 pm »

Any tips on where is friendly for that? I vaguely recall Exeter services not complaining too much.
I can't recall which McD my riding partner closed his eyes at on my first go at this, just that it was after dawn on the Sunday. I just rested. I think getting a shut eye depends on what manager is on.

« Reply #13 on: 06 June, 2019, 09:34:14 pm »
There's a 24hr Subway and a Dominos which closes at midnight just past the Sowton roundabout.  Saves you going down to the services.

« Reply #15 on: 10 June, 2019, 11:14:28 pm »
76 entries have whittled down to 21 likely finishers, possibly fewer.  A large number of DNSes, probably entering this as insurance, skews the numbers, but still!

« Reply #16 on: 11 June, 2019, 10:44:29 am »
I was thinking about being a DNS for various reasons (rain forecast and headwind to Exeter, stuff to do at home, daughter coming home from uni, already done my PBP qualifiers if I still go, not sure if any friends would turn up, etc), but then I thought the six points were a good incentive to reach my main goal of the year of the 10,000 award.

I actually got a few hours kip before getting up about 5am for a planned 5:45 departure (only a 12.5 mile cycle to the start, no ECE, and giving me time to eat the crunchy yoghurt cereal pot for brekky at the station start). As usual, I left late (6am), and arrived around 10 mins before the start. Pleased to see Diesel and Idai helping there, and fellow TMKer David, also the Straggler, ready to take part. The chatting meant I didn't get to eat, but I was looking forward to the ride more now, even with the rain.

I'd done this event in the last two LEL years, but a poor memory meant I couldn't remember a lot of the scenery, controls etc, so some of the climbs came as a shock, but others weren't (like the one out of Bath). My taste buds seemed better this time (I usually go off food during the second half of longer Audaxes), and I found myself enjoying the Costa cheese and mushroom toastie at Chandler's Ford, chips before Sherborne (after the Straggler saying we were approaching a chippy), probably the best macaroni cheese at the Exeter Costa services, and the veggie Subway at Brackley (I didn't need food then and could have saved nearly 30 mins but I wanted a treat). My only regret was having crisps with my pint instead of a veggie burger and chips at the Salisbury Wetherspoons (I had company). I had some interesting company in places, especially the Farringdon Fixie ECEing to 1000 (chapeau!). I didn't enjoy the insect company as the weather warmed up after Bath though.

Anyway, I enjoyed the ride, maybe not all the climbs, and I slept well in my bed (after starting off on the sofa). Thanks Ian and friends!

JJ

« Reply #17 on: 11 June, 2019, 01:01:41 pm »
Bikeabilityman's report has enough touchpoints with my own recollection of the ride that I suspect it may well have been his wheel I sucked most of the way to Sherborne.   Thanks for that, Bikeabilityman!

I've been out of this game enough that the only person I recognised at the start was the org, who was gently teasing me about an incident a good ten years ago in which a driver going the other way fell asleep at the wheel and had a good go at curtailing my riding career.  I just had time to find the facilities and check that there was a cashpoint for a finish receipt before it was time to head out.

It was an unusual and welcome experience to depart with the main group.  Usually I'm still getting ready when they go but a nice group was ver welcome into the headwind, albeit with some "little moments" as folks lost concentration.  It halved at Aylesbury after some impromptu cyclo-cross to save about 100m of riding, and was no more (that I know of) after Pangbourne.

The Garden Cafe in Pangbourne, on the left before the give-way, gets top marks for quick and friendly, so does the Warehouse Cafe in Fisherton Street Salisbury.  That was where I lost touch with whom I presume was BaM, as my dislike of Whitherspoons overcame me.

I saw BaM and friend a few more times, but we were out of sync an never really linked up again.  In any case he is far too strong for me on the hills, where wheelsucking doesn't help.  Also saw Oxford Ron and mates a few times but there was clearly no chance of my keeping up with them either.  The next time I saw them, they were heading north out of Exeter as I rolled in.

After Sherborne, the hills and then sleepiness started really to slow me down and by Honiton I was in a bit of a state.  I'd overestimated the night-time temperature and I was frozen to the bone when I stopped for a coffee from a trailer in the high street.  It didn't really warm me up but it did wake me up enough for the ride into Exeter.  I spent far too long consuming the most expensive coke and crisps on the planet and the last portion of maccaroni cheese so that when I headed out to find my sleep stop, I was way behind schedule.

I checked in anyway for a shower and bit of kip.  I'm really glad I did, even though I messed up setting the alarm and overslept, so that I didn't leave there till a little after six.  After that, it was a bit of slo-mo TT to get back on time before Wells.  I passed one rider and he was the last Awk I saw all day.  I saw plenty of roadies out though and lots of leisure cyclists enjoying the Somerset lanes.

Wells was a delight.  I'd clawed back about half an hour, and spent it on the best bacon and scrambled eggs I've ever tasted, at Andres Cafe, beside St Cuthbert's church.  Sitting in the sun outside, and catching up on my Turkish practice, a lady passing by thought my breakfast was talking to me.  Unusual that, Turkish-speaking bacon.

