Author Topic: Broken radiator valve!  (Read 953 times)

Broken radiator valve!
« on: 31 July, 2022, 07:17:10 pm »
I was doing some painting yesterday, and my partner decided that it would be a good idea to remove the bathroom towel radiator to make it easier.

Which was all fine until, whilst refitting it, he managed to snap the end bit off the brass valve. :facepalm:

This is what it looks like now:

This is what the non-broken one on the other side looks like (spot the difference):

I'm not actually sure whether it's open or shut, as I can't turn it. Boiler pressure seems ok (a little high but within the acceptable range) and we have hot water (haven't tried heating), but I'm worried that if it's stuck in the wrong place, something terrible is going to happen.

I assume that to replace the valve, the whole system needs to be drained? Wondering whether this is going to be an expensive plumber job or if it's easy enough to replace it... :-\

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Broken radiator valve!
« Reply #1 on: 31 July, 2022, 07:32:27 pm »
Replacement isn't difficult BUT you obviously have to turn off the boiler and drain the whole system (or at least to below the level of the radiator if it's upstairs) - fit the new valve (Screwfix, no money) - you should be able to get away with re-using the retaining nut on the pipe - there is an "olive" that forms to seal - wrap PTFE tape around the olive when you tighten the nut.  You'll then need to refill the system, adding more rust inhibitor, and bleed the air from the system.

If you're confident with tools it's not hard - just take it slowly and carefully.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #2 on: 31 July, 2022, 07:41:20 pm »
OR    You invest in one of those freeze kits, and do it relatively quickly, ie , freeze pipe, undo nut remove valve, replace valve with a touch of 'jollop ' , and Bob's your Auntie's fancy man.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #3 on: 31 July, 2022, 07:47:58 pm »
Are the valves on both sides exactly the same?
Just manual valves?
If it's broken in the open position, or can be opened with water pump pliers, I'd be highly inclined to leave it well alone.

That thin bore pipe coming in from below is a total pig to work with, and will kink for looking at it wrong.
Sometimes, simply unscrewing the nut can twist the pipe into a helter-skelter.
Then, you need to look at how far back you can get to splice a new bit of pipe in.
Is it a floor-up job?

Unless you are very confident in your plumbing skills, no good will come of trying to replace that valve.
If you are *very* lucky, a replacement valve will have the same dimensions and thread, allowing you re-use the olive and nut on the pipe.
Life usually does not work that way.

You can tell if it's open or not by whether the thing gets hot!
Presumably you closed the valves to remove the radiator, so you must know whether it broke before you re-opened them or not?

From the picture, the remaining sticky-out bit is the bit that needs turning, and there's enough protruding to get a tool on it to open it.
You probably do want to open it, as bathroom towel rails are often the 'bypass' to allow flow when all the other thermostatic valves have shut.

Like I said, unless there's a compelling reason to replace it, leave it alone, open it in-situ with tools as required.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #4 on: 31 July, 2022, 08:06:34 pm »
Can you open the broken valve with a set of pliers?  Then leave it till the system needs to be drained down.

« Reply #5 on: 31 July, 2022, 08:17:33 pm »
Thanks folks - sounds like it's GAMI time as I'm not confident draining the system! Next time I'll just paint around the radiator (like I wanted to this time... >:().

Can you open the broken valve with a set of pliers?  Then leave it till the system needs to be drained down.

No - tried various pliers and have only managed to mangle the stump further. I'm fairly sure it's stuck in the closed position (wasn't me who was trying to turn it, but it got snapped before it could be turned).

Are the valves on both sides exactly the same?
Just manual valves?
If it's broken in the open position, or can be opened with water pump pliers, I'd be highly inclined to leave it well alone.

Alas, no, and it seems to be stuck in the closed position.

It doesn't. However, I'm now confused as to whether the other valve (the one that can be turned!) should be open or closed until it can be fixed by someone who knows what they're doing...I assume closed?

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #6 on: 31 July, 2022, 08:49:48 pm »

It doesn't. However, I'm now confused as to whether the other valve (the one that can be turned!) should be open or closed until it can be fixed by someone who knows what they're doing...I assume closed?

Both valves need to be open to get the radiator to work.
Having only the unbroken one open meantime is not a problem.

If it was turnable by hand to close it just a short time ago, then it is most certainly turnable by tool now. Just need the right tool (and turning in the right direction!).

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7 on: 01 August, 2022, 09:46:01 am »
Microbore tubing.  I would GAMI as it can twist or kink very easily.  If you DIY, have a roll of self-amalgamating tape handy, in case things go Pete Tong.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #8 on: 01 August, 2022, 10:08:28 am »
Unless you are confident with plumbing, I would GAMI. Leaks of radiator water are very messy and staining.

I would never every use PTFE with olives. Not only is it not necessary, but a crease in the PTFE will cause a leak rather than prevent it.

If you are concerned about scratches making the olive weep, use some LX joint sealant.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #9 on: 01 August, 2022, 10:19:05 am »
Get a decent plumber in.

They can swap a whole radiator without draining the system in <10 minutes.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #10 on: 01 August, 2022, 04:57:38 pm »
Get a decent plumber in.

They can swap a whole radiator without draining the system in <10 minutes.
This in spades for microbore!