From there on was just a long solo slog, catching up a bit of time then losing it again at a control.  The back started to ache, the knees too.  Ibuprofen sorted that, but I'd be absolutely flying along and look at the computer to find I was doing 17kph.

Bath would be beautiful if it weren't for the perma-traffic jam.  Burford has gone the same way.

After Burford I amused myself with some applied psychology.  If the first car in a group leaves a decent gap, I give them a big wave and turn to smile and mouth "thank-you".  After that, as often as not, the next one will leave an even bigger gap, and so on down the line.  Of course it may have been the mad expression that did it, rather than the cheery wave.

Brackley was interesting on a Sunday evening.  At least I amused them, but I lost more time being served by Hazel and her Czech friend at the Crown Hotel.  You know that feeling when you've ordered something simple, and you realise this is all going to take so much longer than you've got?  So then it was a straightforward TT all the way to Leighton Buzzard, where I'm delighted to notice that one sees the occasional buzzard again.

I wouldn't necessarily have chosen to ride the A421 out of Buckingham at dusk, and I overshot the turn off to L-B so that I had to walk back up 100m of dual carriageway to take the other road in.

When I got the the station I found the cashpoint wouldn't give receipts so as it was knocking on the time-limit, Ian is now in possession of perhaps the worst selfie since the invention of instagram.

But I made it.  By about 3 minutes.

Thanks Ian

PS - I didn't realise we would be going down that exact stretch of road.  I looked, and the hedge has grown back where she went through it.

the straggler

« Reply #18 on: 11 June, 2019, 01:52:34 pm »
The pace to Pangbourne was too quick for me and ended riding solo after 16km into the headwind. Met up with Bikeabilityman at Pangbourne and was generously towed to Exeter services. I was approx 90 minutes up than on previous Buzzards. Upon leaving Exeter I began feeling unusually warm and there were no significant climbs to Wells.

After Taunton, I began feeling motion sickness, stopped by roadside to throw up but nothing came up, no solids or liquids. This was compounded with a sleepy head but I am used to having to overcome that. My legs were fine but now lacked motivation to keep a decent pace. Upon arrival at Wells at 7.30am I made a haste decision to bail out. Caught a bus to Bath and train back to the finish.

Looking back I wished I had tried to refuel at Wells on drinks as I lost appetite on solid food, try to press onto Bath hoping my appetite would return and then make a decision as to pursue to the finish or not. Not sure what caused the rough patch but I guess it was probably dehydration

I enjoyed the ride although being an event that I previously struggled on. A big thank you to BaM and those I also met on the road. I am hoping to return next year.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #19 on: 11 June, 2019, 02:11:01 pm »
Hard luck Strangler, although you seem to have taken something from your experience.

I just hope you haven't caught a dose of CBA like I have.

« Reply #20 on: 11 June, 2019, 02:28:02 pm »
JJ in the Auk jersey and LWL cap. The Straggler and I thought you looked old school. It was funny how we would leapfrog each other, and others, during the ride. I like to faff and spend longer enjoying controls (Wetherspoons!), than sleep, so maybe ride some sections quicker, especially downhill, with the accumulative weight of rider plus bike plus rack bag (containing unused spare tyre, three inners, emergency bars, etc). I hope the mac’n’cheese hit your spot like it hit mine.

Phil W

« Reply #21 on: 11 June, 2019, 02:41:17 pm »
Bad luck Strangler.

What's your next 600?

« Reply #22 on: 11 June, 2019, 06:31:39 pm »
Sorry to hear you had a bad turn Strangler. Two rules I have heard recently are never quit a ride before eating (not that that would have helped you on this occasion), and never quit at night. I’m now looking for other rules to cover the daytime ...

Well done to all who completed the ride. I had entered, but had to readjust my rides to fit in a nephew’s wedding. I let Ian know in good time, so I’m hopeful that I’m not on the naughty step.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

the straggler

« Reply #23 on: 11 June, 2019, 08:36:29 pm »
Bad luck Strangler.

What's your next 600?

I may do the Fenland & Friends. To prevent the dehydration issue again, you could ride a trike carrying a water barrel with tap and I can fill my bottles as and when it is necessary.

Two rules I have heard recently are never quit a ride before eating (not that that would have helped you on this occasion), and never quit at night. I’m now looking for other rules to cover the daytime ...

When you find out other rules to cover the daytime...... let me know.  ;)

Wells was a delight.  I'd clawed back about half an hour, and spent it on the best bacon and scrambled eggs I've ever tasted, at Andres Cafe, beside St Cuthbert's church.

Damm, missed a good brekky opportunity to overcome my low point on the ride.

Phil W

« Reply #24 on: 11 June, 2019, 09:42:08 pm »
Bad luck Strangler.

What's your next 600?

I may do the Fenland & Friends. To prevent the dehydration issue again, you could ride a trike carrying a water barrel with tap and I can fill my bottles as and when it is necessary.

I use a platypus in the rack pack on the recumbent.  It holds 2 litres from memory and let's me sip away as necessary. So hopefully will do a better job than on road bike where my bottles hold much less. Anyway I'm going to be super focused on ensuring dehydration / heat doesn't do me in weekend after next.